Cubase...

D

dainjarus

yo, i want to use cubase or cakewalk. what are the pros and cons of these two programs and can i use battery with both of them?? oh yeah, i'm on a mac....
thanks

dainja

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
I know that Cakewalk has a program for the Mac, called Metro. Go to their site to check it out. I don't know about Cubase though.

Maybe also check out Audio Forums - they have some good info on there.

Some Guy

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 100
Originally posted by dainjarus
yo, i want to use cubase or cakewalk. what are the pros and cons of these two programs and can i use battery with both of them?? oh yeah, i'm on a mac....
thanks

dainja

Waddup. Cubase is dope, so is Sonar. But you wont be able to run Sonar on Mac. The best sequencers available for mac are Cubase, Logic, Digital Performer, and Pro Tools. You can make quality shyt with any of those. If I had a mac and had to choose I'd pick Logic cuz they're owned by Apple now. But download some demo's and see which one you'll be able to work with better.

vitaminman

IllMuzik Staff
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
Hey,

You're on a Mac? Your options:

Cubase/Nuendo
Digital Performer
Logic
Metro
Pro Tools

My personal preference is Cubase because I've been using it for so long, but I'm sure the others are just as good. Programs like Logic and Digital Performer will have a very similar feature set, all three got their start in MIDI sequencing a long time ago and have moved forward with similar strides.

I've heard from people who use it that Pro Tools has TERRIBLE MIDI features, and it is very expensive because you need to run it with their hardware. They just moved up to version 6, maybe they've adressed some of the MIDI issues. Pro Tools is mainly an audio multitrack program, it has a lot of nice features like being able to automate EVERYTHING and its reputation as being the choice editor in big studios. This doesn't mean it's the best program out there, it's just been around the longest.

I used Metro many years ago when it was owned by Cakewalk, it's now owned by someone else...it was a very nice program, had a nice interface and a lot of features, they have an SE version for $60 which will probably do a lot of things you'll need.

The big question you should ask is 'what do I need my software to do' and choose the one which suits your needs. If you're doing only audio editing, a program like Deck, Peak or Spark would be good, if you're doing only sequencing, the programs I mentioned above should work.

Take care,

Nick