Buying A Bass

• beat this! voting starts in...

2nd_Man

The 2nd Generation Of Man
ill o.g.
sup guys
thinking of buying an electric bass, and learnin to play, and usin on my beats
ive had no prior experience whatsoever
do u think it would b a wise move to pick up a really cheap bass (like $100), just to learn on, or will i jus get really poor sound quality if i do this?
thanks in advance

God

Creator of the Universe
ill o.g.
If you get a cheapass bass at least get something shitty-decent like a Squier.

Make sure that the intonation is right - when you buy it, make sure the open strings are producing the same notes when you play it an octave higher (on the same string but on the 12th fret.)

If you have a properly intonated bass, you shouldn't have any problems in recording good bass, since plug-ins, EQ's, Maxxbass, can be used to make your bass guitar line sound good.

Just make sure you also don't have any problems with the pickups, that they sound "clean" and there's no grounding problems with them (like hearing a background sound, etc.

You should be able to plug directly into your mixer - so you don't have to buy an amp.

Try to see if you can get something used that's of better quality - but for 100 bucks, you will get what you pay for.

Guevara

BETTER THAN YESTERDAY
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 34
i just sold an ibanez 4 string for $50 cuz i was so desperate for the bread and i had to go to my sister graduation. i definately woulda helped u out. good luck though.

beaglin

Beatmaker
ill o.g.
good investment..learn to play ..that way you can do it yourself and won't have to hire anyone..maybe play on someone else's session

2nd_Man

ill o.g.
If you get a cheapass bass at least get something shitty-decent like a Squier.

Make sure that the intonation is right - when you buy it, make sure the open strings are producing the same notes when you play it an octave higher (on the same string but on the 12th fret.)

im not sure if i quite follow here. Surely if the bass is strung right, the 12th fret will play the octave of the note. or does this problem occur when the strings arent tuned right? sorry, i dont really follow here.

You should be able to plug directly into your mixer - so you don't have to buy an amp.
i dont have a mixer. i have one line in on my computer, would this be a problem.

Try to see if you can get something used that's of better quality - but for 100 bucks, you will get what you pay for.
yeah used was what i was going to go for

thanks for help, appreciate it

ahh, Guevara, appreciate that you lookin out. talk about wrong timing, lol

2nd_Man

ill o.g.
Just to let you know, I've decided not to get a cheap bass for the time being
Going to give it some time, wait to get some money. i got an acoustic guitar laying around that Ive never really picked up, so gonna start learning that
thanks for your input and help every1