Counter Melodys

Teknology

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
ok im not too bad at making a basic beat with a melody but when it comes to making a counter melody and adding other things to make it sound more complex im not very good what are some tips or some things that you all do when adding things to the beat

Sanova

Guess Who's Back
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 9
What do you mean by "counter" melody.

you mean adding more sounds to ur basic melody?
If thats the case, then try using different instruments or higher octaves of the same instrument to play the same melody, that’s a common techinique used (see busta rhymes’ – I’ll hurt you) But at the same time that wont be enough.

So What I suggest is just getting another instrument out and playing random notes in the same key. For example if ur main melody uses the keys C, D, and E#, you don’t want ur bassline hitting on G.

So just stay in key and you should be fine.

Erica Johnson

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
What do you mean by "counter" melody.

you mean adding more sounds to ur basic melody?

I think I know what he means. When he says "counter" he means how we sometimes partner ONE melody with another melody that may come in the song later. For instance, I think the best way I do this is by doing variations of my FIRST melody with a different instrument or notes.

I think the best thing for "countering" melodies is to pick a FITTING sound that compliments BUT contrasts the first melody.

I am trying to think of an example of a song with countering melodies. "Countering" is a term I think Teknology chose that is fitting. You ever seen a passionate couple dance the TANGO? They are in sync, but they have this little bitty fight with each other over position sometimes. That can make a song interesting.

Teknology

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
that exactly what i mean i have trouble getting 2 different sounds or instruments to go together without sounding like its 2 different songs u know what i mean

Erica Johnson

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Teknology said:
that exactly what i mean i have trouble getting 2 different sounds or instruments to go together without sounding like its 2 different songs u know what i mean
How experimental are you in the lab? Are you comfortable on keys? Sometimes it will take HOURS to come up with something that you are hyped about. I am trying to think of some good ways for you to focus on variation, I will definitely post those ideas when they come. But for now, all I can say is to change instruments and play with scales. Mess around with different sounds and your keys also, see what happens.

I don't know how patient and determined you are in the lab, but it takes A LOT OF TIME to come up with something you love at times. Sometimes things just come right at you.

Are you satisfied with most of your melodies and how they work together? If you are, then most likely you are just in a rut right now that you will get out of. Like when a forward in soccer can't score goals to save his life, he is just in a drought, but it comes back.

Elementree

Musical Wizardry
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 8
Try and also think of creative rhythyms for your counter melody. The counter melody should kind of bounce between the original melody and fill in the blanks ya mean. Then you can accentuate at intervals with chimes, triangles, adding highs in your mix is key, maybe a tamb. or something of that nature as well. Its not about how many melodies you got runnin, its about how you ACCENTUATE the beat.

Sanova

Guess Who's Back
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 9
Teknology said:

what i said, still applies. stay in key dog.

YoungDecadeZ

ill o.g.
check this...When ever i have a hard time at coming with a basic melody...i just coutner the octaves against eachother..like say you play a C and a E .. then i'd play the C and a E on a higher octave but at the same pace..you know what im saying ? like C,E,stop,C,E(higher octaves)..you feel?

TACTIK

The most unique producer on here
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 527
Use and abuse the EQ on your samples. You dont want all of your counter melodys to have the same highs or lows. Make overlapping samples sound completly different from each other and flip it up.

MGTheFuture

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Counter melodies ? nah dude.

lol you just talking about COMPOSING in general..using more than one instrument.

COUNTER melody is call response...

when you have a string saying MARCO !!! and a Piano going POLO !!!

thats countering. Cuz they going back and forth.

but mixing 2 sounds together to make em sound like one song.. is all in composition..lol

no technique to it.. except play everything in the same Key and scale... BUT that is a Given....

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 25
practice, practice, practice

thats the best i can offer you

but start with some basic drills to get you going and hopefully develop an understanding.

play a regular a minor chord- a, c, e

hold that for one bar, and loop it for four bars, so you have a soft stab on the first measure of every bar.

find a string patch. now play a basic melody line using notes within that chord. a,c,d,e,g for example. spend a few minutes crafting a basic melody over the piano chord. dont hesitate to use both sides of the scale eithin the melody!

get a basic melody going, and find a bass patch. focus on just the root notes, being a,c, and e again.

no, this isnt rocket science, but its a great starting point and sometimes if i am trying to break a slump i do this exact same thing and it helps open my mind up.

obviously once your chord progresions get more complex and you arent just doing one bar stabs, things get much more complicated when you are arranging..... but start here, apply the same general princeples to your compositions no matter how complex, and you shuld be ok. you just have to work it out, really.

Iszazial

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
ive only been doing this a few years my self mostle making hiphop, so i can tell you im no master of the art but a few technics ive learned was build up's with your drumset and if im ever in a jam ill just take it to the basics. what i mean is sometimes ill just take a break from the melody and work with the rest of the song, after i feel the song has developed enough i will move on to the hook or sometime even start with the hook and work from there to the rest of the song. the best piece of advice i can give is focus on all aspects of your beat and it just comes with time, and a whole lot of practice.