Does anyone here use an imac or ibook for music production?

N.U.G.

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I'm interested to know if anyone uses an imac or ibook for music production

My girl has both an imac and an ibook and I'm wondering how suitable it will be for Reason adn Pro Tools and such...

holla!

MaximeRobin

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
It's all depend what she got really, is an old imac G3 or is it the new imac G5? Saying you got an imac is like saying you got a compaq... What is the processor and how much ram? If you don't have a clue, check "about this mac" in the finder menu.

2 years ago, I tried an ibook and a powerbook when it was time to change my G4 tower for something more portable. The ibook wasn't even able to load my not so power hungry tracks. At that time ibooks were G3 tho. I bought the smallest powerbook at the time, a G4 667mhz. The ibook is always the slowest mac available...

N.U.G.

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
oh ok, thanks for the info. I'm not really too knoweldgable about macs. I'm pretty sure she has a imac G3 and an ibook G4. I'm check teh other specs when I'm over their next.

thanks guys. I'll get back with more info soon - I appreciate your help.

peace

MaximeRobin

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Of course...
In fact for the price of any mac you can have a FASTER pc, but that's besides the point really.

Are you trying to make this a pc vs mac thread? ;)
The guy ask because he add access to a mac not because he wanted to buy one...

x-squizet

Roll Tide Roll
ill o.g.
before i leave to college i plan on buying an powerbook and run logic, that means i have a whole year to save up, or if i don't i would build a powerful computer, but i think macs are good because they don't use third party parts, and have good quality equipment just my opinion tho

N.U.G.

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
thanks for the info so far guys.

I'm gonna give my girl's imac G3 a try. I plan on partitioning the hard drive so I can run both Os 9 and OS X as Os 9 allows mr to run Pro Tools Free which I will use as my editor and then also install Reasin to use as the main production software on then mac. Then all I need to do is try and work out a way to best incorporate my girl's MPC into the mix.

confusing aye :s

members online