compression.hardware or software

T

The Bastard

i dont know if this has been asked be4. but i was wonderin what would be better. using a hardware compressor to compress signal before it gets to yur pc. or to record it regular and add compression in a software program. this question is for recording vocals

NobleWordz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 4
If you compress it before it goes into the PC your stuck with it, if you find you have not got the right sound you have to re record it. But if you use software you have the ability and freedom to change the settings at any point.

I can recommend the The SSL 4000 Collection, the compression is just about the best you can get without hardware.

~NW~

thedreampolice

A backwards poet writes inverse.
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 21
I like the URS plugins better. At some point you need you a decision about how something sounds and commit to it. People spend to much time tweaking, learn how to use a compressor properly (this can take years) then commit to it. production is all about making decisions.

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
I'd say dbx 166xl for punchy stuff, its a comp/lim/gate and sound sweet on a drumtrack or a compounder which is somewhat more subtle ( and has a huge bassexpander knob ).

DrOscillator

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
whats the difference in sound between all the different hardware and software compressors? is it really noticable to the average listener or just nitpicky. like, will there be a huge difference between the sound of the reason masterclass compressor and the waves c1 compessor?

Sanova

Guess Who's Back
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 9
I'mma have to co-sign with the Waves -SSL4000

Especially since "Grammy award winning 'mixer' Chris Lord-Algen"'s presets are available for it. He uses the actual SSL tables and says: “I literally copied my settings off the desk for the Waves bundle, and when it came back it was incredible how exactly it matched what I do,” explains Lord-Alge.

members online