chopping samples in live ?

thedon98

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
can somebody please help me i've just started using live but i don't know how to manually chop up samples and assign them to different pads help please !

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 73
There is no better chopper on Gods green earth than Ableton Live 7! Why you guys purchase or "freeload" software and don't do your homework on it is beyond me!!!!!

HINT: WARP, WARP MARKERS AND SLICE TO NEW MIDI.

Chopping samples is extremely easy in Ableton. But the true beauty is how many ways you can manipulate the samples once you chop/slice them to new midi. NOTHING GIVES YOU THE POSSIBILITIES OF REALLY GETTING SURGICAL WITH YOUR SAMPLES AS ABLETON.

Agent Smith

IllMuzik Junkie
ill o.g.
cosign with the chopping ease...slice to new midi is genious. just drag the audio clip into a clip section, right click, slice to new midi, pick the time signature and resolution, then chop. once you do this the sample will be laid out on a new drum rack. the drum rack is your best friend----you can put anything you want on those pads.

i usually dont even slice to new midi...i just open a drum rack and manually throw the same song on each pad and then adjust the start point of each to get just what i want. live is really the shit homie.

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
do u live users think its worth it to get the "suite" with the extra instruments???

Nope! But get the drums......I actually have them if you need 'em

cosign with the chopping ease...slice to new midi is genious. just drag the audio clip into a clip section, right click, slice to new midi, pick the time signature and resolution, then chop. once you do this the sample will be laid out on a new drum rack. the drum rack is your best friend----you can put anything you want on those pads.

i usually dont even slice to new midi...i just open a drum rack and manually throw the same song on each pad and then adjust the start point of each to get just what i want. live is really the shit homie.

10-4 on that.

spartan265

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
i know this is an old thread but question:
with the new 'slice to midi' feature, why does it not keep my warping?.. like ill warp the audio track and then when i slide to midi the audio sample reverts to its origional state. wtf?..how do i sort that out?

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
i know this is an old thread but question:
with the new 'slice to midi' feature, why does it not keep my warping?.. like ill warp the audio track and then when i slide to midi the audio sample reverts to its origional state. wtf?..how do i sort that out?

It doesn't work like that. What you need to do is create an audio track, route the out put of the track you sliced to midi into the newly created track and record it. It will then have the warp'd tempo and you can re-slice to midi from there if you want to use the chops.

Once you slice to midi it's no longer in wav or aiff form. You can't timestretch midi notes! Just record what you did into another audio track. That way you're converting back to wav and chop it up again if you like. It'll already be at the tempo you want it that way.