Damn..this was a suprise

J Rilla

Tha Fresh Prince of L.A.
ill o.g.
I can't wait to get details on this one.....

Long time XXL editor-in-chief Elliott Wilson was suddenly fired from his post at the rap magazine today (Jan. 7).
Undisclosed sources from inside the XXL offices have confirmed that Wilson was terminated, though as of press time no reason has been offered. SOHH has learned that Wilson's contract with XXL parent company, Harris Publications, was up this month. Souces say deputy Editor, Vanessa Satten, has been appointed interim EIC.
Wilson began his career as a freelance journalist, writing for independent rap publications. Along with Sacha Jenkins, Brent Rollins, Gabriel Alvarez and Chairman Mao , Wilson started Ego Trip magazine in 1994. He joined The Source in 1996.
A power rift between then Source publisher David Mays and the editorial staff prompted several disgruntled employees to leave and start their own magazine, XXL. After his own conflict with Mays, Wilson too joined the new publication's ranks.
Wilson made an infamous industry name for himself by penning scathing editorials which often took direct and personal shots at his former empolyee, competitors, internet sites, and artists.
As SOHH previously reported back in Dec. 2006 Wilson was appointed to oversee DJ/producer magazine Scratch under the new name XXL Presents Scratch. In September of '07 the mag folded.

dacalion

Hands Of FIRE!
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 259
Well its always sad to see someone lose a high paying salary like E. Wilson was bang'n but I'm sure he'll get picked up by someone else. Dispite his cheap shot antics he is a very strOng writer and his skills will emerge somewhere else.

MOF

Guevara

BETTER THAN YESTERDAY
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 34
Thats Why I Havent Seen A Scratch Since 50 And Tim...guess They Knew They Was Goin Out. Wish I Woulda Saved All Them Old Copies Now Specially My Dre And Neptunes Cover. Peace Out Yellow Nig

manguino

Pressure Makes Diamonds
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 7
expect XXL to start shifting towards becoming a...

...lifestyle magazine.

as J-Smooth put it - "his wife's vision won" (referring to Wilson's wife, Danyel Smith, whose vision for Vibe magazine in the '90s has become the dominant urban mag format).

Guevara

BETTER THAN YESTERDAY
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 34
expect XXL to start shifting towards becoming a...

...lifestyle magazine.

as J-Smooth put it - "his wife's vision won" (referring to Wilson's wife, Danyel Smith, whose vision for Vibe magazine in the '90s has become the dominant urban mag format).

like we need any more baby Complex or GQ. them niggas ruined scratch....im pissed right now about that shit. thats all i would consider to be wrth my money at the magazine stand

members online