Do hip hop producers use sidechaining?

A

antoine

Sidechaining?

Just want to know as this is a big thing in dance when it comes to bass lines and the kick?

Just want to know if Hip hop uses this in production?

A

antoine

using a compressor as a sidechain. Perfect example sidechain compressor on the bass to duck the kick!

So if the kick falls on the bass, the sidechain compresson on the bass will duck and weave giving the kick sonic room.....

Fury

W.W.F.D
ill o.g.
using a compressor as a sidechain. Perfect example sidechain compressor on the bass to duck the kick!

So if the kick falls on the bass, the sidechain compresson on the bass will duck and weave giving the kick sonic room.....

yea ive done it never on hip hop i did it on a curtis mayfield session i had to mix for school..but u can do it hip hop it depends on ur vision for the song anything really is possible

beatboye

ill o.g.
Compression is a type of sidechaining so i tink it's Vocal performances in rock music or pop music yeh maybe yu can use it wid vocals like on hooks and choruses yu know hiphop wise

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
a sidechain (also refered to as "key") is a signal that triggers to either duck or gate (compress) a signal going through the signal processor (gate/compressor) to even fluctuations from 2 signals (input + key input). Take a kick and a bass par example, dance rule no. 1; the kick is lead and in front of the mix, a bass could still after compression duck a kick signal from its place in the mix so they feed the bass signal through the keyinput in order to duck when a kick hits the input providing headroom and equal level when both would overlap frequencies.

here's a dope tutorial
http://www.db-audioware.com/videos/scc/scc.html
http://sonictransfer.com/side-chain-compression-tutorial.shtml

B

butchabeatz

well i wasnt sure exactly what sidechaining was until i read all the post but now that i do this technique is used quit often in southern hip hop which in most cases is bass heavy but to allow the kick to be heard the bass iss gated and or copressed so the kick has pressence on the track i use this alot

stormelements

Beats That Knock
ill o.g.
a sidechain (also refered to as "key") is a signal that triggers to either duck or gate (compress) a signal going through the signal processor (gate/compressor) to even fluctuations from 2 signals (input + key input). Take a kick and a bass par example, dance rule no. 1; the kick is lead and in front of the mix, a bass could still after compression duck a kick signal from its place in the mix so they feed the bass signal through the keyinput in order to duck when a kick hits the input providing headroom and equal level when both would overlap frequencies.

here's a dope tutorial
http://www.db-audioware.com/videos/scc/scc.html
http://sonictransfer.com/side-chain-compression-tutorial.shtml

Thanks for the info, I had no idea what Sidechain was.

static

static yessir
ill o.g.
shouldint catagorize anything

a producer wether what genre should be capable to using anything from sidechaing, to sample farts, to recording a mariachi band for a beat.

if they cant then it should be their goal to get creative.

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
^^ a producer yeah, most beat creators use very limited studio techniques because their gear experience is mostly also limited. Like i bought a ds201 years ago but i assume that at least 75% here doesnt know what it is without using google...so lets put it on a specific drawback when working in virtual realm only in regards to its learning curve .

static

static yessir
ill o.g.
^^ a producer yeah, most beat creators use very limited studio techniques because their gear experience is mostly also limited. Like i bought a ds201 years ago but i assume that at least 75% here doesnt know what it is without using google...so lets put it on a specific drawback when working in virtual realm only in regards to its learning curve .

how much did it cost you?

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 73
I use side chaining in my Ableton Live 7 DJ rig set up so me or the Emcee talking doesn't have to reach over and pull down the music fader to be heard. It's used in Radio alot. As far as while producing if you got good mixing skills imo it's not needed. Eq and panning is the number one way give everythings it's own space. It's used in Dance/Techno joints quite frequently from what I can tell. It tends to give the bass elements in techno that pumping sound by ducking something else. Sounds good in some genre's but in hip hop I don't know!

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
i paid 35 euro hehehe i had to replace a rocker switch, that was all. i have no clue how much they would go for atm, they're common in most big studios and mostly feature 2 of em racked up...the ds201 is very fast which makes it the ideal gate.

i have an older version as i noticed a revised model is still being manufactured (i have an all black model, no grey backpanel) and is 800 bucks @ sweetwater

http://www.drawmer.com/products/pro-series/ds201.php

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
I use side chaining in my Ableton Live 7 DJ rig set up so me or the Emcee talking doesn't have to reach over and pull down the music fader to be heard. It's used in Radio alot. As far as while producing if you got good mixing skills imo it's not needed. Eq and panning is the number one way give everythings it's own space. It's used in Dance/Techno joints quite frequently from what I can tell. It tends to give the bass elements in techno that pumping sound by ducking something else. Sounds good in some genre's but in hip hop I don't know!

also hiphop, any genre for that matter unless its acoustic like jazz or classic. Production wise there is no different treatment to hiphop when comparing it to dance music, both genre are subjected to the same mixing rules,techniques and equipment. I understand you're remark that it shouldnt be neccesary if you're mixing and eq'ing skills are up to par, but you can also consider its features as an effect instead of a tool, like gating a 2 track drum group to create more space in the mix (duck between kick snare and hats). This does not involve compression but thats not always neccesary either.