Busta Rhymes Cousin Rampage Reveals Jaw Dropping Info About The Industry

Wait I'm seeing illuminati symbols... is this something better suited to the walls of the asylum? :woot:
No not really, hes talking more about getting your business in order. Make sure before you sign ANY CONTRACT that you get a music lawyer to look over it for you and negotiate changes on your behalf.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 544
Learnt this shit in music college.

Exact what he saying. But it went deeper, told us examples of things they put in the contracts and how they finesse you in the contracts.

They showed us examples of fairly 'reasonable' and very common recording contracts.

Trust me, if you even understood/knew what goes into normal recording contracts... you'd be like 'fuuuuck I don't ever want a record deal!'

And especially if you knew the sneaky ways they straight up finesse you in contracts, like the ones they'll give you off the bat that 'if you don't know better' types, like what Rampage is talking about, 'cause believe me, they'll present you with that shit first off. If you knew the shit that goes in that, you'd be fucking shocked, and then you'd realise why they first person you'll want to get. is a music lawyer.

Believe me, there's so many clever, complex ways the contract can weave back into itself to trip you up. They'll even flat out put obvious shit in their for you to pay for that you shouldn't pay for. But "your stupid ass" just gonna sign it. If you or your lawyer saw it and said 'yo wtf? take that out' they'd take it out no problem.

There are even rights you pretty much need to give up so that the record label can do what they need to. But it still sounds mad.

Even uploading to YouTube or SoundCloud or Beatstars you probably need to be careful about.

Mfers always out here talking about Beatstars and selling their beats. Have zero clue about songshare agreements etc.

There's so much shit to know and learn, that probably about 99% of music makers don't even know exists! Let alone know about it.

Go wise up.

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
What @Iron Keys music college you attend and/or graduate from and Beatstars etc. are the new finesses.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
They even put dumb shit in like "if your records get damaged in transport, that comes out of your pay"

but weaved stuff be like...
costs
on one page it will say music video costs are payable/recoupable by you

rights the artist grants
on another page it says you grant the label the right to commission music videos

^so, the label can commission a video, makes sense right? But you also agree on 'costs' that you will pay for the costs of the video.
so if the label decided to commission a video that costs 200k to make. Then make 4 other videos for 50k ... you have to make that money back.

When the label is riding with you picking you up in limos, flying with you first class in jets, eating lobster, expensive champagne. Your contract might state that youu are the one who has to make that money back before you see a penny. YOU are paying for the execs to fly first class and eat lobster/drink champagne. And no, not out of money they make off you... out of YOUR LOAN.

But you saw that '$100,000' advance and got a stiffy. You signed da ting. Now it's you getting stiffed.

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
Re: simple terms @Dj Iceman I never heard of “in propriety” but “in perpetuity” is forever, correct? Things like this are why I never want(ed) a record deal but I used to think a person couldn’t become a professional unless they had one or couldn’t be a pro unless they start(ed) a label to control their own situation.

This is why I’m all about the facts/truths about the business.

Last edited:
Also... contracts often genuinely ask to own the rights to your work for anywhere in the universe and for "mediums not yet created"

So you know that TurdTech, coming 2078, the ability to record music on turds... they own the right for your music on that medium too. Even if you made it on a turd on a moon off Mars.
I had this in a contract for drum n bass, I read the contract, didnt like it, didnt sign.

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
Re: masterclasses @Dj Iceman teach ya students about

OGBama

Big Clit Energy
Re: your masterclasses and women in Hip Hop, keep doing the excellent work. When I think of all the women that put in the work and were just themselves (but not in the "plain" way as they had some kind of dope flair and owned it) it's why I never want to and don't plan to give up on myself.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Streaming is the LAST stream of income that artists should be looking at
this is what they said about Radio. Then radio became a masssive source of income.

It's now about getting the streaming services up to similar standards. It really needs to happen for the sake of music makers.

But, it's now a shit format with all this subscription shit and advert spam etc.

members online