does anyone ever feel like giving up?

Teknology

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
i guess i need some support right now and was wondering how many of you ever feel like giving up,sometimes i just feel like my beats will never be any good and im trying to make decision about if i want music as a career anymore or just a hobby,does anyone else ever feel like that?

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
Never feel like its a hobby but there are times when the devil try's to whisper that crap in my ear.
Thing is I couldnt if I tried. Its in me and I could no more get it out than I could rip out my own heart and keep breathing.
I am hiphop. Not the best not the worst and occasionally I curse,
I LOVE hiphop!!
i feel you tho. Shit gets real hard. Keep ya head up!!
Its not the end if its a hobby for you though dawg

afriquedeluxe

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 221
hmm for some reason even when i made beats way way back when i got started, i used to love them. only when i look back now do i hear the technical inadequencies. i dont know if i was deluded or whatever, i mean i could hear the difference with radio stuff, but even when i heard the radio stuff, i thought "yeah i can make that".

you just gota believe in yourself first of all. also if you really want music as a career, ask yourself this, would you want to do it for free all day? is the passion strong enough to allow for that? would you work longer hours than 9-5 and not feel like its work? i mean when asking yourself that, assume money and ur well being is not an issue. if the answer is yes, then just keep working on ur art. if you put enough time into anything and you believe you will get good at it, you will.

some people believe in talent, but i see it in a different way. i mean yeah you can have a genetic predisposition of whatever, but most of it comes down to passion+hardwork which isnt really work cuz u doing something u enjoy. look at all the greats at any field, they start off just like anyone else, wack!, but puttin more time into their fields than anyone else is what makes them the greats.

so to sum it up, first find out whether this is what u really want, forget the level of skill you are at, first ask yourself sincerely if this is your calling. if it this, then you have to be ready to put in the hours.

BluPHI!!!

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I UNDERSTAND PERFECTLY WHAT YOU MEAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But when I feel like that, the thing that keeps me hungry is that:

Some of the greatest Hip Hop classics were nearly trashed because the producer thought it was weak!!!!!!!!!!

For instance, I read in an interview that Havoc from Mobb Deep was 30 seconds from erasing the classic "Shook Ones pt1" beat !!! He thought it was corny up unitl he let some of His QB fam listen to the beat and they screaamed on him to keep it. Ands the rest is history.

And thats the 1st lesson: Dont let your judgment be the final say so!!! Let many people hear your beats and ask them what do they think of it. DONT LET JUST LET ANY JOE SCHMO LISTEN TO IT, ONLY FAMILY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! --THERE ARE SO MANY BEAT THIEVES YOU DONT WANNA RISK IT.I just ask my girl and all of her sister what they think of it. (females buy most of the hip hop anyway)--lol

KEEP GRINDIN, BECAUSE YOUR GOING THROUGH WHAT EVERY GREAT PRODUCER GOES THROUGH

WHAT WE ALL GO THROUGH!! BUT JUST REMEBER THAT YOU ALSO HAVE TO DIG DEEP AND ALWAYS ASK YOURSELF WHY DO YOU LOVE MAKING MUSIC----FIND THAT ORIGINAL REASON AND PASSION AND WATCH WHAT HAPPENS!!!!!!!!!!!

I CANT WAIT TO HEAR YOUR BEATS WHEN YOU FIND THAT PASSION!!!

I hoped this helped.................

Peace

Teknology

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
yea your alls words help alot i appreciate the support, ig uess one thing that is really getting me down right now is for the past 2 weeks i been learning to use reason and i get so damn frustrated with it i just wanna be like fuck it

nonie

Kohie
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 4
Yeah I was feelin that just recently too. Cuz IMO it seemed like my beats weren't getting better. But then I looked back at where I started and ask myself, all this money, hardwork, dedication, passion, and learning for nothing? And moved on from there. If you love it, then do it. Love is the strongest thing that can hold two together.

slik da relic

RS Jedi
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
this is from my myspace site... pls read:

About slikdarelic
Born in Brownsville, Brooklyn, Sliks family moved to East New York's Linden Houses 5 yrs later, when his brother was born. "Once we moved there and I got a little older, it was like fights everyday for me. Packing bags at the local supermarket for some extra dollars was my thing, and I remember leaving the store with around 20 dollars worth of change after bein there the whole day. Heads would try and get you. I wore glasses and had braces back then, so it wasnt hard to get looked at as the nerd on the block, nah mean. But all that changes with a few victories under your belt Slik laughs." Born in a family that listened to 60s and 70s music as well as records that ran at 78rpm, it was inevitable that he would soon be trying to play these tunes in school. "When I was in music class, thats one of the 1st things I did once I understood music and the melodies."

