Double (?) Kicks

Hi-Lo

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
hey guys, looking for some help on what i think is a pretty common drum technique used in hip hop but one i havent been able to figure out on my own

for anyone whos got the new snoop album, the kick on that song "round here" is what im trying to understand, i hear this done a lot but this is the only song that comes to mind off the top of my head. it almost sounds like a double kick, even though its really only one beat...its like he leads into the kick with something else or he delayed it or something, i really dont know...im wondering if anyone could give me some pointers on doing this cause it would help the swing of my drums a lot.

mikemat

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I have no idea how you can't understand how they did that? Just tap the kick on your keys like that in the song, if you quantize you will have to either do that part unquantized or something like 1/32 or 1/64. I guess maybe you program your drums instead of playing them which is pretty lame imo, if you truly want to have some good swing the best and fastest method is learning your way around the keys a little bit. Then you can play whats in your head instead of clicking and trial and error to try and make something sound good.

Also note that the velocity on the first of every 2 kicks is lower than the second.

Hi-Lo

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I have no idea how you can't understand how they did that? Just tap the kick on your keys like that in the song, if you quantize you will have to either do that part unquantized or something like 1/32 or 1/64. I guess maybe you program your drums instead of playing them which is pretty lame imo, if you truly want to have some good swing the best and fastest method is learning your way around the keys a little bit. Then you can play whats in your head instead of clicking and trial and error to try and make something sound good.

Also note that the velocity on the first of every 2 kicks is lower than the second.

thanks for that lead in comment man. i asked for two reasons; number one, as much as it sounded like two kicks put very close together, part of me was also just wondering if maybe it was a single kick with some kind of delay, heavy compression, or whatever. i'm new at this, so i ask questions when i dont know something. and second, i do program my drums because i am still having latency issues with Fl to the point where i cant tap out my drums, and im waiting til i have some money up to get a drumpad and a new soundcard. be easy man...all im here for is to try to learn so there's no need for making other people feel stupid.

Wizdom

Soul Collector
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
Hey Man, sounds like whoever produced that just did a double kick depending on the program that was used. I hear three techniques being used. The first is that there seems to be a lower velocity on the lead kick, which allows for a greater emphasis on the second kick on the 'one' count. The second is that the beat sounds to be shuffled or to be a swing beat (depending on what your program/hardware calls it). And the third - and probably most important - is a a cutoff of itself. The lead kick probably get's cut off by the second kick so that there isn't too much sound distortion, but that's just my guess as I'm not sound engineer. Hope this helps ... peace

Hi-Lo

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Hey Man, sounds like whoever produced that just did a double kick depending on the program that was used. I hear three techniques being used. The first is that there seems to be a lower velocity on the lead kick, which allows for a greater emphasis on the second kick on the 'one' count. The second is that the beat sounds to be shuffled or to be a swing beat (depending on what your program/hardware calls it). And the third - and probably most important - is a a cutoff of itself. The lead kick probably get's cut off by the second kick so that there isn't too much sound distortion, but that's just my guess as I'm not sound engineer. Hope this helps ... peace

that helps a lot man, thanks.

Kontents

I like Gearslutz
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
Most drums usually have what is called a ghost drum beat, this is where you hear the main drum rythm but also hear a faint but still present bass kick that either leads into or tails the main rythm of the drums. very common and can really spice up dull drums. just play around with it youll find you nitch.

Kontents