Computer Crashed?

eXampuL_oNe

LOW-PRO
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
Alright this is really, really, really fucked up for me! Last night my computer (when I turned it on) froze at the windows loading screen (I use xp pro sp2). I left it for a while to try and see if it would eventually come on. When I went downstairs and came back up my computer was wiggin on me! It was like making a twitching sound (Click, Click, Click).

Now, when I turn my machine on I get nothing. I mean NOTHING! No Dos mode, no load up screen. My monitor won't even power on with the system. None of my disk drives work (meaning open/close).

Funny thing is I don't know what it could be! I don't have internet on that computer and haven't had internet for months! I haven't installed any new programs. No virus threats or anything. It's like my shit is fried or something!

This is the worst possible time too. Me and my boy are exclusivly working on an album and all of my skeletons for the beats we are using are on that hard drive. Is there a way I can withdraw the files I need from that hard drive? Maybe taking it out and taking it to a computer place or someone who knows how to witdraw information?

Any help/ideas would be very helpful and I am thankful for any info, in advance.

GRAFIK

Vinyl Addict
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
damn that sucks homie, i def feel for u! if u have a geek squad near u at a best buy, i would suggest taking it to them and letting them find the problem and see if it can be fixed or not. I wouldnt try fucking with it yourself u might def lose all the info. My comptuer was really fucked up and was fucked up, i took it to them and they fixed it and saved everything. I dont know what else to suggest other than that, good luck i hope u recover your shit man, peace

djrekonize

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
the noise you heard was acutally comming from the pc itself??
if so it could be a fan, it sounds like a cpu fan, i would open it and look and see if all the fans are working

and you should be able to take the hard drive out and put it in another pc, run the one from your current pc as a slave drive, u have to change the jumper on the hdd

one more thing u said it doesnt post and the drives don't open up?
so when u press the power switch do you actually hear anything?? like fans
i have a list of things to try when a pc doesnt post ill see if i can find it

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 123
first thing I would do, open the computer up, unplug the power supply from the motherboard, then turn the power switch on the power supply and see if it (power supply and fan inside)comes on..if that works then plug back in to board, that way you can rule the power supply out as the problem....if it works but you plug it back in and no power then there is a short somewhere on the board or a component connected to it....I would then swap some of my power outputs around to see if the drive spins up at least

djrekonize

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
bigdmakintrax said:
first thing I would do, open the computer up, unplug the power supply from the motherboard, then turn the power switch on the power supply and see if it (power supply and fan inside)comes on..if that works then plug back in to board, that way you can rule the power supply out as the problem....if it works but you plug it back in and no power then there is a short somewhere on the board or a component connected to it....I would then swap some of my power outputs around to see if the drive spins up at least

if you unplug the powersupply from the motherboard it will not work!
the powersupply doesnt start by itself
unplug that switch and plug it back in sometimes the pins get loose

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
if you're working at least take out the drive, install it into another pc and back it the fuck up lol!

To me it sounds like the psu has been fried, check the fuses or in a worse case scenario replace it. You could've had an irregularity through the net ( power net, whatever its called in english ). In such a case you might wanna look for a power conditioner, perhaps with a backup power supply in order to keep your works and computer safe.

eXampuL_oNe

LOW-PRO
ill o.g.
djrekonize said:
one more thing u said it doesnt post and the drives don't open up?
so when u press the power switch do you actually hear anything?? like fans
i have a list of things to try when a pc doesnt post ill see if i can find it

Yeah the fans all come on and all the lights on the boards come on aswell. This shit is crazy. One thing i am starting to lean toward is that I fucked around and demagnitized something. I was vacuming yesterday and got pretty damn close to my PC while it was on.

Formant024 said:
if you're working at least take out the drive, install it into another pc and back it the fuck up lol!

To me it sounds like the psu has been fried, check the fuses or in a worse case scenario replace it. You could've had an irregularity through the net ( power net, whatever its called in english ). In such a case you might wanna look for a power conditioner, perhaps with a backup power supply in order to keep your works and computer safe.

Thanx for the info Form. I think my shit is fried too. I will take out my drive right now.

GRAFIK said:
damn that sucks homie, i def feel for u! if u have a geek squad near u at a best buy, i would suggest taking it to them and letting them find the problem and see if it can be fixed or not. I wouldnt try fucking with it yourself u might def lose all the info. My comptuer was really fucked up and was fucked up, i took it to them and they fixed it and saved everything. I dont know what else to suggest other than that, good luck i hope u recover your shit man, peace

How much does Geek Squad tax for something like that though? I just don't want to have some guy come over and try to fix something I could have did and then end up payin him like 50 bucks or somethin, lol... U know what I mean? I appreciate the feedback though yall, keep it coming. I have never had this happen so it's buggin me.

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
djrekonize said:
if you unplug the powersupply from the motherboard it will not work!
the powersupply doesnt start by itself
unplug that switch and plug it back in sometimes the pins get loose
listen to the wisdom, I cant keep elaborating on what i do but a power supply will power up unplugged from the motherboard, I want him to unplug the outputs that plug into the mother board, if there is a short circuit on the motherboard it will cause the power supply not to come on or the circuit will trip......if that test of unplugging it from the motherboard works then you can take it out of the equation if it runs but was not running at first.....There is a power circuit to the power supply which is AC.....once it gets to the circuitry it becomes DC to power the board....that plug end is what he needs to disconnect but keep the wall ac power plugged into the power supply.....follow me????

