Dj equipment questions

ill o.g.
word up - i recently won a denon sn3500 cd turntable and i already have a pioneer cdj1000....couple questions:
1) looking to get a mixer primarily for scratching, mixing,...what are the necessary components that are needed for a decent mixer?

2)any good books, websites, dvds, sources to learn about djing....i've been producing for awhile so i know my way relatively around equipment but real new to this aspect

3)where do you score a coffin for cd turntables?

thx - Sub con

GRAFIK

Vinyl Addict
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
it depends on how much you are willing to spend. I have a Vestax PMC05II, which i have had for some time now, and it is a great mixer. But if you have some money and you are into scratching i would suggest the RANE TTM56, which is more on the expensive side. but the good part about this mixer is the magnetic fader.(NEVER FADES OUT, DONT HAVE TO REPLACE IT) I've had to replace my crossfader about 10+ times because they only last for a certain amount of time. There are several other mixer that have moved on to this tech., so i would suggest one with a magnetic fader because you are going to put more into replacing faders than you spent on the mixer.

When i first started djing i wanted to know the same thing, but honestly i bought videos books, etc. trying to learn how to scratch, beat juggle, mixing, etc. and it did me no good. The only way you are going to get good is practice, practice, practice like anything else!

http://www.hollywooddj.com/djcases.html

ill o.g.
thanks grafik...i'll definitely take your advice on that..any idea where to get the most least expensive price for say the rane or another good magnetic fader type?

KurtisRich

Pussy Monster
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 13
Yea I used to have the Rane TTM56. The fader is definetly smooth and definetly the best for scratching. The sound output was on of the best I've heard. Especially when you're messing with the bass n treble. But the only flaw about it was when I was juggling records, the fader was a little too smooth and sensitive because of the magnet and would often bounce everytime I'm doing body tricks and moving the fader back n forth too quick.

So I traded that for a Vestax PMC 07. It's good mixer too. It does the job for battler's like myself. The only flaw is that I scratch and juggle the shit out of it so much that the fader's starts getting rough and not as smooth as before. I might need to lube it up or suttin ahha.

I agree with what Grafik said, you can buy all the books and videos, it but if you don't practice, you aint shit.

GRAFIK

Vinyl Addict
ill o.g.
well like i said the rane is not inexpensive, but honestly it is worth it in the long run, your gonna look at $700+ for a rane mixer. Dont get a cheap mixer, worst thing you can do! I payed $350 for my vestax, and bought like 10+ faders at $50 a piece, which is an extra $500, so in total at the moment i have spent close to a grand on my mixer, just save up and buy the Rane, honestly it is worth it in the long run, if you are serious about djing. dont get me wrong the vestax are real nice mixers but i wish i would have got a rane......

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
Oh good right on time...
I have 2 Vestax cdx05's and a 10inch dennon mixer.
I need a case(casket,coffin).
*Shit on Alert*
I HAD ordered one through Sam Ashe and do yourselves a favour and NEVER deal with them. After a month of me riding their ass they told me yesterday that "oh sorry" again "but Odyssey hasnt cut the material yet".
HMMM... deposit returned, manager conference, assurance that I would tell 10 people to tell ten people to TELL 10 people to NEVER do business with them
( this wasnt the 1st time with this problem).
Where can I get a good casket online for this equipment?
Are these cdj's any good for scratching? (I know the mixers hot) they are my first.
Sam Asshole had it at like the $250US or under range.
Thanx...

J-ReZyN

Soul Slinger
ill o.g.
For equipment cases or any other equipment you should check www.musiciansfriend.com or www.zzounds.com. I like www.zzounds.com better. I bought a few things from them and they're always cheaper than everyplace else, no tax and most times free shipping and they deliver really fast. I agree - Sam Ash sucks. I went to one near me and the prices were crazy. The sales help was shit too. I went in for a mic and when I finally got someone to help me, he acted like I was wasting his time.