During the time that disco was so huge, a new type of music was beginning to surface. It was called Hip Hop, and it included a lot of aspects from the streets. Graffiti, breakdancing, beatboxing, and rapping. "Rhymin over beats was my thing because I couldnt sing a lick," Slik chuckles. "I remember buyin my 1st rap record. A Spoony Gee joint. I would play it on a Fisher Price record player all day, it was all I had. He, as well as Jimmy Spicer was definitely my early influences in the game." Slik had a few friends that was rapping as well and thats when things changed. "A few of my friends that I knew had started a group called the Devastation Crew, and I wanted desperately to be down. They put me in as the graf artist of the group. I was supposed to draw logos and stuff. But every summer one member always went to see his relatives, so they asked me to write a rhyme to fill in his spots on songs. Ultimately, they liked what I had written and put me in the group. That changed everything!" "Once in the group, our DJ would have all these records that I loved to listen to, but he would spin just the breaks and thats what was blowin my mind! I never listened to just that part of a record over and over. It definitely helped me in writing longer and better rhymes."

In 1981, after 2 yrs of practicing and rhyming on the streets, the group entered a local talent contest being held at Thomas Jefferson High School and won 1st place, but nothing came out of it. "We were supposed to win $500. They had the whole show on film too. We got nothing. I was 15 at the time, so I was just happy to be known in the neighborhood, but that was like our welcoming to the sleaziness of the industry." After a few years with the Devastation Crew, Slik was approached by another local rapper named Shadin. "He had heard about my skills on the keyboard and wanted me to be part of his group for a Mr. Magic contest where he was in the finals." Slik recalls. "Thats my man, and he was NICE! I still got love for him." The finals were held in Queens, and LL Cool J was one of the judges. "I still remember getting the crowd open after playin Rakims My Melody on my Casio CZ 101. I really felt we was gonna win. But midway through our set the sound was shut off and we was told that we were gonna get a chance to do it over. Never happened. A local queens rapper won, soundin like Slick Rick. More sleaziness."

Not to be discouraged, Slik was still doing his thing with the Devastation crew, but Hip Hop was changing. "When Melle Mel came out with The Message, it changed EVERYTHING for me. No more party raps all the time. I was on some conscious shit. That songs influence is heard everyday." As the Devastation crew got smaller (bein shunned by Def Jam, Next Plateau, B Fats, Red Alert etc. make brothas give up and/or move on), the remaining 3 members formed the Joint Chiefs of Staff (JCS). "We were definitely in the mix then. We had samplers, drum machines, and keyboards. We would save up and buy our favorite pieces and hook it up at one guys crib. Much different than today, where you have a computer, and 2-3 pieces can get the job done." JCS lasted for about 10 yrs. They appeared in a rap video made by their friend Les Baby Love (aka Lethal Beats n Lyrics) on Video Music Box, but the conflict of interest was growing. "We all took some time off from music because of work, family, etc., but I never stopped writing and creating music." After a few years passed, Slik ran into a friend of his and he told him about an open mic spot called End Of the Weak (EOW). "I checked it out and realized I can still do this. And I got thousands of dollars of music equipment at home goin to waste! That made me realize that it doesnt matter your age in the game. Music doesnt discriminate. If its good, people will listen and enjoy it."

da relic

Teknology

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
dayum you was doin hip-hop before i was even born,good shit tho i wish i could remember the early days of hip hop, bout the earliest memory i have of loving hip hop was lip syncing to ton loc wild thing in front of the whole school when i was like 8 lol omg i cant belive i did that shit when i look back now

Producer_GyaL

IllMuzik First Lady
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 182
lot of peeps are going through this phase for so many reasons like...getting frustrated cuz your mind dont coordinate with what your doing, you compare yourself too much, you think theres too many beatmaker out there to bother..., the program that you use is hard to be confortable around it... etc... theres plenty good reasons to think about giving up. Whatever is your reason, get up and get amped. Learn step by step, one thing at a time. If you are really mad at yourself, just leave it for a few months, and go back to it when you'll feel ready to compete. Nothing is easy..... good luck.

