Interviews Dre Williams

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
drewilliams1.jpg

De'Andre Williams, known as "Dre Williams" is from Charlotte, NC born and raised to the parents of Tammie Williams and James Barber. The 17 year old rapper writes music from various genres such as Hip Hop, Gospel, R&B, and Christian Rap. He's been perfecting this craft for 6 years and yet more is to come. He's worked with a wide range of local artists and he's beginning to expand his horizons in the industry. He's currently unsigned and has been independent for 6 years. Everything that you hear, see and read is all created by Dre Williams. He composes designs and manages all his music affairs. Look out North Carolina, another Hip Hop legend is on the rise.

Carolina Cuts has been playing Dre since the first show, as such I have heard his music improve and mature and I really like it, it's a mix of cynicism and hope lyrically and the music itself has a "next gen hip-hop" feel to it to me. Dre took the time to do an interview with us.

Can you introduce yourself?

Hello Entertainment World I'm Dre Williams, a Hip Hop recording artist, producer and composer. I'm 17 years young and I pray for more years to come.

Where in the Carolinas are you located?

I currently live in Charlotte, NC. I'm from the same state Hip Hop rising icon, J. Cole's from. Shout outs to Cole Man for doing his thing. He's a huge contribution to the music industry and we really appreciate him for it. He's not going to be up there by himself for long, Dre Williams is coming. It's all just a matter of time and work effort put behind this project I'm currently promoting.

Where are you from originally?

I'm originally from Charlotte, NC born and raised in a single parent household. A lot of young men can relate to being raised by a single mother but I just cannot give my mom enough credit for being a single mother, it's a lot of amenities that contributed to my upbringing. My mom worked two to three jobs throughout my whole childhood. This was not because she wanted all her bills paid on time; it was because my mom did not believe in raising her kids in rural areas or developments. She stepped out on faith and bought us a nice house. She did not want me or my younger brother to partake in the violence that surrounded us. This made her stand out from other single mothers. It would be times where she needed her hair done and she would take that money and buy us new shoes or new clothes. My mom sacrificed for us. I use to wonder what my purpose in life was. It finally hit me... music. I want to make my mom and GOD proud of what I'm doing. I want to show them that I appreciate what they have done for me. There is no way in the world I could pay them back, I but I can show them that I understand.

So, how did it all begin for you?

My rap career begun in the eighth grade. I was really composing and recording years prior to that but I was not taken serious until I proved to my mom that this was the career for me. I had to show her that this is the career I wanted to follow for the rest of my life. It all started in eighth grade at Coulwood Middle School, administrators and student council had begun to put together a talent show for school interest and fundraising. Now let me remind you my mom did not really take me serious. Every time I discussed music with her she made remarks such as "Boy stay yo butt in school" or "You can't get no job off of rapping"! This was it. I had to prove to her how bad I wanted it.

The same day I found out about the talent show, I signed up. Everyone around the school knew I rap so they were encouraging me to impress the people and that this was my chance. The night of the show came I was looking nice, well groomed, but I was very timid. Self-confidence played a major role that night. So I was behind stage next in line and the DJ yelled my name. Out of nowhere I gained energy and I ran onto the stage. Next thing I know I'm performing and the crowd was chanting. My mom eyes grew big all of a sudden and she stood up yelling "That's my baby"! That particular night made me who I am today. I may be De' Andre Williams from Charlotte but that night made me Dre Williams from North Carolina.

What was the first rap song you ever heard and where were you?

This is a hard question, I can't really remember the first rap song I have ever heard, but the first rap song I really liked I would have to say Kurtis Blow "Close To the Edge". This song is a true classic and Kurtis Blow is a true legend. I feel he is not given the credit he deserves. He was the first Hip Hop artist signed to a major record label which was Def Jam. You have to respect that because he has paid the way for many of us artists. So shout outs to Mr. Blow for that.

What was your first song that you dropped?

First track released by Dre Williams was "Wanna See Your Face". I released this particular track in 2006 which was right around the same time I was experiencing puppy love. This track was about a girl I really liked and the only way I was able to proceed through my days were to see her face. This track really set a lot of ground work and foundation for me progressing as an artist.

What were you before a full-fledged MC?

Before I was an MC, I was a snotty nose kid searching for my purpose in life.

Who inspired you and pushed you to become an artist?

My biggest inspiration I would say is society in general. I see a lot of detrimental effects and a lot of hardships people face and this motivated me to want to make change. I knew music is a huge aspect of life and everyone is affected by it, so why not change the world and society views through music.

drewilliams2.jpg

How many songs do you have completed?

