Digital Multitrack Recording Workstations

• beat this! voting starts in...

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 25
who owns one of these... i am refering to the boss/roland/korg/yamaha/zoom "all in one" variety, 4/8/12/16 tracks....

i currently use a korg pxr4, but when i get my 8 outs for my mpc i will have a total of 16 tracks with which to mix down on. now i know i will need a mixer to mix everything out, and so i will likely upgrade to an 8 track for doing vocals (four really isnt enough in the long run) and so my question is this: will i need a Stereo Input on this, for everything to come in mixed? i am refering to panning settings, individual eq, etc....

i figured the stero outs on the mpc and the motif would be enough to record these types of settings, and sadly i was wrong..... but i do not want to run out and get something else and still lack the same thing. the computers i use are not mine, so the software route isnt happening for a while.

also, the 4 extra outs are "subgroups" - does this mean that each "subgroup" is on its own stereo channel?i will ask on motifator.com, but while i was asking i figured this would be as any to ask!!!...besides, VITAMINMAN is usually pretty good at answering these types of questions...

by the way.........

:windup: hey, VITAMINMAN...... if you dont start posting more often and sharing that wealth of knowledge of yours with the rest of us, i will personally kick your @$$ from here to Copenhagen, take all your gear, and take your MOD position from you... so HOP TO!!!!!!!!!1 :whip:

vitaminman

IllMuzik Staff
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
Hey,

Wow, Denmark's a long way from here! I'd better get posting...

I'm not sure I understand your questions, I'll do my best...

1. Will you need a stereo input on WHAT exactly? Normally mixers don't have stereo inputs, they have a series of mono inputs which you can pan hard left and right. Example: you connect the stereo outs of your MPC into channnels 1 and 2 on the mixer, pan channel 1 hard left and channel 2 hard right...you then plug the stereo outs of the Motif into channels 3 and 4 on the mixer, pan them hard left and right...

The 4 signals will be sent to the main outs of the mixer as a stereo pair!

2. What device has the 4 subgoups? The Motif? A subgroup will usually be a stereo send, they do on my synths anyways...mine only have 2 subgroups, though, maybe yours are 4 mono groups? You'll have to read up on this in the manual.

Personally I think that you're going about this the wrong way. For the same amount of money you spend on an external hardware recorder, you could buy a pretty nice computer with an 8 i/o soundcard and multitrack software. A computer is WWWAAAAYYYY more powerful than a recorder in the amount of features and editing power. You can also get software to edit your Motif and MPC sounds using the monitor and mouse...a lot easier than using the LCD and buttons on your gear.

Why are you getting the extra 8 outs on the MPC? Usually people use them in conjunction with an external mixer so they can mix with faders and send individual tracks to eq's, external effects, etc..

Have you also considered getting a simple external mixer? You could plug everything into it, mix, and send the mixed signal into your Korg for recording.

Take care,

Nick

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
i am getting a behringer 18 track... i want the 8 outs because i cant record any panning, and also because i want to mix the individual tracks with its own effects and eq, basically i want a more "pro" finished product... anyhow, yeah, i was think about the pc to day... i will likely invest in that next for recording.... the actual question was wether or not the main output, having been mixed to my liking, would be able to be mixed down to the korg, since it only has a 1/8" input. i have the adapter for the two 1/4" cables, so i was wondering if that would work... the only rason i was considering the bigger recorder was for the purpose of vocals, because 3 tracks really isnt enough, plus i plan on incorperating live instruments as well... the motif is what has the sub groups... thanks for the feedback.

vitaminman

IllMuzik Staff
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
Hey,

1. Remember a stereo signal only means that there are two discreet audio paths; you'll have to do some track panning in the MPC for it to sound like a stereo signal, or else everything will be sent to both outputs equally. The adaptor should work provided that it is a real stereo plug and not something that simply combines two mono signals into a single mono signal.

2. Doesn't the Korg allow you to mix virtual tracks? Can you do virtual mixing on it by bouncing tracks? This is how hardware recorders work...

Take care,

Nick

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
you have virtual tracks on the korg, but this thing really wasnt designed for the use of midi..... it would take FOREVER to use that as my mixer. its really made for basic demos, a guitar, a base, a drum track and a vocal take, kind of like that... it doesnt really allow for much in the way of midi. yeah, i know how to use the mixer on the mpc, but the only time you can hear a stereo signal without the extra outs is when you use headphones, and i am not sure if the 1/8" plug recieves stereo signal. i dont think the plug turns it into stereo, either... is there one that does?

