burned mix on cd low

lowlow

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
i've searched the forum 4 times but couldn't find what i am looking for... i am having trouble with the overall mix when i export my mix to soundforge then burn it to cd the song plays low in my cd player. can somebody tell me what i am doing wrong.

Agent Smith

IllMuzik Junkie
ill o.g.
low as in low volume? are you talking about just beats or do you have vocals as well?
if that's the case, its relatively normal. Almost all home-produced music is going to be lower than your commercial cd's just because that stuff gets professionally mastered (volume, clarity, punchiness, presence maximized). There are tricks that you'll pick up along the way to maximize the volume and all that pre-mastering but most stuff gets mastered before its released and although some prefer the light-handed way of simply putting out the raw shit (e.g. wings of an angel heh) you have to be good and very knowledgeable about working with audio (e.g. wings of an angel)...try pm'ing him or posting some questions in the thread called "wings of an angel's 101" and i'm sure he can go more into depth about it...if i could ask him anything, it would be about this stuff...he knows his audio.

that being said, don't become obsessed with your stuff being as loud as possible...until you know what you're doing, it makes it sound cheaper.

hope this helps

Anubis-Ra

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Damn, that was a nice explanation. Yeah, I was going to say, EQ, compression, and all that, but only if you know what you're doing.

andreas

Iller Than Most
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 3
You need to put a limiter on there to highten the volume without it peeking but as mr Smith said. The mastering is how the peaks and bottoms comes to the right spot and the volume gets maximized.

But a limiter will enhance it.

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
I will continue to spit this... goto har-bal.com and cop the software. NO I dont work for them.
Since I got the thing it has improved my ability to master at home.
Yes it still requires plugins after using it to give the overall mastered effect but the 2.0 version
has the limiter and it automatically boosts or cuts the volume on whatever your final mix is.
After I grasped the concept and started playing with it I fell out. IT WORKS.
You . Will.Not.Have.That.Problem.Any.More. :)

lowlow

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
thanks wings for the info, i honestly didn't see the sticky i was to busy lookin for it on the homepage....

members online