double tracked vocals ..thoughts!!

50 cal

King of the West
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
How many here double the lazy way and just copy and paste the first track?
I think that REALLY sounds like garbage because it doesnt even have the dynamics of a second voice over.

i dont really have problems with doubles at all.....i think they sound ill in alot of instances

but i agree on that copy and paste shit....that shit sounds fuckin retarded

5th Sequence

Hip Hop Head, Certified
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 198
copy and pasting introduces phase problems... if im remembering correctly.

I think you can get a better take of a vocal if you lay one down and then have them do the verse again wih the previous verse playing through the headphones. worked for the guys i recorded at least.

wrightboy

Formally Finnigan
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 7
i recorded this groups album over the past 5 months and we did double takes plus ad libs on eeeeevery rhyme on every song. double takes and voice overs helped their sound greatly. without it, their vocals had no presence, soul or "life" it seemed like, so i had them do the double takes for their own sake. this wasn't a project i was personally behind, i was gettin paid like Ash in his situation. my job was basically to get the best possible sound, and in their case (not to shit on their talents) they needed the double takes.

my technique was pretty simple though.. i had one main take that had good processing on it and the doubled take would be mixed very low. it wasn't a full spectrum 2pac stack at all, one would just be mixed low and it'd fill it out nicely. Gave it an "artificial naturalness" to it..

aha.. yeah i had to make up a term to describe it, but the technique has its place like you guys already said.

i've used this technique before. works real nice. and if you do it right, you can't even tell that it's double takes.

Symphonic

Custom User Title
ill o.g.
I actually do like a second voice in verses, it can outline some punchlines you know. And also rhymwords doubled. I like clean tracks, I prefer that rather then someone struggles with some letters.

cnotedatruth

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
doubling vocal

me personal i dont see what wrong all it doing is fatten up the vocal and some of those rappers ya'll think dont double actually do double it the engineers jobs to mask the the double. maybe im wrong but if it done propertly and mixed propertly can even tell it there. maybe that just me. i dont know im still learning myself,