Do you know anyone that had potential (music, education, life...) and pissed it away?

God

Creator of the Universe
ill o.g.
Got a call from a friend of mine about a guy who was the smartest dude in our class in high school. Turned out he went to NYU and started working as a lawyer afterwards.

Heard he fell off. Don't know if it was drugs or the dude had a breakdown or burned out. He was a nice cat and REALLY smart. It's sad to see people's potential get fucked off.

Do you know anyone that fucked up like that?

I had a friend at school, he was really good at football(soccer), he was a one man team, he could take on a whole team and still score. He never pursued it as a career, last I heard he was selling coke.
A lot of my friends ended up being drug dealers. I even did it myself for a while(weed only), till I realised I couldnt be asked to run around for and wait on people all the time. I thought I was wasting my life away, so took up music to do something productive instead, still working on it tho, lol.
Now I still wonder if Im wasting my life away.
I had the opportunity to go onto further education, I took A level Maths(physics) and Technical drawing(I wanted to be an architect) but ended up leaving after a row with my parents, so I just bit off my nose to spite my face.
Now Im living with that mistake, and its no one elses fault but my own.

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
I had a friend at school, he was really good at football(soccer), he was a one man team, he could take on a whole team and still score. He never pursued it as a career, last I heard he was selling coke.
A lot of my friends ended up being drug dealers. I even did it myself for a while(weed only), till I realised I couldnt be asked to run around for and wait on people all the time. I thought I was wasting my life away, so took up music to do something productive instead, still working on it tho, lol.
I had the opportunity to go onto further education, I took A level Maths(physics) and Technical drawing(I wanted to be an architect) but ended up leaving after a row with my parents, so I just bit off my nose to spite my face.

LOL, you and I are alot alike...But you talk funny.
I cosign with this. Sometimes I think music, like a drug, helped me piss away a different direction.

MagnaOpera

Comes Equipped...
ill o.g.
just about everyone I know could have been doing better than they currently are.

such is life.

afriquedeluxe

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 221
Not yet, but i've heard many stories of this. i guess it's like a reminder to really make use of the talents you have. And also not to have the "ego" ever deceive you into thinking that success is guaranteed because you are a natural, or just good at whatever it is that you do.

MagnaOpera

Comes Equipped...
ill o.g.
^ you could have probably been a millionaire right now, but I'm guessing you're not.

technically very few people live up to their full potential.

slik da relic

RS Jedi
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
I can still remember, back in the days around December
83, 84 Hip Hop was young n limber
and i was this young kid growin up in the street
checkin out Grandmaster Flash and The Treacherous 3
Slick Gee the G-MC was the name that came about
Run DMC was about to come out, no doubt
i had clout but i wanted more
fancy limousines while im out on tour
keep the crowd cheerin and their hands clappin
but as u see that just didnt happen
i still aint came out from all that hard work
of bein pushed to the side and constantly gettin jerked
stolen rhythms n beats, my music heard on the street
but them brothas is weak, they couldnt handle the peak of greatness
now theyre in space feelin weightless
to much at stake for dA Relic to fake this
but now im at the "Next Plateau"
we dont need them motherfuckas or them "Fast Life" suckas
cause this is a dedication
to all my brothas in the struggle from the crew of Devastation
we all wanted our pockets fatter
cuz is this world there's only one thing that matters
MONEY... and i could not wait
to drive a phat Ninety Eight wit a custom plate, there's no debate
i had the skillz but got lazy
my future was hazy, my moms thought i was crazy
just maybe, i'll get put on b4 im outta skool
DAMN i was a FOOL
cuz education comes 1st, no less no worse
dont try to reherse as i kick this 1st verse
you'll see ur life go by in a flash
u can only change ur future and not ur past!

if i knew then what i know now
i wouldve passed up skinz around town
got my ass in skool and graduated on time
and STILL came out wit my rhyme

2X

da relic

sorry... i felt the urge to spit one of my old verses...lol

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304

You can't think that it was a mistake, there could possibly something in the cards for you that will make you happy, and that doesn't necessarily mean rich...You could always make the most and see the potential in each situation. Maybe you just have to look deeper into it.. Everything happens for a reason...Maybe an architectual career would've gotten you paid...but you wouldn't have been making the dope shit you have. Maybe you'd find a career doing something you'd enjoy more. Just remember to see the positive in everything that seems negative

S.d.Relic Man..that story is probably told a million times a day.... but it's so relevant...

