disabling local sounds from a drum machine...

dirtEjerz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
im using an akai xr 20 to trigger samples from a boss sp 202.kind of an unorthodox set up, mad new drum machine with a mad old sampler. anyway i was wondering , is it possible to disable the local sounds coming from the xr 20 pad while im triggering the samples on the 202? cuz im triggering the samples from the 202 fine , but when i hit the pad itll still play the sound thats loaded on that pad from the drum machine. get it? any help would be much apreciated

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
local off and using the xr as a controller to your daw, track select in the daw still lets you use the xr's sounds. It simply implies that the controls on the xr dont adres the sounds directly onboard but still sends note messages through the midi out put. I dont know the xr seq but you could also slave a daw to it,using its vst's.

dirtEjerz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Ok so the first suggestion from slik is a good one . How ever I want to make beats that consist of the drum machine sounds and patterns mixed with the samples on the boss. So if I unplug the audio from my drum machine ill basically lose my drums. One work around could be sample my drum breaks from the drum machine into the sampler .and just use the drum machine as a soundless sequencer. But by doing that I would be like maxing the polyphony on the sampler really quick and I will be using a prett dope drum£achine strictly for sequencing not utilizing all its potential. So the last suggestion about using the a daw as a sequencer. Great idea but I don't have a daw setup right.now. Just yring to make due with what I havez. I think the only way ill be able to do what I want is shut off the local like formant said. But I haven't seen anything in the manual yet. I'm going to keep looking in it at the same time I shot akaisn email

slik da relic

RS Jedi
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
i think u have ur midi set to "omni" or "all"... both machines must be on seperate channels... put one drum machine on channel 1, the other on channel 2... u should have 16 channels on each if they have full midi functions.

da relic

dirtEjerz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
i think u have ur midi set to "omni" or "all"... both machines must be on seperate channels... put one drum machine on channel 1, the other on channel 2... u should have 16 channels on each if they have full midi functions.

da relic

i think your right i did see the section for omi in the sytem setup of the akai,and i know for a fact that both the machine and sampler were set to channel 9(the same channel) ill make those changes when i get home and post the results, thanks you guys are mad helpful

slik da relic

RS Jedi
ill o.g.
yea... i just googled the images of both, the dr202 has a "midi" button, and the xr has a "system setup" button... that should fix everything... simply change the channel of one of them and u should be able to set it up correctly... i believe its the "slave" drum machine u hafta change... the controller (master) should be left on all or omni.

1000 posts bitches... wow!!!

where's my 1000 posts award and my free Neko workstation???!!!

da relic

slik da relic

RS Jedi
ill o.g.
the reason i said take the jacks out of one drum machine is so that u wont get ANY sound coming out of it... sometimes, turning down the volume doesnt completely lower the sound (you would hafta check ur machine with the volume turned down to see if sounds can still be heard)... but u said u needed sounds from both machines... thats the easiest way though, without changing the midi channels... u would hafta record twice, once for both drum machines doin it this way.

da relic

dirtEjerz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
so this is whati ended up doin, cuz my drum machine has 3 instrument layers, drums, one shot and synth. each are mutable, but even if the tracks are muted they will send out the midi data ;)

members online