As far as writing, I have over forty songs written. Recorded, I have a total of 30 songs recorded.

How would you describe your style?

My style differs from the average 17 year old. A lot of guys my age are into Jordan, Levi jean jackets, G-shocks, etc. My approach towards fashion is a bit different. I wear Stacy Adams, Levi jeans, Kangols, sweaters, blazers, etc. I have the age of a teenager but the appearance of a grown man. I don't appear this way to become an adult at an early age; I am this way because I am taken more seriously. When I dress this way and act in a certain manner, people respect me more. Also if you're the man of the house you have to act, dress, and present yourself as the man of the house. Style is not only associated with fads, it's also the way you carry yourself. Especially in my music. The music I compose is mainly for people in the struggle. This should be everyone. Everyone has struggled or went through something to get where they are at today.

Who or what would you say are your main influences?

My main influence in the Hip Hop game now I would definitely have to say J.Cole. I can truly relate to the struggles this man describes in his music. He was raised by a single parent and his mom worked hard to help him get to where he is today.

What is your favorite group or artist?

My favorite group is Outkast. This is the only group I know that lasted for years and still sound fresh and new as if they are new artist. They're versatile, different, and very entertaining. And these three qualities made them huge contributions to the music industry.

Who would you like to work with?

One person I would love to work with is Kanye West. For me to compose a song on a Kanye beat or for him to even feature on my song would be a big thing for me.

What was your greatest accomplishment?

I would have to say my greatest accomplishment was releasing my current mixtape which is called "WATCH EGNAHC"! From composing to A&R mixing, to graphic designing, I pretty much did what most artists leave to the label to handle. This release and composition of "WATCH EGNAHC" has really shaped me as an artist. It was not easy believe me, but I had to explore and be creative in order to come up with a master piece.

What do you think about the current state of Hip Hop?

The beats and the metaphors are nice! But as far as the overall messages behind songs, the game is suffering. There are no more "Dear Mamas", "Brenda Had A Baby", and "It Was All A Dream". Now a days it's shake what you got in them jeans, let's have sex, you are not a woman you're an object. It's sad because a lot of people complain about what Hip Hop consists of, but no one has yet stood up to change it. Back in the day if you called a woman out of her name you got slapped, now it's like women accept what you label them as and take pride in it. That's not how our music should portray women. Women deserve respect like everyone else and Hip Hop don't give them the respect they deserve. Now I'm not saying don't have fun and don't experience things in life, I'm saying don't down the gender that you're experiencing and having fun with because without them, we as men are limited.

You went to school for music? Where did you go?

No sir I did not go to school for music and I don't think I will. Music is a gift and a talent. A talent can not be learned because it's given to you.

Do you recommend that potential artists go to school for that?

No, I recommend artist to have a plan B and go to school for that. The music industry can die tomorrow but a four-year degree will never die. It will only birth more opportunities.

What do you like to do when you're not recording?

When I'm not recording, I'm either writing to prepare for recording or I'm establishing new ways for promotions. The clock never stops so the more time I waste the longer it will take me to reach success. Hip Hop recording artist Wale said it best, "No Days Off". I have no time for breaks; I have to continue to feed my fans with food for thought.

If you had one wish, for anything at all in the world, what would you ask for?

If I had one wish in the world, it would be to change millions of people lives through music and bring real Hip Hop back. Of course I want the fortune and fame that comes with it, who wouldn't but the most significant thing is impacting another human showing them they can make it regardless of society views.

Will you be touring in the future?

Yes I will be. I'm working on shows right now in different cities. I can't release the cities at this moment because nothing has really been finalized but everything is in the works.

Any shout outs to anyone?

Yes I have to give a tremendous thanks to GOD. Without him this interview is pointless because he has given me the experiences to answer all these questions. Also I want to really thank my uncle Scott for being there when I needed coaching and advice. I want to give a big thanks to my other uncle/Personal Representative Deron Salmon for coaching me to all the right directions and taking parts in all of my business affairs. Donovan Walters deserves a shout out also! He's been there as a friend and as a great business partner. Last but not least I want to thank my mom. I guess they say save the best for last but if I go in depth with how much my mom did for me; I might tear up a little. Yea men cry too! In conclusion, I really want to thank these people. They have really impacted me and I'm blessed to have them in my life.

Any links, media players any song we can highlight right now for you?

Yes you all can check out "Kill Em With Silence" on YouTube by searching: Dre Williams Kill Em With Silence. This track goes in depth on the challenges our youth face in society today and how we are affected by the negativity. Check it out, I guaranteed you will love it.

members online