Check Your Work!

Arc.I.Tect

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Ok, I know this is an obvious thing to do. But I happened to get lazy last nigh tand am using my own experience to try and send a message to all the rest of you. Now I am relatively new to producing (almost 4 months) and had not really made anything I would remember. After saying this I was sitting there around 12 AM this morning and decided to practice some more. I get my samples together, put some piano's down, the bass, horns, all that cool stuff. I got some speaking samples and also put those on my chorus. Now, I am using the FL Studio Demo so I couldn't save but I was OK with that because I prefer to put the whole beat together in one sitting then come back for effects. So, after I'm done with the beat I listen to it and I'm just like "Damn, I really like this piece." So at around 2:40 AM I export it in Wave Form so I can get some sleep then come back today to finish up with all the effects. I finally get back on at 2:45 PM and import the piece to finish it up. I look at it, and it looks like I had told it to generate a tone. I play it and it's all static filled, everythings distorted the speaking samples are destroyed. Basically, the beat I was so proud of 12 hours before....was now trash and lost. I had screenshots of the order the pieces were played, but I didn't take shots of the actual channels. So now, what I considered my best beat made to date - is horrible.

Moral Of The Story For The Rest Of You: Save your stuff and check your exports to make sure it sounds right.

I know we all already knew that, but I had to rant about losing that beat.

andreas

Iller Than Most
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 3
Man get that full prog NOW!

One sitting? I need atleast 30 - 40 hours to make the beat complete. Composition, Effects, Mix. Those things are really timeconsuming.

Get that full prog and there will be no prob when you wanan go back and re-mix the track for vocals or whatever.

peace man

Arc.I.Tect

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Yah I know after that I really need to go get the full thing. And I don't mean effects and all that for it I just sit down for one sitting to g et my sounds together and all that then go back later and add in effects. But yah I came back to it toda and I was just like "no....no, no, no you've got to be kidding me!" I'm definitely going to get the full program.

andreas

Iller Than Most
ill o.g.
Have happened to me to. Made a beat one night and it was myseriously gone in the morning. And it's inpossible to recreate the same way.
But I redid it wit ha satisfactional outcome. Just dreary work rebuilding... huh.

Good luck man :D

Arc.I.Tect

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
andreas said:
Have happened to me to. Made a beat one night and it was myseriously gone in the morning. And it's inpossible to recreate the same way.
But I redid it wit ha satisfactional outcome. Just dreary work rebuilding... huh.

Good luck man :D

Yah I ain't even attempted to recreate it yet. I probably won't, just try to get the same vibe back ya know but yah that just killed me for a minute.

andreas

Iller Than Most
ill o.g.
Don't I know it. It more then just time spent. Its sould invested... I know all about it

RigorMortis

Army Of Darkness
ill o.g.
andreas said:
Man get that full prog NOW!

One sitting? I need atleast 30 - 40 hours to make the beat complete. Composition, Effects, Mix. Those things are really timeconsuming.

Get that full prog and there will be no prob when you wanan go back and re-mix the track for vocals or whatever.

peace man

30-40 hours.. wtf...

andreas

Iller Than Most
ill o.g.
Well.. In a studio, the time for just mixing one track can be up to 30 - 40 hours if taken the time. But atleast like 8 - 10 hours per song just mixing.
Just smacking the track together and calling it done isn't a parameter in my beatmaking process. I'm to anal..

woohff

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
andreas said:
Well.. In a studio, the time for just mixing one track can be up to 30 - 40 hours if taken the time. But atleast like 8 - 10 hours per song just mixing.
Just smacking the track together and calling it done isn't a parameter in my beatmaking process. I'm to anal..
You're crazy! =) It takes 15-30 minutes to get the concept together. Then its just addin' some little things... I'm quite wack mixing my beats so usually the final mix is done at the studio by other person.

andreas

Iller Than Most
ill o.g.
yeah, and I'm talking about that person. I know a fella from my town that has had a studio for 13 years and is working with different ascts from all over the world. Pop mainly, and he's taking atleast that time in the MIX, the composition part I don't even wanna think about.

I work as you yourself say. I get the concept together, takes and hour or 2. But that's not the end of the line. There's alot of lil knob tweeking and fiddling with minor datails that makes all the differens in the end outcome.

i rather take too much time on a beat then too little :D

Arc.I.Tect

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Yah when I said one sitting I'm not talking about any tweaking or changes up in it. When I mean one sitting I mean getting my concept, what kind of vibe I'm feeling, collecting the sounds, getting em to work with the beat so I just get the rough pattern the sounds will go in. Then I go do something else so I don't get tunnel vision on my project but write down anything and everything I may want to think about later. Then whenever I get back to it I may fix it up, siwtch up some of the sounds, add effects, mix, etc.

That's probably not the most efficient way if I'm trying to make a number of them but I ain't sellin to nobody yet I'm still learning. I mean after like 3 or 4 months of just throwin sounds on I just recently made something that sounded like it just might go with the drums and be a track lol. So yah I just kinda let whatever go then will come back and see wasup with it. Most of this is just trial and error whenever I have time and try and see what works.

andreas

Iller Than Most
ill o.g.
alright, whatever works for you. To each his own :D

I find that If I work on several projects at the same time I'm not as effective as if I'm only workign with one at a time.
That works best for me.

Arc.I.Tect

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Yah I can only work on one beat at a time too. The one I'm doing right now is the longest I've been working on it for days and really I've just been thinking of how i want stuff tos ound.