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
^^^^cant you draw a picture of it

jz kiddin, anyhow, I'd unplug it from the power outlet and turn the power on so the capacitors can unload, then start going to work and open it up.

djrekonize

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
bigdmakintrax said:
listen to the wisdom, I cant keep elaborating on what i do but a power supply will power up unplugged from the motherboard, I want him to unplug the outputs that plug into the mother board, if there is a short circuit on the motherboard it will cause the power supply not to come on or the circuit will trip......if that test of unplugging it from the motherboard works then you can take it out of the equation if it runs but was not running at first.....There is a power circuit to the power supply which is AC.....once it gets to the circuitry it becomes DC to power the board....that plug end is what he needs to disconnect but keep the wall ac power plugged into the power supply.....follow me????

a power supply will not power up if you disconnect it from the mother board
i have no idea where you got that idea from

"As you know, the ATX power supply will not turn on normally without a motherboard connected to it."

http://www.bluemax.net/techtips/ATXPowerSupplyWiring/ATXPowerSupplyWiring.htm

you can test a powersuplly by using this method

http://modtown.co.uk/mt/article2.php?id=psumod

when i build new pc's and they dont boot i use this:

1. Make sure everything is plugged in correctly and the power supply switch is on.
2. Make sure all the hardware is seated properly.
3. Check for Beep Codes.
4. Disconnect all non-essential components.
5. Reset CMOS.
6. Check to see that there is a fan plugged into CPU Fan Header.
7. Test the “on” switch.
8. Make sure standoffs are not shorting out the motherboard.
9. Make sure the heatsink is contacting the core correctly.
10. Swap out parts and test for what is causing the problem.

what are the specs on ur pc?
their is a square 4 pin connector that runs in newer pc's that might have gotten loose, it goes from the powersupply to the mother board

bigdmakintrax

BeatKreatoR
ill o.g.
you are half right, in some cases the fan will come on in ATX, also AT test unplugged the power supply will come on and the fan will run, I have degree in this shizznit and I know all about ohm meters and multimeters and George simon ohm and oscilloscopes LOL trust me...I just offered a simple test to see if there is any response from the power supply at all unplugged, I dont have to quote anything off the net I know this from doing it also LOL

Tajasmark

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
eXampuL_oNe said:
Alright this is really, really, really fucked up for me! Last night my computer (when I turned it on) froze at the windows loading screen (I use xp pro sp2). I left it for a while to try and see if it would eventually come on. When I went downstairs and came back up my computer was wiggin on me! It was like making a twitching sound (Click, Click, Click).

Now, when I turn my machine on I get nothing. I mean NOTHING! No Dos mode, no load up screen. My monitor won't even power on with the system. None of my disk drives work (meaning open/close).

Funny thing is I don't know what it could be! I don't have internet on that computer and haven't had internet for months! I haven't installed any new programs. No virus threats or anything. It's like my shit is fried or something!

This is the worst possible time too. Me and my boy are exclusivly working on an album and all of my skeletons for the beats we are using are on that hard drive. Is there a way I can withdraw the files I need from that hard drive? Maybe taking it out and taking it to a computer place or someone who knows how to witdraw information?

Any help/ideas would be very helpful and I am thankful for any info, in advance.

From what it sounds like eXampuL you may had a power surge or a brown out, but you said you heard a clicking noise and that maybe damage to the hard drive. But without being there I can’t be 100% sure. You could take the hard drive out and set the pin on the back to slave and hook it up a friend’s computer to see if all of your data is intact.

O

open mind

there are lots of possibility fixing this prob u have but here is the fastes and easiest.without even knowing whots the real problem or cause of all this mess

here we go.

1. open your fuckin pc case.
2. take your hard drive out.
3. instal the taken harddrive to another pc from homie or wuteva
4. copy needed files to anohter hardrive
5. format YOUR harddrive after files been copyied.
6. instal hard drive back to YOUR pc
7. install Windows
8. GOOD LUCK!!!!!

recommended new hard drive if old is FUKKED is SEAGATE.they are really save and used a lot in bussines pc cause of there security and long live.i think they also have 5 YEAR guarantee.

Sanova

Guess Who's Back
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 9
just dont fuck with it for one whole day. then kick it a few times.

if that doesnt work, then ur screwed.

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
When was the last time you dusted inside the box?
I think I waited three years before I did and it was at the point that the hardrives would have died,
I got to it in the nick of time. So as a note here everybody take this weekend to defrag and dust out that PC.
When I opened up mine you couldnt even see thru the fan...uuggghh

trez260

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
i had a similiar problem but mine was related to a virus. i'd try installing your hard drive in another PC and see if it will respond appropriately. not sure how to go about testing your power supply,i'd try to avoid Geek Squad because they will rape you blind, especially if you have them come to your crib. definitely keep us posted on your results yo. peace.

eXampuL_oNe

LOW-PRO
ill o.g.
Well, I tried my best to find the solution but my amatuer computer repair skills did not work, lol.. So, unfortunatly I have to call on Fuckin Geek Squad or take it to a computer repair place and get robbed! Everyone I have had come take a look at it so far was like "I don't know man!?" It's my last option and I don't have the time to play Macguyver, lol..

members online