Computers

T

ThePryme

I plan on starting to produce using a computer. At this time I have no equipment. Please give me any information on equipment I should get to start producing (i.e. soundcard,programs) I'm already set on getting either the e-mu mo'phatt or the halo. Just wanted to know what kinda sound cards were good and some programs to get me going. Thanks for the help.

vitaminman

IllMuzik Staff
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
Hey,

1. Get a fast computer. Anything over 1ghz should suit you just fine, I used to run sequencers and softsynths on PII 350's a few years ago.

2. Get a good sequencing program. My favorite is Cubase, but there are others out there like Sonar. These two support most of the virtual instrument standards like VSTi and DXi and they have powerful MIDI and audio sequencing cpapbilities.

3. Get a good soundcard with 'professional' low-latency drivers. If you go with Cubase as your program, you'll want ASIO drivers; if you use Sonar, you'll want WDM drivers. I like the M-Audio range of cards because they're affordable and have nice convertors on them.

4. Get a wave editor. My favorite is Cool Edit Pro 2.0, but there are others like Sound Forge, Wavelab and Samplitude, all of them have great editing features and will become one of your best friends on your computer.

5. Get a MIDI interface. If you don't have one, you won't be able to get MIDI in and out of your machine. A lot of soundcards come with MIDI interfaces, if you choose wisely you won't have to worry about it.

6. Get a mixer with XLR mic-preamps. That way, if you have other sources of audio you want to record besides your keyboard, you can plug them into your mixer instead of reaching behind your computer (the mixer should be permanently plugged into the soundcard). I have a Mackie 1402, but there are cheaper ones out there that offer similar functionality...try http://www.behringer.com/

7. Get some nice speaker monitors. A home stereo is good for starters...just make sure that you're not using cheap 'multimedia' speakers.

8. If you're really ambitious, get a dual-head graphics card. A lot of musicians like the cards made by Matrox because they're cheap and they handle 2D graphics well. Then get a second monitor, they're cheap now as well...with sequencers and virtual instruments running, you'll need all the space you can get your hands on.

9. Get a MIDI editor so that you can mess with the sounds on your synths graphically from the computer instead of using the little LCD on the synths...believe me, you will appreciate the power this offers you. I use Sound Diver by Emagic, but as they've been bought by Apple I may have to look elsewhere.

10. Read, read, read! There is TONS of information on the internet explaining how to use this stuff properly and creatively, it is all FREE!!!!

Take care,

Nick

T

ThePryme

thanks buddy... i think my comp will be more than enough. Time to work on some software. as far as sound cards would a high-end creative card do?

vitaminman

IllMuzik Staff
ill o.g.
Hey,

You mean Creative Labs? Like the Live or Audigy?

Nick

vitaminman

IllMuzik Staff
ill o.g.
Hey,

Wow, that was fast....

For cheap cards, the Live is the best value at only $30 online for an OEM version, but there aren't any ASIO drivers for it with the newer operating systems like 2000 or XP.

The Audigy when it was first released was a big turd because the drivers were crap, I think they're ok now. They come with ASIO drivers, I don't know how good they are.

However, if you get more involved with this, you ARE going to want to get a card that has proper low-latency drivers and balanced 1/4" inputs and outputs...you get a cleaner signal path from your gear, better integration with your software, super-low latency for softsynths, and better sonic results.

Granted, nothing replaces good production and engineering techniques.

So, if you do decide to get a Creative Labs card, I would recommend an Audigy.

Nick

T

ThePryme

Ok so what would be a better card with low-latency and such? I got some money to play with so I like doing it right the first time. Oh and by the way you got AIM or anything?

vitaminman

IllMuzik Staff
ill o.g.
Hey,

My two favorites:

http://www.midiman.com/products/m-audio/delta44.php
http://www.echoaudio.com/Products/Mia/index.php

The Delta 44 has a nice breakout box which you can leave sitting on your desktop, as well as 4 ins and outs (there is a 66 version which also has digital SPDIF connections, giving you 6 ins and outs). You will still need a MIDI interface with this card.

The MiaMIDI has 2 ins and outs, as well as a MIDI port and digital SPDIF connection. It also comes with a copy of Cubasis, if it's their VST 3.0 version it's a pretty good one to get you started.

Do you think you'll want to get a card with lots of inputs? Some cards, like my Delta 1010, come with 8 ins and outs, this is good if you want to record a band or live drum kit (or something that requires a lot of microphones).

Both of these companies manufacture professional grade products that stand the test of time and give good results.

But seriously, don't just take my word for it...if you can, shop around or ask someone who has a setup like what you're looking for to see if it will do what you want. There are literally hundreds of cards out there, they should all be looked at.
Take care,

Nick

T

ThePryme

know anything about the Digital Audio CDX-01 Card Deluxe ?

vitaminman

IllMuzik Staff
ill o.g.
Hey,

Digital Audio Labs, for some reason, charges twice what other companies charge for cards of similar specs.

The Card Deluxe you've mentioned runs for about $400-$500...

The Echo Mia, which also sports 4 balanced 1/4" plugs and spdif, is less than $200.

On the DAL site they compare it to an Ensoniq Audio PCI card, which costs about $30 at Wal-Mart...its these kinds of tests which fool people into believing that the card is actually worth $400+!!!

Nick

T

ThePryme

I was just wondering because they sell it at Guitar Center so I could pick it up locally. Guess I'll just find a place that will have one of the other ones.

T

ThePryme

Thanks for your help. What is the difference between balanced and unbalanced input? And also what do you guys think about the Echo and Terratec cards.

M

Millenium

Very Pleased With This board

I like the atmosphere around here! Alot of intel being swapped on here! One thing I would like to know is how can I get my kick drums to sound all nice and P Diddy Ish! I know he's not the best rapper out there, but some of his harder tracks are undeniable! Any feedback would help out a ton! I usually try different things with my Kicks to give them a distinct sound, but I still can't get that ill kick drum out of my mind from "Special Delivery"! Stay Up