Does location matter nowadays

maxamil

Battle Points: 1
I currently live in Atlanta right now and I produce music and trying to get my music to the industry. I have been here for a couple of years and it is good for networking and meeting people. But, I'm at a crossroad because Atlanta's job economy is not that good and my job isn't the best and my quality of life has been decreasing tremendously. I have been thinking about moving to Dallas where some family live and continue to do music and have a better chance at getting a better job and increasing my quality of life with the help from my people but I know Atlanta has a bigger music market so I'm feeling like I should stay and risk it to make connections. My question is, Is Atlanta necessary to be in order to make it as a producer in the industry or can you pretty much do it from anywhere and still make connections with people? I feel like this is a music mecca right now but can I still be a successful producer from out there while trying to increase the quality of life with getting a better job and maintaining. So, Is Atlanta necessary to stay to make it or does it matter because of technology we have on the internet today?

www.maxamillionbeats.com

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
Dont sleep on Dallas Im pretty sure there is a rap scene out there as well. ATL is a cool spot but its over saturated IMO.Anyway go where you need to in order to survive, you can always come back to the ATL.Keep the connections you have and be willing to travel really.
What with the internet and all as far as production I dont think it matters where you are.

God

Creator of the Universe
ill o.g.
If you're trying to sell beats for $10 a pop -- you really don't have to worry, unless your beats are supplementing your income in a massive way and you're dependent on the ATL music market.

If you're serious about production and want to "make it" in the industry. You have to move to a music power center like NYC, LA, etc. and hustling like a madman to land the right beat placements.

Sure you have competition, but you have to be where the action is. Otherwise, you're just one of the million other dudes on the internet making beats and hoping to "make it."

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 44
Dont overestimate the internet, the real world is def still your biggest asset. But I agree wit G^, LA is better, they have their own music industry out there, def more opportunity. Dallas does have a scene but its not as prevelant as it was the same as atlanta, but Dallas might be best for you to continue to grow. I assume you'd be able to (in your situation) connect some dots between the two places as well and hustle yourself into a position of linking players and being that go to guy (Music collabs, events, etc), thats what I'd do atleast.

As far as the internet thing, its just a connector. Face to face networking and building will trump an avatar every time.

maxamil

Thanks guys, I know the internet is cool and I'll try to still work the few connects I have but I just can't believe that I'm in a huge market and leaving from it. But a steady paycheck comes first but the grind will always continue. LA is where I probably should be but getting out there is easier said than done. Has anyone got any placements from the internet?

God

Creator of the Universe
ill o.g.
Thanks guys, I know the internet is cool and I'll try to still work the few connects I have but I just can't believe that I'm in a huge market and leaving from it. But a steady paycheck comes first but the grind will always continue. LA is where I probably should be but getting out there is easier said than done. Has anyone got any placements from the internet?

Max,

Let me break it down really cold for you as someone who's seen this done a couple of times:

1. I'm producing an album for a medium/somewhat major artist
2. My assistant is cruising the web and finds a hot beat that you made on your website.
3. They download the beat, rip it from YouTube, or just give me the link and everyone listens to it.
4. Me -- as the producer of the album -- really likes the beat and wants it on the album/single/whatever.

What do you think the next move is? Now be really honest with yourself, what did your gut say?

Do you really think I'm going to contact you and buy it -- or am I going to put one of my assistants to try and replicate the beat?

5a. The assistant replicates the beat properly, I'm happy and maybe he gets a cut of the royalty.
6a. You're left out in the cold -- now try and sue me, I bet you can't and I'd settle with you anyway (if you even made it that far.) Most of the time, I can prove that I "never heard your beat" and that it was "just a coincidence," and that's good enough for the law. You don't have enough money to fight me... you lose.

OR (and this is where you can be "one-in-a-million" lucky and HAS HAPPENED before -- and it's usually because of a SAMPLE, though because we're trying to replicate a sample, rather than the synth sounds everyone uses):

5b. The assistant tries to replicate the beat, but it doesn't sound right. Workarounds or additions to the beat don't work, it just doesn't sound as hot as the original.
6b. I hand it off to my friends and see if they can replicate the beat. Nope, their versions don't have the right "feeling" as the original.
7. Having no other way to get the beat and because I believe it is a hot song, I pick up the phone or email you and ask to buy the beat.

You finally get paid.

Usually, you never get paid if the beat is replicated, though.

That's the way the internet works...

Now I'm not knocking it, the internet does positive things for artists and it does help promote your music, but there's a ton of stealing going on and if it can be stolen it WILL be stolen, especially if you do not have the resources to file a good lawsuit.

Keep grinding and keep your hopes alive. My friend told me the band Everclear hit it big time when they were 38, so there's hope, but the music industry is cutthroat and fucked up.

maxamil

Max,

Let me break it down really cold for you as someone who's seen this done a couple of times:

1. I'm producing an album for a medium/somewhat major artist
2. My assistant is cruising the web and finds a hot beat that you made on your website.
3. They download the beat, rip it from YouTube, or just give me the link and everyone listens to it.
4. Me -- as the producer of the album -- really likes the beat and wants it on the album/single/whatever.

