Deflated

kaz2284

Hey everyone this is the first beat I've cooked up since joining the forum and wanted to get some feedback. With this I was really focusing on trying to keep things clean and simple with a decent arrangement. I've been at this less than a month so any all all feedback would be amazing. Thanks!

Ys Man

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 21
For a month in its ok but the bass is off key quite badly, if you cant hear it raise it by an octave or 2 and see how it sounds to you then

kaz2284

For a month in its ok but the bass is off key quite badly, if you cant hear it raise it by an octave or 2 and see how it sounds to you then
Thank you for the feedback. I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the idea of key right now but will keep digging and learning.

Ys Man

ILLIEN
Thank you for the feedback. I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the idea of key right now but will keep digging and learning.
Focus on scales and how they work, saying its out of key is basically saying you are going off the scale you are using which is 7 notes across the octave that you use and no others, so if you have 8 different lettered notes then you will be off key generally speaking. I think there can be exceptions but best leave that to the experts

kaz2284

Focus on scales and how they work, saying its out of key is basically saying you are going off the scale you are using which is 7 notes across the octave that you use and no others, so if you have 8 different lettered notes then you will be off key generally speaking. I think there can be exceptions but best leave that to the experts
Thanks for the explanation. I've been using the scale highlight feature in FL to try to make sure I stay on key which is why this threw me off some because the base notes fall on the scale but moving up octaves like you suggested highlighted how terrible they sounded.

Ys Man

ILLIEN
Thanks for the explanation. I've been using the scale highlight feature in FL to try to make sure I stay on key which is why this threw me off some because the base notes fall on the scale but moving up octaves like you suggested highlighted how terrible they sounded.
If using the newest fl try turning on lock to scale then it wont let you go off, not sure if it was available before the latest update

kaz2284

If using the newest fl try turning on lock to scale then it wont let you go off, not sure if it was available before the latest update
Thanks for that tip as well. I found the feature and will remember to turn it on for any future projects. I still haven't figured out the bass issue here but am starting to think it might be instrument tuning. I think I ended up changing the tuning of the bass but nothing else because of something I had read. Product of information overload without understanding how the underlying principals work. Thanks again for all the help.

Ys Man

ILLIEN
Thanks for that tip as well. I found the feature and will remember to turn it on for any future projects. I still haven't figured out the bass issue here but am starting to think it might be instrument tuning. I think I ended up changing the tuning of the bass but nothing else because of something I had read. Product of information overload without understanding how the underlying principals work. Thanks again for all the help.
No probs weve all been there, and dont sweat it after a month you could definately be in alot worse position than you are so keep at it

members online