Louie Lou

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
You'll probably need something like this to convert your analog to stereo on the fly

Focusrite Platinum Range: TwinTrak Pro
ttpro590.jpg

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
hey vitamin... whats a "mini stereo jack" thats what the line input on my korg is called... does this have any significance as to what can be done with this?

Waynyce

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
I have a Roland VS890. I did a few small projects on it. I have a small setup so I ran everything into it. It's a 24bit 8 track. I'm thinking about selling it though.

MadScientist

Geniuz
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 20
Digital Multitrack Recording Workstations Suck

For the price of a "Digital Multitrack Recording Workstations" there not worth it. You can buy a G4 Mac computer along with a Digi 001, Digi 002, Motu 828 or anything thats audio interface with a/d converters ... that set up is more compatible with professional studios and you get more tracks for vocals (aproxx. 24 and up) or just multi-tracking a beat. Also most "Digital Multitrack Recording Workstations" records audio in a compressed format which takes away quality. There is a lot more details but I'm not a techie...I wish I was....I made a mistake and bought a roland vs1880 and I want to sell it because it limits me on what I can do... editing, # of tracks, etc.

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
anyone here work with an akai dps 12? that looks attractive, because of the 200 dollar price tag for 12 tracks... my mixer will handle the effects and all that.. the pc is out of the question for the next 6 months or so, so i am looking for the best possible way to do this at a "bargain" rate for now.

6mics

MadScientist Speaks the Truth!

I almost went the MPC route.
Would have been a big mistake.
an MPC is a computer, with sequencing software and one octave of a keybord (keys changed to pads), built in sampler software. with a tiny screen. The only advantage is that you can hit the pads and generate the sound. Thats it.

A PC/MAC with the relevant software kicks an MPC's ass. In my humble opinion. An MPC is only good for drums cuz of the live feel.

As for chopping = Soundforge > Recycle > Reason and a midi keyboard and its really good.

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
hey 6mics... please dont take this the wrong way!!! this wasnt an mpc question. actually, i own an mpc. i have recently worked with a few software programs, and i have to say that i do not enjoy working with them. we all prefer different things.

anyhow, the question was about digital recorders. i wont be able to own a pc for a while, and i currently use a friends to go online, so i have been checking out these hardware recorders.

6mics

Brain Blockade

Sorry, had MPC on the brain this morning. Meant HD recorders about missing your question.
Re: your question.
Personally I would get a PC or MAC (If I had the cash)
Or start out sifting through ebay.
A homie just bought a YAMAHA AW16G and has gotten tired of it in just 3 months.

Limitations Galore.

B

Billy Bathgate

For all yall!!!!

I have an MPC and at 1880. I like what I have. I am probably going to up grade to Pro Tools in the near future. only because it's easy for people that I work with in Chicago to send a pro tools file to them and they can record and mix between 2 cities. Plus that is what thy use up there. Full Blown!! it's hot!!! I may be selling my VS in the near future. if anybody wants to buy hit me up.

There isn't much out there that is touching the MPC right now. there may be some cool programs but I really like the MPC.

Peace

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
???? ok... i recomend NOT getting into a vs-type recorder, unless you have the $$$ and dont really need anything else. i am fully convinced that these are a waste for those on a budget.

monumental

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 6
i would suggest getting some kind of roland vs1680, or 1824cd, 2400cd, vs2480, those are all good afortable recorders, i have the 1824cd, itis great and very user friendly. hope that might help, i would not get a 8 track because a soon i u start doing sterio, u will be running out of tracks.

MadScientist

Geniuz
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 20
No... don't do it ......its a waste ..... its not compatible with pro tools or any other professional recording software I owned one and it was worthless .... I took a aluminum bat to it and bashed it into pieces. (Really)

Louie Lou

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I have a Roland CDX-1 and if you don't have patience, I don't recommend you get it. It was a mistake for me to buy it, but It has some good sampling capablities also, so I kept it. I recommend a korg or akai, if you really want to get a digital workstation. The CDX-1 can eat up some CDRW's. It is really picky on what type/brand of CDRW you use, and I think roland is not supporting the operating system anymore. They even took it off their US product listing. :(.

C

coupdegrace

"I bought both "a tascam pocketstudio 4track they were askin $600 I got it for $420 because I am a mc not a producer(not yet)and I seen it in a mag as bein the best bang fo tha buck then bought a computer to manage the mp3s i dont even manage to get the little thing with lights outta the box. but in about five years when I finish cypherin all this
rediculously foul manual we'll see how good this 420 dolla laptop table really works.1