You can't think that it was a mistake, there could possibly something in the cards for you that will make you happy, and that doesn't necessarily mean rich...You could always make the most and see the potential in each situation. Maybe you just have to look deeper into it.. Everything happens for a reason...Maybe an architectual career would've gotten you paid...but you wouldn't have been making the dope shit you have. Maybe you'd find a career doing something you'd enjoy more. Just remember to see the positive in everything that seems negative

S.d.Relic Man..that story is probably told a million times a day.... but it's so relevant...

Dont get me wrong, I dont regret my past, because it made me what I am today.
I made a point of saying it was my own fault because I dont blame anybody for the way things have turned out.
I was a stupid naive kid who thought he knew it all, and found I didnt.
If I had gone down that path then I doubt music would have become the passion it is now.
And to be honest, I really dont know what Id do without my love of music.
Hiphop has kept me grounded to the reality that no matter how bad Ive had it, others have had it a damn sight harder than me.
I have had success in life, I have fathered 3 beautiful children that I love with all my heart(even if I dont get to see them), I have held the same job for 5 years(a serious acheivement for me), and I have managed to develop my musical ability into something Im very proud of.
My goals for the future have changed from making a full time career out of music(its looking harder all the time), into contributing back into the art that has given me so much enjoyment for most of my life, whether I get paid for it or not.
I dont want fame and fortune, I just want a pension and to enjoy my career, and get enough respect within the industry to get my most respected artists on my tracks. Thats all I ask, that could be asking too much, but Im enjoying working on it.

everyone regrets certain decisions they have made in life. Its the ability to move on and progress that separates the has-been from the will-be.

Word, the bad experiences in life have only ever made me a stronger person.
More determined, and also more empathic to the problems of others.

dj ShorTbuS

Cold Get Retarded
ill o.g.
Im in the same boat as most of you. I have a couple friends that are really smart and could've went on to higher education and done anything they wanted but instead they liked to party. They did well in high school but school wasn't for them. They're in the union now which isn't a bad job at all but they could've done more.

On the other hand I also know some people that I knew weren't going to do a damn thing with their life the moment I met them.

MagnaOpera

Comes Equipped...
ill o.g.
higher education does not equate to more money. I guarantee you most successful entrepreneurs decided to forgo secondary education.

Most professions that require the more common secondary education degrees (law, medical etc.) are saturated because of the perpetration of the above myth anyways, and I won't even get into the huge debt that usually goes along with obtaining a bachelor's or masters.

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
A close friend of mine growing up was so good at skateboarding he got sponsored by this new shoe company at the time called Nice Shoes.....He got new kicks and gear every month as well as decks and he only got better every month, but then eventually he got bored of skating and decided to party most of the time instead.....

Now even tho skateboarding is something u cant do your entire life, there are plenty of guys who are still going strong in the pro arena that are actually older then he is so realistically it was a matter of choice rather then anything else.....Cuz once these guys go pro they get free clothes, free everything really, paychecks, and free flights all over the world to go skate other exotic places.....Sounds fucking fun as hell to me personally.....

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
Yeah, but Tony Hawk is one of the greatest ever. Lol.

So you'd have to be one of the greatest ever to get your own game....

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
Naw man, theres a ton of heads that have skated for mad long and are still sponsored and going strong without having to get a real job.....
Danny Way
Colin McKay
Paul Rodriguez
Eric Kosten
Jamie Thomas
Steve Caballero
Mark Gonzalas
Dave Duncan (Now a major accouncer of the XGames)

The list goes on man...