Dave Smith Mopho synth review

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
imo, its a bang for a buck (330 euro new) if you like the sound of curtis chips in a bass synth.

Personaly, i dont prefer dave smith/sequential for basslines that need or will be modulated too from the device itself. I played with the mopho through a sherman filterbank which made the bass much phatter.

I think a nice alternative to mopho for a bit more would be a second hand SE atc-1 tone chameleon.

saintjoe

Audio Fanatic...
ill o.g.
I would love an SE synth as well, specifically for bass, different sound for sure, I mainly use the DSI for leads, a lil bass too, but some nice thick synthy leadlines. I definitely want to get a tetra so I can have the polyphony. Also considering picking up a moog minitaur for some bass duties :)

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
I would love an SE synth as well, specifically for bass, different sound for sure, I mainly use the DSI for leads, a lil bass too, but some nice thick synthy leadlines. I definitely want to get a tetra so I can have the polyphony. Also considering picking up a moog minitaur for some bass duties :)

i'd skip all of those hehe , sell the mopho and get the prophet 08 desktop, you're never going to sell that one.

saintjoe

Audio Fanatic...
ill o.g.
I prefer the sound of the tetra engine over the prophet, which I almost bought recently lol. I liked the knobs but I LOVE having sub oscillators in an analog synth, sounds so awesome.

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
I prefer the sound of the tetra engine over the prophet, which I almost bought recently lol. I liked the knobs but I LOVE having sub oscillators in an analog synth, sounds so awesome.

Yeah, you got a point there, i never got around the fact that it doesnt have subs oscs although, after mixing i find that it still has more than enough low end to behave what you'd expect from bass (i.e atc-1 doesnt have need suboscs yet still typified a bass synth). Sub oscs are good to add body but during mix i always tune them back a lot as the as they eat quite a bit of headroom (freq vs db's).

I do get it though, in my old acid livesets days the acces virus for bass patches always had sub oscs... larger than life :)