Dr Dre about new generation rappers

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
LOL this is ridiculous. Of course Hip Hop is evolving but it's evolving/evolved into a giant pile of shit.

Yes, there's some good stuff out there. Yes, you have to really look for it. But the majority of stuff (a.k.a mainstream) is garbage. Just because someone complains about it doesn't make them someone's grandfather. Dre just said in this video that he doesn't like most of the shit out there. So he himself is probably keeping his circle of artists close. But to say "I don't listen to most of it but I'm not hating on it" - c'mon man. Well then why doesn't he like it?

Music started to change in the late 90's because of technology. Once computer-based recording became so normal around that time it really changed everything. The sound changed and that's when everything went into a new direction. If you listen to guys today that still make beats with old school gear like an MPC60 or SP1200, you'll hear something completely different than today's beats. DAW-based beats are great if you know what you're doing but too many people are just doing dragging and dropping, point-and-click type of beats.

Then the rappers can't rap for shit. Just people mumbling a bunch of nonsense while they throw their elbows up and there's weed everywhere. C'mon. Dre is right but at the same time he's also keeping his circle very tight because he'd never work with these bullshit artists that are out today.

Kane the MOD

Grey haired Boom Bap Rap Dad
Battle Points: 5
LOL this is ridiculous. Of course Hip Hop is evolving but it's evolving/evolved into a giant pile of shit.

Yes, there's some good stuff out there. Yes, you have to really look for it. But the majority of stuff (a.k.a mainstream) is garbage. Just because someone complains about it doesn't make them someone's grandfather. Dre just said in this video that he doesn't like most of the shit out there. So he himself is probably keeping his circle of artists close. But to say "I don't listen to most of it but I'm not hating on it" - c'mon man. Well then why doesn't he like it?

Music started to change in the late 90's because of technology. Once computer-based recording became so normal around that time it really changed everything. The sound changed and that's when everything went into a new direction. If you listen to guys today that still make beats with old school gear like an MPC60 or SP1200, you'll hear something completely different than today's beats. DAW-based beats are great if you know what you're doing but too many people are just doing dragging and dropping, point-and-click type of beats.

Then the rappers can't rap for shit. Just people mumbling a bunch of nonsense while they throw their elbows up and there's weed everywhere. C'mon. Dre is right but at the same time he's also keeping his circle very tight because he'd never work with these bullshit artists that are out today.
Dre just does what we should do as well: Ignore the whack artists.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 544
Evolved is definitely not the best word of choice here.

Evolved is usually used in a positive sense.

At best you could say it's changed.

It's degraded. And has stagnated. Stagnated in a state of degradation.

An important thing to note with Dre's comment is that he still stated "if you don't like it don't listen to it" "I dont listen to most of it." It's very clear his stance.

The lack of musical quality aside, let's take a look at the character...

Hip-Hop / Rap, it used to be;
- tough
- intelligent
- Big
- drug sellers
- witty
- class
- individuals

Now, Hip-Hop / Rap is about;
- unintelligent
- drug users (as in 'druggy' type shit, not weed)
- little. Baby. Yung
- skinny / sissy attire and stature
- gossip
- acting like 15 Yr olds is the aspiration
- clones / copycats

Image conveyed by the old;
Rough life/background, tough from the streets, educated and built themselves up, not to be messed with, found a way to make money and reach success. Intelligence. Respect. Grown men/women.

Image conveyed by the new;
Spoilt children with attention disorders who get sent out of class at school. No class or respect, snitching rats. Medicated and uneducated, nitty substance users, whingey dribbly attention seeking entitled child divas.

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
You @Iron Keys forgot that a huge part of the image(s) conveyed by the old was that many artists had industry mentors (hopefully the kind that didn’t try to make “advances” of a sexual nature towards them, especially the women artists) and had artist development and equally important: media training. Google “Angelo Ellerbee.” He was instrumental in DMX, Mary J, etc. having media skills.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
@Iron Keys very well said. It's like the NBA - I used to be a huge bball fan but I rarely watch it anymore, but I follow it somewhat. Music has changed drastically and also a big part of it is how society is compared to the 90s when that era of rappers were doing music.

That's so ridiculous and sad at the same time about that Onlyfans article lol. Imagine some of these old school rappers having an Onlyfans!

NonxG

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 248
Nowadays to read stereotypical stuff from the 90s have to be the rolemodel for modern artists ... Why this way? Maybe today some "sissy" middle class modern rapper connect better with a broader audience, because they think the same? But I might be an Island Boy. :p

Mustang King GIF by TeamLethal

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
@Iron Keys very well said. It's like the NBA - I used to be a huge bball fan but I rarely watch it anymore, but I follow it somewhat. Music has changed drastically and also a big part of it is how society is compared to the 90s when that era of rappers were doing music.

That's so ridiculous and sad at the same time about that Onlyfans article lol. Imagine some of these old school rappers having an Onlyfans!
I was actually going to say in my original post it's the same in the nba (kinda)!!! Very diva-like cringey kids.

Notice most people in the league now are skinny and fragile. All mopey n emotional LeBron. Harden. All these posers and tiktoking etc

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
I was actually going to say in my original post it's the same in the nba (kinda)!!! Very diva-like cringey kids.

Notice most people in the league now are skinny and fragile. All mopey n emotional LeBron. Harden. All these posers and tiktoking etc
I was actually watching a clip the other day, it was the Knicks against whoever in the 90s and I started laughing because there was Ewing, Oakley and Xavier and I just thought of them in the paint today lol. 12 technicals just for being in the game probably.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
I was actually watching a clip the other day, it was the Knicks against whoever in the 90s and I started laughing because there was Ewing, Oakley and Xavier and I just thought of them in the paint today lol. 12 technicals just for being in the game probably.
Technical for looking too tough

Technical for looking menacing

Technical because the refs are scares

Technical because the wimpballers are nervous

Flagrant 2 because your presence made the whole opposition clear the paint.