chopped & screwed with reason

inflict3

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
hi, i just started making dirty south beats, before this i was writing drum & bass,., i love chopped and screwed,, does anyone have any advice on making chopped and screwed beats with reason? like tempos, where to get the vocals from, what to do with the vocals, and what device works best, ect, ect,., any info is great,thanks

The best tool for using chops is NNXT. I would recommend doing the chops in a auidio editor like Soundforge and then opening them in an NNXT. The NNXT is a beast, once you learn how to use that then its gravy.
You cant use full length acapellas in reason. I normally run reason as a slave to something like Ableton live/Acid Pro/Cubase/Pro tools which can handle full length audio files much better.

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 73
ah ha ha ha ha ha ha.....Man look......what he's referring to is not the way you chop 2good. "chopped & screwed" is a dirty south Houston Texas technique created by DJ Screw. This is accomplished by slowing the tempo and applying techniques such as skipping beats, record scratching, stop-time, and effecting portions of the music to make a "chopped-up" version of the original.

INFLICT3,

I've been using Reason for years. There is now way to actually apply this technique with Reason's other than creating the actual beat and then exporting it to another program to screw it. Then you can use Recycle to chop up the beat, import it back into Reason, drop it in the NNXT and rearrange it.

I do "screwing" with Nero's wave editor. They have a feature where you can change the pitch but keep the length which in my opinion gives you the best "authentic" result. That's where u get the down pitched slowed down effect for the music and vocals. Also know that the original way of chopping and screwing was done with turntables not software though it's much easier with software.

Find you a nice source of dirty south acapellas, create a beat 74bpm's or less, google "dj scew" so you can study the technique, buy or find Nero wave editor, go to effects chose "pitch bend", put a check mark in "keep the length and experiment. The technique is not hard at all if you have the right software and mind set (dirty south that is)

ah ha ha ha ha ha ha.....Man look......what he's referring to is not the way you chop 2good. "chopped & screwed" is a dirty south Houston Texas technique created by DJ Screw. This is accomplished by slowing the tempo and applying techniques such as skipping beats, record scratching, stop-time, and effecting portions of the music to make a "chopped-up" version of the original.

INFLICT3,

I've been using Reason for years. There is now way to actually apply this technique with Reason's other than creating the actual beat and then exporting it to another program to screw it. Then you can use Recycle to chop up the beat, import it back into Reason, drop it in the NNXT and rearrange it.

I do "screwing" with Nero's wave editor. They have a feature where you can change the pitch but keep the length which in my opinion gives you the best "authentic" result. That's where u get the down pitched slowed down effect for the music and vocals. Also know that the original way of chopping and screwing was done with turntables not software though it's much easier with software.

Find you a nice source of dirty south acapellas, create a beat 74bpm's or less, google "dj scew" so you can study the technique, buy or find Nero wave editor, go to effects chose "pitch bend", put a check mark in "keep the length and experiment. The technique is not hard at all if you have the right software and mind set (dirty south that is)

Damn, I didnt know you could do that with Nero wave editor, thats phat.

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 73
Damn, I didnt know you could do that with Nero wave editor, thats phat.

I actually stumbled upon that effect in Nero Wave Editor a few years back. I had be doing it the hard way before that. I've had people that "screw" music for a living ask me what I use because of the cleaner, clearer results I get. The pitch wheel vst plugin that everybody is flocking to in order to pitch shift can't even touch wave editor results.

inflict3

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
thanks alot guys,., lil drama, where is a good place to find dirty south acapellas?,., is there any free sites?