copywriting your beats

P_1

One of THE OG MEMBERS
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 38
Ok i have a question. So how many of you who work with labels do your own copywriting? i want to know if i should be copywriting my own work as just instrumentals or have the label copywrite the song when its already recorded. i am under BMI and am not sure if, when registering works, i should use the copywright number to the instrumental or the song. Does anyone have any ideas? thanks

Kontents

I like Gearslutz
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
You should be copy righting your own works personally. Once your track becomes a song its a mutual bind between you and the lyricist. Once you copyright your works you actually have more choices to what you can do.

For instance: You can license the use to the artist and still keep ownership of the instrumental to use in various other fields i.e. tv, games etc. and that leads to more $$$$.

Peace Out Pat

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
So, I'm new here, I've got a bunch of really cool musics that I have nothing I can figure out to do with, and I'm too scared to put them on the internet, because I think people are going to steal them. How do I go about making my songs copyrighted?

7thangel

7th Angel of Armageddon
ill o.g.
you mean register your copyrights, your music is automatically copyrighted if it's original and in a fixed media i.e. cd, mp3, archived, etc.
if you're american, you have to register with the u.s. copyright office check http://www.copyright.gov/. note: you can choose the traditional method or sign up and use their eco service (electronic copyright office). eco is cheaper and more flexible. check for more info
canadians also have to register their copyrights. http://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/cipointernet-internetopic.nsf/eng/wr00051.html

these are 2 countries that require registering copyrights while a lot of other countries don't, however, signed artists from those countries, as well as , canada, are encouraged, usually by their ent. lawyers, to register with the us. gov one because they archive the music as part of the process (canada doesn't)

keep in mind, registering is required to bring a case of infringement but it's no guarantee and chances of having things stolen is very slim, chances of affording to bring a case to court will be based on how much as you willing to spend and whether it's worth the trouble.

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 44
^^^ what he said even tho I think now its copyrighted the second you create it.

hanayalator

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 11
Hmmm...interesting question relic. I actually think you can copyright it, even though it contains copyrighted material. I think the hairy part comes into play when you try and make a profit from that song. I know songs are scanned before they're put into the system, but if you can't even tell what the sample is, I'm not sure they could do anything about it.

7thangel

7th Angel of Armageddon
ill o.g.
^^^they don't screen shit.

the problem comes when having to prove it in court. i've seen threads where an artist recreated certain portions of a track that a beatmaker sent that was all samples and never cleared, how could he claim infringement with other peoples work without their permission? and you can't copyright ideas or arrangements.
now if you get something cleared, for samples that end up getting found, you have a new work to register with all parties involved, at least that was what i was told. it's still based on getting permission.

same goes for your beat being turned into a song if placed. a new copyright involving you and the bum singing/rapping/shitting up the track, therefore a new registration that needs to be sent.

@unorthodox, yeah, i was just narrowing down my examples, but it has to still be in a fixed form. if you sing something out loud, never write anything down, record, archive it on tape/hd/etc, etc, then it's just spoken words (maybe it's in the best interest of any artist, even unknowns, who perform live or do a gig/show, to tape it or record it if you're worried about it)

another link for the brits http://www.copyrightservice.co.uk/

members online