Do you think Jay-Z shouldve retired?

ill o.g.
Me personally, i think its his choice. He wants to get privacy and start a family.
thats cool.
But i think he couldve waited til he did something REAL big so that people would give him more respect or miss him more when he leaves.

but also. By the time he decided to retire, he didnt care wut nobody thought of him, and he also had enough money to be cool if he never made another dollar.

Attachments

• jay-z_bigmouth.jpg
    jay-z_bigmouth.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 181
E

Equality 7-2521

yeah he is a bit of a sellout. he even admitted it. he said he always aspired to be a conscious rapper but realised he couldnt make much money that way.........what a wack cunt

jay z retiring has no effect on me at all. it wouldnt even make me blink.

nasir jones

The Perfectionist!!
ill o.g.
Who's Jay-Z??

ill o.g.
i never said his shit was hot, i was just askin. But one of the only things that some of his albums even bearable were the beats.

I think he's had some of the hottest beats and he'd spit 3 okay vers over that shit. I think its a waste, but im still gonna miss the beats that everybody was gettin him.

-u dont know (remix) ft. M.O.P. (prod: Just Blaze)
-the bounce (prod: Timbaland)
-some like it hot (prod: Timbaland)
-meet the parents (prod: Just Blaze)

just a couple.

He aint a lyricist. He's only here tryin to make money.

Guevara

BETTER THAN YESTERDAY
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 34
HE SHoULDVE RETiRED WHEN HE oRiGiNALLY SAiD HE WAS, AFTER HiS FiRST ALBUM.CiTY
FUCK HiM!!!

o-a-ksavage

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Jay is a lyricist. He's a great lyricist. Yeah though he is hella stupid for saying he wanted to be a conscious rapper but wanted money. At least if you're gonna sell out, don't admit it to everybody. I also think he might have just said that as an excuse why he isn't a socially conscious rapper which i think is even more gay. Not every rapper has to be a fuckin activist. That's not all rap is about. It's cool when some people do that, but that isn't what rap is (nor is it not what rap is). Just fuckin be yourself and rap about whatever you want to.

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 25
i think you are all missing the point on the whole "concious" rapper thing. he said that this was a win-win situation- because it enabled him to do things he wouldnt otherwise be able to. i think that was an admirable line....... it had nothing to do with "socially concious" it was about pure skills. he never said a word about being an activist- actually he spoke about BEING ACTIVE ("i cant help the poor if i'm one of them...") as opposed to rhyming "conciously". every verse from common or kweli isnt "socially concious"- they got countless quoteables that are just dope and not about anything that heals the friggin world. thats all dude was saying....

i dont personally like a lot of his music- but i also think some of it was incredible.... truthfully i cant understand the anymosity here.........

as far as the topic, uh, dude did what he wanted. i am glad he didnt retire after the first- i wouldnt have got to hear gems like "lucky me' or "song cry" or "hard knock life"...........

S

Svenghali

Jay-Z should have retired to make way for S. Carter. After Reasonable Doubt initially failed to move major units, Jay (Dame and Kareem) understood where the game was headed (thanks to Puff Daddy) and also realized that Def Jam was only gonna support him and the Roc if he sold records. Trust me I been there. Back in the mid 90's, I along with two of my homeys were signed to Sony 550/Columbia as the Infidels. This was right around the time Pac was killed. We wanted to keep it "real" and make that real Hip Hop son, but Sony had other plans. We wasn't tryin' to have none of it, so when we got done recording our album we got shelved. By the time we figured things out it was too late and we became a label "tax write-off."

So you can hate on Jay for doing what he had to do to survive, but recognize, he prospered and opened up doors to a wider community for culture. He's a hustler homey, not a customer. The industry is cold and the people in it are even colder. They can love you today and turn their back on you tomorrow like they never heard of you.

Jay-Z is the truth. Hopefully, we will all (in the near future) bear witness to the birth of a more conscious S. Carter.

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
Jay is not a Sellout.....he been saying where he was going from day one???? how can he be a sellout? he did exactly what he had as a vision..(conscious Rapper LOL...he might have thought about that for like 15minutes...hooking up with BiG and Puff and that whole fam back then...naw I dont buy that at all, they was talking street level themes, can a drug dealer really be a concious rapper in hip hop terms for Jay, Puff and BIG it was about the Benjamins no doubt so he never sold out he just never sold enuff in the beginning....when I think concious I think Common Before he sold out for real LOL)...all those small things you might see as selling out come with the throne, he can't change a lot about that......should he have retired??? hmmm lets see, he probably has the dopest skillz of an MC as far as wordplay, and he brings the old skool ethic, I dunno I think he had a career (There were many who came b4 that wish they could be at the TOP of a Label after putting in the dues, he is the epitome of Corporate work ethic...start as the janitor and then become the CEO LOL) but JAy coming back could never ever look like Jordan or Tyson, he still nice wit it and any song he make can still be a hit, I think he is returning with another ALBUM....for everyone to run out and remix LOL..Trust me

T

The Bastard

retire after doing something big? hes a multimillinaire that came from nothing how much bigger does it get, he put out countless classics that will be remembered in hip hop till the end of time. cmon now. he single handedly took over rap. some people choose to nit pick and complain about him but at the same time their fav mc prolly couldnt hold a light to hova which is prolly why they say shit in the first place. if u ask me dood needs to come back and never retire at all

Anubis-Ra

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Jay gotta do what's best for Jay at the end of the day. The read in XXL magazine was good cause I read Dame's point of view last issue, then Jay's this issue.

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 207
i hope he comes back.... im glad for him though hes onto better things..... for a man to come out of what he came from and reach that type of success is amazing.. its not only the fact that he has crazy dollars.... its the fact that he is so cool with his demeanor.... he stands out in a crowd without tryin to stand out... he is a huge insipration to the young black entrepeneur

Rhythmikal

Beat's Disciple
ill o.g.
i dont thik he should of retired and i even think HE knows it.

thats why he keeps appearin on albums and droppin diss tracks at Game and shit. possible publicity stunt if u ask me.

sAfE.