Buying a new sound card: WILL I REALLY HEAR A MAJOR difference?

Shwaz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Audiophile 2496

This card has gotten good reviews lately, and the fact that it now works with pro-tools makes it even more valuable. However, I don't understand how you are supposed to monitor with it. It has a single set of rca's for outputs. Where do you plug in your headphones? Some of the best engineers in the world monitor on computer speakers because that’s probably what people will be listening to the music on. No 1/8 input at all. Maybe people don't see this as much of a problem since the whole point is to up the sound quality, but i think you should still be able to have a solid sound card to record on and have options for monitoring.

Sin:Aesthetic

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
if you can find me one great engineer in this world that is monitoring on computer speakers i will resign from hip hop forever..........and there are outputs on the card so monitor through your mixers headphone jack or something simple like that

Shwaz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Sin:Aesthetic said:
if you can find me one great engineer in this world that is monitoring on computer speakers i will resign from hip hop forever..........and there are outputs on the card so monitor through your mixers headphone jack or something simple like that

Interview with Bob Clearmountain in Mix magazine http://mixonline.com/recording/interviews/audio_bob_clearmountain/

For your studio monitors, I see KRK E8s with a subwoofer, Yamaha NS-10M Studios and what are those little Apple speakers?

My favorite speakers. Unfortunately, Apple stopped making them years ago. They're much better than Auratones; they're not all midrange-y, and they have a nice, punchy bottom end.

Hip hop will miss you.

for info from a Sound on Sound interview
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jun99/articles/bobclear.htm

He also employs a pair of compact Apple computer speakers. "Those are actually my favourites! I have them placed right next to each other at the side of the room on top of a rack. I don't like speakers that are too hi-fi for mixing, because if the speaker makes everything sound good, you don't work as hard and then the mix is not going to sound very good when you play it back on a lesser speaker. I want something that makes me work hard. I like to switch speakers a lot, as well. The little ones, believe it or not, are actually really good for judging things like bass and bass drum level. If I can't hear those on the little Apple speakers, then I know I've got to re-EQ or change something in the track. They're also good for setting vocal levels. There's just no hype with the little ones - they're so close together that everything is almost mono, and I get a really clear perspective of how the overall thing sounds. Of course, they don't make them any more. Anything that's good, they always stop making it.

Sin:Aesthetic

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
for fucks sake, he still has krks and yamahas in the studio.....thats some alright monitoring in the studio anyways...every good engineer cross references on different speakers thats fucking obvious.....its not the only thing he is monitoring on

Qwerty

Sshsh-Straight fiya!
ill o.g.
Sin:Aesthetic said:
for fucks sake, he still has krks and yamahas in the studio.....thats some alright monitoring in the studio anyways...every good engineer cross references on different speakers thats fucking obvious.....its not the only thing he is monitoring on

I have to go with you on this one, cuz I read from an engineer article on mixing/mastering, that you always got to mix on a headphone and speaker, cuz sometim it sounds different on your speaker.

Alright, so you tell me it is better to buy an M-audio Audiophile 2496, then the Proteus X Desktop Sound Module? Some guy is selling a NEW MIDIMAN / M-Audio AUDIOPHILE 2496 US $99.00. Some guy on ebay is selling an E-MU Proteus X Desktop Sound Module, *BRAND NEW IN BOX* for just US $105.99. So is it better to go with the E-mu because the price is almost the same and comes with 2gb of sounds??

Or shoud I go with the m-audio cuz the latency is better? But I got some m-audio drivers on my pc and with Reason there is no latency..

DAMN it I'm so confuseeddd!

50 cal

King of the West
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 1
Qwerty said:
I have to go with you on this one, cuz I read from an engineer article on mixing/mastering, that you always got to mix on a headphone and speaker, cuz sometim it sounds different on your speaker.

Alright, so you tell me it is better to buy an M-audio Audiophile 2496, then the Proteus X Desktop Sound Module? Some guy on ebay is selling an E-MU Proteus X Desktop Sound Module, *BRAND NEW IN BOX* for just US $105.99. So is it better to go with the E-mu because the price is lower? (yes, you are right I'm bending more over the proteus cuz it comes with sounds? but you guyz said the latency sucks...I'M CONFUSED!!)

I would get the m-audio, If you could i would suggest that you give another 100 and get this http://m-audio.com/products/en_us/FireWireSolo-main.html it says 250 but it's really 200. oh yeah it's also combatible with pro tools

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Hey Qwerty, if you decide to ge the 2496, check out Archambeault (the main one at St-Catherine and Berri) - I think they have it for around $125.

Qwerty

Sshsh-Straight fiya!
ill o.g.
Thank you 50 cal, but I'm low on money...

Fade said:
Hey Qwerty, if you decide to ge the 2496, check out Archambeault (the main one at St-Catherine and Berri) - I think they have it for around $125.

Oh i see that you know my town..BETTER than me loll. I just called and they sell it for 127 CAN. I'll go for that one I guess. THANK everyone! I learn a lot about soundcards!

Qwerty

Sshsh-Straight fiya!
ill o.g.
I'm going to buy the Audiophile 2496, it is not 5.1 right? but is it a big deal if I only use 2 speaker?