Direct me with my next step.

z0n3d0u7

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I've got some money in my pocket, And a decent income tax check on the way.

So far, Im working with:

a Nice midi controller / keyboard [Casio WK-3000],
An Akai MPD16,
Fruity loops 6 PE [with plugin's.],
Battery 2,
Audicity.

For monitoring, I've got a deceny set of sony headphone's [MDR-V250], And a phillip's surround sound, That'll get me threw for now.

Im using On-board sound card, But i havent noticed it holding me back too much, other then a SMALL amount of delay with the MPD.

I've got a TON of sound's from the net. But i Also have about 30 Vinal's, that'd i'd LOVE to sample from.

I'd also like to have a mixer / mic, And a Headphone amp, So I can record vocal's, And have 2+ headphone's hooked up, So a friend or someone can listen in. A mic isnt REAL important, Because im more into making beat's, Then rapping. However, occasionly i like to have freestyle session's. But i have a cheap dynamic mic that work's good enough for that.

So, I've narrowed it down on these fact's.

Either, a turn table [Simply for sampling. Thinking one of the USB's?], A sound card [Probably my best bet, As ill need to do it someday, But it isnt harming me at all right now.], Or a Mic, Mixer, And Headphone amp [Do i need an amp, with one of the beringer mixer's?]

I think ill go with the turntable. Which would you guy's reccomend? Numark TTUSB @ $169, Or the Ion audio ITTUSB @ $139.96. Or something else? Im trying to keep it around $200. A TT200 or something would be nice, But then i'd need a mixer to run it into my computer, And that'd be a bit over budget..

Also, What are those "USB" controller thing's [Midi man?], That are basically two Jog-wheel's / turn table's? I wouldnt mind haveing one of those to get into mixing.. Anyone know the correct name of them? [Searched MidiMan on Ebay, Nothing.], And if there worth this weight in gold?

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
For any of the midi controllers you want to use I definitly recommend getting a proper soundcard because that 2ms delay will bother you eventualy and keeps you from getting intuitive while making beats. You dont need an amp, but you can get a soundcard with breakout box which mostly come with a mic pre, some I/O's etc and headphone outs.

z0n3d0u7

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
So your telling me to upgrade my sound card, And keep using the same sample's [Honestly not even really sample's, Just sound's. Im really lacking in the sample department.]? So far, The 2MS delay isnt bad, And that's with on-board sound's, And no ASIO driver's installed. I can honestly live with it, but sound's, I dont know about.

The mixer and mic will wait tho. Altho, I'd love to be able to run two set's of headphone's..

z0n3d0u7

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Formant024 said:
do a search for asio4all and leech it

Im buying a "Stricktly Music" computer tomarrow, Which will be just as said, Stricktly for music. It'll only be on-line when im downloading sound's, ect. I'll try the ASIO4ALL when i get it..

I been scamming threw a few of the more popular low-end sound card's, like the Maudio 2496, and EMU 0404.. I notice there is only 1x Midi I/O, Correct? Meaning i can only run one controller at a time?

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
no, midi works in chains, so if your s/w is set to receive controller info from chnl1 than all the midi stuff on the input set to chnl1 send data to the soundcard and will recognize midimessages from all the stuff in chain, not particulairly one machine. So a mpd and a midicontroller can simply be put in a serial chain (out>in>out>in ).

I'd go for the 0404, its cheaper and has better converters.

konceptG

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Get an audio card. You'll want to look at either the M-Audio Audiophile 2496 or Emu 0404. They're both excellent cards and both run $100. The one clear advantage that the Audiophile gives you is that you can run ProTools with it if the need to do so arises.

You're going to want monitors too. Get a pair of M-Audio BX5a's or Behringer Truth's. On an extremely tight budget, M-Audio DX4's can be had for $150 at GC. They don't sound that bad either, I just auditioned a pair last Friday. A bit light on the low end, but you can't expect a lot out of a pair of 4" drivers.

z0n3d0u7

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Well, Copped the new rig today.

AMD 3100+, 258mb stick [And i added a 512mb already.], 100 gb hard drive, I went ahead and added a Geforce 4, Due to the fact it was sitting around.

I gotta start installing software, and downloading some ASIO Driver's, Ect.

As far as the Radio shack $150 turn table, If i we're to spend that much on one, It'd be a TT200. Im wanting something USB, so i do not need a mixer.

And monitor's? I feel that. But right now, I simply can't afford them. Im not THAT into it yet, to drop $250-300 on some speaker's, im not even sure i'll use most the time. I do have headphone's, And a decent way to live monitor.

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
not to bash in your budget limit, but you have no reference as how the sound really is imaged on hi-fi speakers since they always colour the sound. There are some better hi-fi speaker brands that do work on a budget ( B&W 602 ) along a proper amp. What you could do is burn some tracks and take em to a musichouse somewhere, pick out a genelec and notice the differences.

z0n3d0u7

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
But for now, Im just having fun, Getting used to the Equip, Ect. And it'd really be nice to go with a turntable to have new sound's, Then to have what it'd take to put out quality music. Right now, I dont plan to sell anything. I started really getting into Production two to three month's before the drop of FL6. I've got alot to learn from now till then. And also alot of record's collecting dust.

members online