Do you "see" music?

djloccdown

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Depends how creative I'm feeling on a particular day.
Sometimes I see the colors associated with the instruments, other days I don't.

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 25
and here i thuoght i was the only person who did this. here is how it breaks down to me. i used ash's response as a template and ave me some typing.

first, most sounds have a variety of colors depending on the overall tone and nature of the sound and the context of the music as a whole. the colors take different characteristics and change depending on the sounds and notes they are played with, so they aren't static- they change depending on the situation.

bass - depends on the variation. a fat, round, soul groove is usually jet black, but a funk slap is a deep brown with a hint of orange at the "tip". don't know how to explain the "tip" because i see colors as well as shapes, but this variation has that sound. synth basses, say, a fuzzy saw lead bass, is black with white at the "edges"- again, i can't really explain what the "edge" looks like, but i "see" it.

drums .. snares are white, silver, brown and tints of orange. hats are gold or white.

piano - jazz is always green. almost always, deep, sparkling green. soul is almost always a shade of blue. an intense, angry sound is usually red. it nver deviates from these three colors.

horns - orange and ,gold, no deviations.

guitar - always a shade of orange or gold, but never a bright orange. always a burnt orange. distortion turns it white on the "teeth" again, can't explain the teeth, i just see it.

synths .. changes with every last patch.taht 50/timbo joint is a very, very fiery orange-red color. little john synths are a bright orange. timbos "promiscuous" is a neon, reddish pink sound. pads always have various colors in the spctrum playing out in different directions. these are very layered. a gangsta lead is white. but again synjths vary widely with the patch itself. they always have hints of other colors though, and each patch has a different "shape" and "form", not in the sense of a "saw" "sine" "triangle "square" wave though.

rhodes .. north carolina baby blue, or white. i can't recall a deviation from these.

organ - thedoors? a golden brown color. al green? a fierce, "rolling" brown, sand paper "texture", with hitsof orange mixed in. almost never deviates.

strings are always white, silver, or red. the rare occasion arises and i see a blueish white- whats goin on, for example.

again, these are always within context. they "appear" different in different songs with different moods and

Fury

W.W.F.D
ill o.g.
i def see music

TuTone

ill o.g.
Yeah i definitely see music. the color of each sound really depends on what emotion that sound is invoking in me. I thought that it was me going crazy, i guess not.

afriquedeluxe

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 221
thats sick man! I seen some documentaries of this on tv. People that have it tend to have perfect pitch too, it's a rich way of experiencing music. But i have always wondered, do you guys actually see the colours as you would a green tree? Like you literally see a colour or number in front of you? That's pretty damn cool.

Closest I have to seeing music is seeing shaft when I hear wah guitars lol.

Lazy Eyes

The Beat Konduktah
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 7
I never thought i had this, but now that i think of it.. I always have blue or purple in mind when it comes to my own beats with piano and organ..

I see my strings beats asyellow beats, dunno why but i do Acoustic guitar is also yellow.. .. and my horns are mostly brown and green..

Always thought this was normal.. Anyone knows why it only comes to mind right now.. Now that i think of it.. Really weird. I'm thinking of the colors of my vst's but they don't even look alike, so i don't know where i get the colors from..

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 207
thats sick man! I seen some documentaries of this on tv. People that have it tend to have perfect pitch too, it's a rich way of experiencing music. But i have always wondered, do you guys actually see the colours as you would a green tree? Like you literally see a colour or number in front of you? That's pretty damn cool.

Closest I have to seeing music is seeing shaft when I hear wah guitars lol.

its not like literally there in front of you lol... its not like ur hallicinating and ur physically/actually seeing it there in the same way you would see a real object in front of you... its diffrent .. hard to explain its like a mental image ..... like an internal picture ... similiar to a vivd memory you may have ... its very strong though and difficult to ignore sometimes... i can easily get distracted and "sucked in" to the music when its playing... alot of times when music is playing thats all i can think about or concentrate my thoughts on. I can see colors in non-musical sound too .. like wind blowing, or traffic although those colors are alot dimmer and duller than musical stuff and less prevalent and easier to ignore.

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 25
its not like literally there in front of you lol... its not like ur hallicinating and ur physically/actually seeing it there in the same way you would see a real object in front of you... its diffrent .. hard to explain its like a mental image ..... like an internal picture ... similiar to a vivd memory you may have ... its very strong though and difficult to ignore sometimes... i can easily get distracted and "sucked in" to the music when its playing... alot of times when music is playing thats all i can think about or concentrate my thoughts on. I can see colors in non-musical sound too .. like wind blowing, or traffic although those colors are alot dimmer and duller than musical stuff and less prevalent and easier to ignore.

....what he said

trez260

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
can't say i can "see" music. closet i come to that is actually thinking of different types of scene (movie scenes) that the music would be a dope backdrop for.
for example, i could here a beat and could see the scene in the flick where guys being chased down the alley, throwing trash cans and so on...

those are the kind of visualizations i have when listening to music.

dahkter

Ill Muzikoligist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 4
Interestingly enough, Bruce Swedien (Quincy Jone's engineer) talks about seeing music in colors in his book. I think if you have this condition it's a good thing, unless it distracts you from enjoying the music.

members online