chords or melodies for track lead?

nospe

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
When making a beat do you build it around chords or melodies? And when you make a melody do you use the same note for any other melodies on the beat and climb the same scale? (ex.if one melody is played in c minor, every melody is in c minor)?

skidflow

Boom Bap is precious art
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 216
when I make my own melodies I do like to build around it because I think its easier than building up around the drums. If I start a melody off in c minor I might change up the the last couple of notes just to give it a true melody. Then on the next bar I might drop the whole melody down to a d minor just to give the melody a whole different mood.

nospe

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
skidflow said:
when I make my own melodies I do like to build around it because I think its easier than building up around the drums. If I start a melody off in c minor I might change up the the last couple of notes just to give it a true melody. Then on the next bar I might drop the whole melody down to a d minor just to give the melody a whole different mood.

dont the notes all have to co-exist on the same scale?

MdL

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
There's no hard and fast rules, but usually you want to try to keep them within the same scale. Unfortunately I'm not a pianist (I wish i had kept taking lessons) however, I have a good enough ear that I can find my own chords and scales. So basically to find a scale (at least how I do it) work your way up the keyboard (randomly) and first and find what works and what doesn't you'll know when something gets off. Or you could go to a site like chordhouse or whatever.

Kohlmon

ill o.g.
yeah i can do either. if i hear a melody thats hot then im gonna go ahead and build off that while staying in the same scale and then when im done with that i move it up and down into other scales... but if i make some chords i like then im gonna try and figure where i want it's tone to be and work on puttin a melody on top. just keep messin with it till somethin works

members online