What do you think the next move is? Now be really honest with yourself, what did your gut say?

Do you really think I'm going to contact you and buy it -- or am I going to put one of my assistants to try and replicate the beat?

5a. The assistant replicates the beat properly, I'm happy and maybe he gets a cut of the royalty.
6a. You're left out in the cold -- now try and sue me, I bet you can't and I'd settle with you anyway (if you even made it that far.) Most of the time, I can prove that I "never heard your beat" and that it was "just a coincidence," and that's good enough for the law. You don't have enough money to fight me... you lose.

OR (and this is where you can be "one-in-a-million" lucky and HAS HAPPENED before -- and it's usually because of a SAMPLE, though because we're trying to replicate a sample, rather than the synth sounds everyone uses):

5b. The assistant tries to replicate the beat, but it doesn't sound right. Workarounds or additions to the beat don't work, it just doesn't sound as hot as the original.
6b. I hand it off to my friends and see if they can replicate the beat. Nope, their versions don't have the right "feeling" as the original.
7. Having no other way to get the beat and because I believe it is a hot song, I pick up the phone or email you and ask to buy the beat.

You finally get paid.

Usually, you never get paid if the beat is replicated, though.

That's the way the internet works...

Now I'm not knocking it, the internet does positive things for artists and it does help promote your music, but there's a ton of stealing going on and if it can be stolen it WILL be stolen, especially if you do not have the resources to file a good lawsuit.

Keep grinding and keep your hopes alive. My friend told me the band Everclear hit it big time when they were 38, so there's hope, but the music industry is cutthroat and fucked up.

Thanks man, that was some real shit! I can appreciate that. So face to face is always the best thing. Like some people said Dallas does has a music scene but do you think it can be used as a gateway into the industry without living in ATL?

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
^^THIS is why I am moving to so cal

#2 This is also why I think it is somewhat a dead end to "ONLY" be a beat maker. you need to create the entire package. Write lyrics, create an marketable image. Slick packaging EVERYTHING. If you are doing that, you cant get "beat jacked" as I have been a few times now. I also have all but given up on selling beats online. But I NETWORK, NETWORK, NETWORK! And meet the right people, and it works.

God

Creator of the Universe
ill o.g.
Thanks man, that was some real shit! I can appreciate that. So face to face is always the best thing. Like some people said Dallas does has a music scene but do you think it can be used as a gateway into the industry without living in ATL?

I co-sign Dreampolice. Let me serve it to you cold about this Dallas business.

If I'm in LA or NYC and I have a ton of hot beatmakers throwing great beats left and right to me, or people who don't live in the music centers but are somehow in my network that throw me hot beats -- why the hell do I need to go out of my way and seek you out in Dallas?

Let's be honest, who the hell are you to think you're so special that you're going to grab my attention all the way from Dallas? If you are so "gifted" you should have the entire Dallas rap scene talking about you and maybe then maybe someone will listen. In fact, if you get the whole Dallas scene talking about you, you probably will be able to carve out a niche.

Remember, you need the connection more than anything. Build the connection to that major label or to that producer. Then you can live anywhere and feed beats to people.

Dallas is a regional market, too many small fish in a small pond. You have to make major waves to get noticed. It's like saying you're the hottest producer in Portland, Oregon. A lot of people I know would straight spit up their food and laugh if they ever heard the words: "hottest producer in Portland, Oregon," -- Dallas is similar, it's regional.

Houston is a hotter scene and it's a major city. But if you're real about getting something done, you always need to be where the real power is. In music that's LA or NYC. Even Southern labels get their money from one of the two music centers.

Just be real with yourself. Are you really that good?

You're fighting against millions of other people who think they produce because they own Fruity Loops or a sequencer. Remember that -- build connections.

As far as you moving to Dallas, I don't know your personal or financial situation and I will never make a suggestion to a person that I don't know. It's your life, so you make your own decisions.

^^THIS is why I am moving to so cal

#2 This is also why I think it is somewhat a dead end to "ONLY" be a beat maker. you need to create the entire package. Write lyrics, create an marketable image. Slick packaging EVERYTHING. If you are doing that, you cant get "beat jacked" as I have been a few times now. I also have all but given up on selling beats online. But I NETWORK, NETWORK, NETWORK! And meet the right people, and it works.

I cosign this ^^^

This is exactly why location is important, only a part of the work is making the beats or music. You could have the best talent, but without the right connections or some really good luck, then you are not going to connect with the people that can work with you to push you forwards into a proper career, and not just a hobby.
Networking, preferably face to face, is so fucking important. Its the only real way to make those lasting connections that can allow you to mould a career, arrange tours, introduce you to other people that can help.

And yeah DP, I think you should. Nebraska is a bit out there.