Drum Breaks?

GRAFIK

Vinyl Addict
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
I am curious as to what you guys look for when you dig for drum breaks? I have been trying to step up my drum game lately..... I won't use any stock drums, I will only use breaks I find on vinyl. It keeps everything in the pocket and sounds so much better...

I personally try to look at the record and try and look for the breaks in the song. Please post your techniques for spoting those drum breaks...

Kaleidon

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
I am curious as to what you guys look for when you dig for drum breaks? I have been trying to step up my drum game lately..... I won't use any stock drums, I will only use breaks I find on vinyl. It keeps everything in the pocket and sounds so much better...

I personally try to look at the record and try and look for the breaks in the song. Please post your techniques for spoting those drum breaks...

well, i try to look for the most weird fucked up drum sounds.

Sometimes i won't even use a kick for a kick it will be a really detuned snare layered ontop of a sine thump.

and for percussion i usually look for a piece of vinyl with either a really ugly chick on the cover or a group of mexicans that usually works.

Pug

IllMuzik Mortician
ill o.g.
Spotting drums can be hard sometimes, it depends on the type of break, the levels of the drums, etc... some records it's really easy to spot, but others you have to really listen to the whole record. It's not an easy task that's for sure, and it requires a lot of patience. But, the reward can be worth it.

P_1

One of THE OG MEMBERS
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 38
Word, thanks for the info. My problem is all the record shops around me wont let me listen to the records. So I have to take out the record and physically look at it. You are right sometimes I can spot the breaks easily and other times I just get lucky.

thats pretty lame. Are the vinyl they sell brand new or something?

djjumpinjoe

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
Dont know if this will help but im about to post 3.5 gigs of drum sounds for the ILL fam as soon as i get done uploading them to my server (34,743 Files in 917 Folders)........ I figure if im not using them im sure most of u would get some use from them ....... I will start up a new thread when i finish uploading them

5th Sequence

Hip Hop Head, Certified
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 198
Does your local record store have a .50 cent bin? Mine does. I usually get $20 worth of records. shooting for quantity and keeping it in the 70's if I can. I do that just for random sounds and whatever drum hits might be out there. Helps to get unique sounds outside of the soul funk and jazz genres.

Break records are dope too though. no need to lift the whole break "as-is" off one of those, but replaying it over your own stuff can really give texture to a beat or whatever drums you already have programmed.

GRAFIK

Vinyl Addict
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
We should start a thread to share drum breaks. I have a ton of breaks already chopped up, that I am sure some of you would like. Are we allowed to do this moderators? If so when I get home this week I will post some shit up and anybody that wants to do can do the same can.

members online