Chopping up samples

E

evolveone

peace

i am still trying to learn the best way to flip samples....i'm usually a loop based type of dood...so i was wondering when you are chopping up the loop what parts do you look for to slice? not sure if i am explaining this right...but i think if someone would be willing to remix a beat that I did using chops...i could get a better understanding...i have chopped up some loops a couple of times but it just basically was still a shorter version of the original loop..

Producer_GyaL

IllMuzik First Lady
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 182
If I were you, I would definately check out the flipping thread in the showcase.. each week, Graffik and company submit songs to flip.. to start with, You can learn by "listening". THen you'll see how everyone chopped their own samples and how they flipped it. Good exercice. Check out sample flip # 7, lot of good work up there.

https://www.illmuzik.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=11

Vince

2Cool2BeAHebrew
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
if you loop, chop the loop up into beats, 1/2th beats, 1/4 beats etc, and rearrange it.

GRAFIK

Vinyl Addict
ill o.g.
its all about listening, you have to be patient when listening to samples, because you can find pieces in practically any song you want to sample. i use to rush through my samples when i started out sampling and i missed tons of good samples, so i have gone back through those records and have made some pretty dope beats from them. So basically when u are listening, always have hip hop in mind, and shit that sounds tight, and just take those pieces and play with them in a midi controller, and you will be on your way!

MarkN

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 55
what are you using ? the best equipment for chopping i find is the MPC as you get the zone feature which makes it so easy to do, but you an use anything, just chop your loop into smaller pieces and try things out ! remember when you are using small bits anyway you dnt have to use a loop you can just take 8 different parts from anywhere in the track and come up with sumthing new !

m.s

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
man!!!sampling is an art..it took me years to even touch the art.. but just know that when u listen to a song, and u wanna sample a certain portion of it.. its all in DA EARS.. u gots to have the good ears.. imagination,, creativity,, it takes alot of practice.. the mpc is the best tool..but u can use alot other shit to chopp with... like p-gal said check the showcase to when samples are posted and listen to how the shit is flipped many ways.. 1

slik da relic

RS Jedi
ill o.g.
u can chop with all types of machines... then u can shorten the chops. u can add delay/reverb/distortion on one chop... then u can reverse another chop... then u can speed up another chop... then u can.... and so on... and so on... and so on....

u get the picture? that shit is fun as hell once ur good at it... then u mite never loop again. well maybe not as much.

da relic

J Cro

Hulkamaniac
ill o.g.
Good example here, check this out...

Earlier today I'm going through my records and talking to my boy and we are joking around about people who try to flip every sample on earth even if it comes out like ass. So I say, I'ma flip the first song on the next record I pick out no matter what it is, because I can flip anything etc. I pull out this old crusty ass record and I play it.

The shit sounds like something out of old cartoons. Picture granny sitting in her chair putting on a record while tweety chills in the cage. It was that kinda shit. I thought to myself "Oh god this song is wack as hell" I cut out the first few bars. Cut it up into a bunch of hits in Recycle.

What do ya know. It actually came out half decent.

Soooooo.. My advice is to just fuck around. Sometimes you hear a sample and know what to do. Sometimes you just need to mess with it and it all falls into place.

LonChainy

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
and remember this...your chops dont always have to be precise...i use software i.e. Recycle...but "in the day" the MPC 60, SP 12 could not chop with percision, cuz it had no REAL visual...but that was a plus. Cuz those ghost notes can be magic. A ghost note is a very small piece of audio i.e. a bleed over note that carried over from one chop to another, a small reverb tail, a low velocitized hi hat...any number of things.

But to me the magic in sampling is how you replay...just about anybody can chop the peaks, but..you dont always wanna hit your pads or keys to the metronome...play around the metronome.....hope this makes some since

Greg Savage

Ehh Fuck you
ill o.g.
LonChainy said:
and remember this...your chops dont always have to be precise...i use software i.e. Recycle...but "in the day" the MPC 60, SP 12 could not chop with percision, cuz it had no REAL visual...but that was a plus. Cuz those ghost notes can be magic. A ghost note is a very small piece of audio i.e. a bleed over note that carried over from one chop to another, a small reverb tail, a low velocitized hi hat...any number of things.

