Can I sample from Turntables without a Phono Preamp?

DrOscillator

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I just got a Numark TT-200 Turntable for Christmas, with the intent of using it to sample some old records I had laying around and to mess around with scratching. Much to my chagrin, I found that apparently I need a "Phono Preamp" to connect the Turntable to the line-in on my M-Audio Firewire Solo. I did some research and found that this amp is needed because the signal from records has a heavy bass cut and treble boost (the RIAA EQ Curve), and the phono preamp corrects this and returns it to a flat EQ. My question is this- is it possible to achieve the same results using my own Waves EQ and Compressor? In other words, can I use EQ and Compression to mimic in software what the phono pre-amp would be doing, with good sounding results? I'm only asking because I'd have to order the pre-amp online and wait another week before I could finally play with my turntable, and I don't feel like waiting that long (or spending more money)!

Chrono

polyphonically beyond me
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 5
I have a Numark TT1650 with a Firewire 410 and use a BBE FJB-200X Phono preamp. I think before I bought this I had to raise the levels.. hmm im not sure I think I tried to jack around with it till I finally bought a preamp. But yes, my suggestion is to buy one. Shop Around and Good Luck.

-ct

Rackoon

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
I would go with the mixer too,....I did the mistake of buying a dedicated nice consumer level phono preamp thinking it would boost my signal...but it didnt..
The connections were unbalanced and not suitable for my rig.....what a waste..

My vestax mixer does the job...but I wouldn't mind having a better sounding mixer with better EQ.
(Allen & Heath)

Hope this helps

Rackoon

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
^^^ Really? I have no issues with my Dedicated Phono i use the BB

Well it's not that I had issues with it ,its more like it didn't made sense to keep that device in my signal chain because it didn't bring any gain or definition in my sample recordings....

BTW I had a Cambride Audio540P..

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
You could spend the money and by a product called "Scratch Live"

Basically hooks your turns up to a module that has a USB cord which connects to your computer....

Pretty cool, actually....

OOOR you could get one of those USB turntables....they usually come with recording software. If you plan on using it to cut....get the direct drive version....It's about $600 new.

Shonsteez

Gurpologist
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 33
Word, I came into the same exact problems initially when I copped my MPC a couple years back. My samples all sounded thin and lacked a lot of bass information.
Like NNXT, I just copped an inexpensive phono pre dedicated to that specific problem and it works great for me.
I copped the ART DJPre II. It actually has more gain then I even need usually. The only factor that makes me have to crank up the gain on occasion is when the pressing of a particular record sucks balls. Think I only spent like 40-50 bucks max.