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
In dont know any better, been at it since 12, dj and producing, stopped producing for a while and did more gigs and spinning, then I picked it up again as if I never left. Perhaps in the future I'll stop producing again and focus some more on spinning again, so basicaly do what I feel like and grasp any occasion I believe is appealing, whether that big or small. So basicaly its a hobby with the potential of making it a real job if I put effort on it, but im more occupied helping cats out I feel have talent, oddly money isnt the first thing that comes to mind when I drop a dope beat, im just thinking about the result when the vocals are being dropped n mixed. Thusfar I havent ever really asked money for beatz, basicaly because I have other skills that form a profession, something besides the " i dunnobetta " factor / for the love of it. I kinda like it, there's no pressure to make anything, I dont need to move units by making music so can take the time to set up projects, to be selective instead of being productive cuz at a point its no problem to drop a mean beat in 10 minutes mixed n well damn nearly mastered, you'd bore yourself to death in the end. The best period ever is when you know nothing and learn to understand the musical side of the story, probably the most creative time in your experiences thusfar.

slik da relic

RS Jedi
ill o.g.
i posted this, but now i realize ur issue is with how ur music is sounding... i think u should find new tekniques(lol) in ur creative process. also, if ur into sampling, go to the sample flippage thread and start grindin on some beats there. it mite also be the equipment ur using. sometimes, u gotta research how u like to make music, and search for the pieces u think are best for u. me? i hate menus, so i bought pieces that have knobs to turn to get quik results. if i had to use menus and scrub wheel all the time, or a mouse, i'd go crazy! ultimately, never give up on this, its not gonna always happen 2morrow... its gonna take awhile to get ur skills up to where u like them. everyone has been thru this one time or another.

da relic

O

open mind

dont force yourself if u feel unhappy with what u do then FUKK IT!!! YES FUKK IT! dont wast time OPEN YOUR MIND and find things that u like and dont makes you feel bad.

ill o.g.
Yeh, I feel this way sometimes but it's generally fleeting...although as of late I've felt too uninspired and apathetic to really care about actually making anything 'cause of my current home/family situation. But once I'm out of the house I'll probably feel a lot better about it again.

Aside from stuff like that, for the most part I've never felt stagnant or like I've hit a wall. Reflecting on my earlier work usually makes me cringe, but I do it frequently, and almost every time I make a new beat I learn about a new technique or principle I could be incorporating into my work...and on my next track, I try to do it. I kind of think of it as a mystery staircase; it's fun to find out what steps I'll be taking next.

On the real though I just focus on the music. It doesn't matter whether you can get into the industry or not at the end of the day if you make stuff that makes YOUR head nod and makes YOU happy.

Beatz 101

itsOneO.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 179
Yeah, i always have my days...sometimes my weeks. I just be like "Damn, somethin' gotta give...SOMEWHERE"

But ya gotta keep ya head up. Take a break. Get ya mind off da bullshit. And then get back on the boards n' put all ya pain on the beats.

thats my method. On the real, i make my hottest material when im goin' thru shit.:dj:

trez260

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
everyone has their moments when nothing seems to come together or just flat out sounds right. like big rob said, don't force it. sometimes it's good for you to walk away from it (temporary, i dont mean give up and quit) do your normal day to day routine for a while, then come back to it. nonetheless, if you have an undying passion for making beats, regardless how long you stay away it will always call you back, and you will answer. don't sweat it, it'll come to you. peace.

AMG

God:Mind~Asiatic
ill o.g.
...its been so many days I tried/its been so many nights I cried/I can't let her...Go, I cant let her...
-Little Brother "Cant Let Her Go"

p.s. never forget your inspiration, whatever that may be!

LEJENDERY

Da Beast on da Beatz
ill o.g.
Born in Brownsville said:
damn dog, I was born in East New York (Boulevard Houses, one block from Linden) your a bit older than me, but my older sister when to "Jeff" high school... Anyway, back to the subject at hand, man I feel U 100%.. but I gaurantee U every beatmaker in this forum has felt the same one way or the other --it's all about how U keep yaself hungry... I don't know if this will work for you, but just turn on the radio & listen to all the garbage that U hear, & that should be enough motivation for U to get in your lab & change the game...holla

slik da relic

RS Jedi
ill o.g.
Relic said:
Gosh other Relic... thats alot of shit to read with no paragraphs, Ima have to check that out later dog, :smokin:

u know what, ur right... the actual article has paragraphs, but the myspace doesnt let u set up paragraphs. it takes it as one run-on sentence..lol... i'll try and fix it.

da relic