^Exactly!, try chopping your sound by ear don't zoom in and get it perfect. Thats actually (well to me)what sucks about software people try to get way to perfect with it.

GRAFIK

Vinyl Addict
ill o.g.
J Cro said:
Good example here, check this out...

Earlier today I'm going through my records and talking to my boy and we are joking around about people who try to flip every sample on earth even if it comes out like ass. So I say, I'ma flip the first song on the next record I pick out no matter what it is, because I can flip anything etc. I pull out this old crusty ass record and I play it.

The shit sounds like something out of old cartoons. Picture granny sitting in her chair putting on a record while tweety chills in the cage. It was that kinda shit. I thought to myself "Oh god this song is wack as hell" I cut out the first few bars. Cut it up into a bunch of hits in Recycle.

What do ya know. It actually came out half decent.

Soooooo.. My advice is to just fuck around. Sometimes you hear a sample and know what to do. Sometimes you just need to mess with it and it all falls into place.

u will be suprised at what u come up with when u are forced to make a beat from a certain sample, some of the wackest records i have, i have made decent tracks out ot, so the sample doesnt allways to have to place, its listening and finding those certain spots, is what makes u good a chopping in my opinion

J Cro

Hulkamaniac
ill o.g.
GRAFIK said:
u will be suprised at what u come up with when u are forced to make a beat from a certain sample, some of the wackest records i have, i have made decent tracks out ot, so the sample doesnt allways to have to place, its listening and finding those certain spots, is what makes u good a chopping in my opinion

True, but sometimes some samples just dont work for you. That time it worked for me. If it came out like ass I woulda scrapped it. We were clowning on people who would rep a wack beat just to say they flipped such n such sample.

slik da relic

RS Jedi
ill o.g.
i havent found too many songs that i couldnt make into a beat. when i had the S950, i was more of a sample loop person. i didnt get into slicing as much. alot of songs got put to the side bcuz i couldnt get nothin out of them. i was more pitch bending the sound, and shaving off start/end points. but once i bought the RS7000, i can chop the beat as thick or as thin as i want at ease, without extra equipment to hook up. now i can go through ANY record, cd, etc.. and get a beat out of it. when ur stuck, u can usually just come back to it later and either work on what u previously had, or find new pieces in the song to chop up. works every time. no record stumps me now. ive chopped my own shit up, as well as cds found at open mics.... im the best! FUCK SAMPLE CLEARIN, nothins safe wit me...hehe

da relic

Holly Scott

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
LonChainy said:

But to me the magic in sampling is how you replay...just about anybody can chop the peaks, but..you dont always wanna hit your pads or keys to the metronome...play around the metronome.....hope this makes some since

too true. sometimes you dont realize the potential of a sound until youmake a mistake, ... the rule gotta be chop, slice, blaze, and just fuck about

sundayz

ill o.g.
Somtimes, I just put some pre cut samples in my beats... That's where cool edit comes in. Then the whole shitload into kontakt vst and just banging on my midi keyboard checking what's gonna be. Kinda like working with a asr 10

JPeg

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
good post, another obvious thing to do is play with the pitch control on ur turntable as u listen to the sample and keep running it back @ different pitches cos that might give u a different idea of how 2 use a sample.

Knox Raw

SCLASS- JUSTPLAINOLEDON
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
My best advice is find a key instrument in the track you are sampling and carry through with it i.e. Bassline,Strings,Horns, and even Vocals. Alot of people try to chop around vocals but, I take it with the sample. A unique voice can be used just like a kick, snare or hihat. You just gotta know when and where to place it. It's like "Icing on a Cake" persay.

members online