BET the destruction of the black community??

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
I been watchin this TIny and tu tu show shit tonight, you know the one, TI's wife and lil weazels ex...
How is this teaching our young black women???
I hate G W but I would rather have Condi Rice on....

I dont deny folks feel they must be keeping it real but "FO REAL" When are we gonna get real?

I know Im one to talk, as this is my new audience, but I go forth into the strippers as one would into a cool pool of septic on a hot day..

Folks BET did not use to be like this...
I mean they always had shitty sound and what not, but I just dont get it...

(I guess my reason for posting is Im reading the "Auto biograhphy of Malcom X" for prolly the 3rd-5th time back to back)
I dont get when the leading black network propagates what that station does...
Props to Smash and many more that keep lyrically moving things upward...
Sorry you'll never have a place in that crapolla zone.

Discuss.
(yes I had a beer or two but its real)

If I ddint make sense the bottom line is, how the fuckin hell does this show help young women be successful?

N.Y.S.O.M.

A Beat Nut
ill o.g.
I been watchin this TIny and tu tu show shit tonight, you know the one, TI's wife and lil weazels ex...

I dont deny folks feel they must be keeping it real but "FO REAL" When are we gonna get real?

I know Im one to talk, as this is my new audience, but I go forth into the strippers as one would into a cool pool of septic on a hot day..

(I guess my reason for posting is Im reading the "Auto biograhphy of Malcom X" for prolly the 3rd-5th time back to back)

Discuss.

If I ddint make sense the bottom line is, how the fuckin hell does this show help young women be successful?

i feel u on that jeff

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 304
It's actually sad, I think BET is nothing more than MTV for black folks...exploits it's own people for the amusement of others....Television in general needs to be pointed in a more positive direction

J Rilla

Tha Fresh Prince of L.A.
ill o.g.

Discuss.

BET has been doing that for a loooooooong time...there is that episode of the Boondocks that mocks them,but it is sadly sooo true

UNORTHODOX

Father Timeless
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 44
black comunity yes, but maybe even more so the hiphop comunity. which transends the black comunity. shit... it even transcends america. A Conspiracy theorist could write a thesis on the effect.

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Question? What is so wrong about the Tiny & Toya show? What do they do wrong on the show? Shaking Ass = No Acting "Ghetto" = No Talking About Their Life And How They Want To Change = YES I do not recall any of them being ex-strippers = Everybody loves Amber Rose... Tiny writes music made hits = Toya wasn't a baby mama = she is Lil Wayne's Ex-Wife... Unlike the Real Housewifes of New Jersey = Theres no drug filled murderous past - Like Seriously how is this show bad? Real World Is Worse Than This Show... Bunch of people getting drunk and having sex... Like dude come on black people shit... Every other race has their good and their bad... But if something is black and bad it represents the whole race... not only to other races but to ourselves too... Were the only race like wow flavor flave brought us back 10 years... but how bout them jackass dudes doing whipits on TV. coked and and doing dope... Nobody is like oh man they just brought us back..

Tiny is an example of how one can become a singer and writer and make it big... She had that house and Career before T.I. - She not a ex-crackhead... how is she teaching our black wrongly...

Miss America and Miss Universe who pose nude and have raunchy pics on Myspace and Facebook - uhm I think they are steering young girls wrong... come on... thats me and how i feel you agree cool you dont' uh cool too i guess....

I feel you man, I can understand what your saying, I have only watched the one episode and I just wasnt feeling it is all and didnt seem very ...I dont know the word Im looking for, but it just seemed like crap to me. Also in the little time I watched it it didnt seem like it something that I would want my daughter to emulate, however I can always count on you to give me perspective and put me in the right place when looking at some aspects..
I dont think people flip out on white folks doing coke and shit because everybody knows they are crazy as fuck to start with.. lol
Iono, but I wouldnt want my kid emulating that behavior either, it just seems to me that there is so much more positive in the African American community then what is shown on that show.
Granted I stopped watching that channel and MTV a long time ago and when I have stopped through BET a few times they have had some good sitcoms on, but for some reason that show(whilst drinking beer and oding music) just bugged me.
Again hell if I know they may be great people but .... iono.

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
I don't watch either, anymore....because of those reasons, Jeff...

I think it's an exploitation to what we should not be about...

We should put a more positive message out there...

People look up to Jay-z for what he's accomplished....HE SOLD DRUGS!! Why are we glamourizing these people...no matter what the accomplishment...there's people out there who haven't done such things and succeeded in life through another channel...but since he's a rapper it's such a big deal.....

Sucio

Old and dirty...
ill o.g.
I don't think that's his actual opinion, Solace. What I think (and hope) he's saying is that it appears as if that is the message the shows (television) are putting on the people...

Notice I said BET 101.
I would say the same thing to someones face, this is not my view. Im going on what Relic said by them being Role Models.
This sort of role model is not exclusively a black thing.
Personalities that are famous for either marrying someone famous, being born into a famous family, or being famous for getting their clothes off. All have become role models for our children, black or white.

Just because these current "Role Models" are black am I not justified in expressing my opinion on these so called role models.
Kids aspire to be footballers or rappers/singers, when I was a kid it was cool to wanna be a fireman or a train driver or a pilot. All kids want these days is fame. Is that my fault?
Just because I call it as I see it, how does that make me the one thats wrong?
There is not a single thing Id say online that I wouldnt say to someones face, I stand by my opinions.

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Actually Solce white kids try hard as shit to emulate black kids so the message goes right across the board.

And of course all white athletes are homos...Where you been?

I just feel like BET has a larger responsposibity than to be "Black MTV", I mean it really needs to be the history channel , learning channel, science channel , cspan, national gepgraphic, comedy channel but with a view from the AA perspective and with the aim in mind to reach and teach imo.

That new station TV1 is pretty good from what I have seen so far.

7thangel

7th Angel of Armageddon
ill o.g.
why would anybody expect more from viacom?

not everyone that's on tv expects or wants to be a role model nor do kids automatically look to them to be one.

at what point does a black person allowed to be themselves? when no one is looking?

tv. and movies, have gotten whiter, so in that respect what goes on at 'bet' looks to be worse by some but the same is said for any black 20-something on mtv's reality shows or vh-1's reality shows. which boils down to the self-defeating concerned negro hang wringing that is similar to those cringing hoping the latest crime on tv doesn't involve a black person because "it makes us all look bad".

demanding more shows and representation not limited to 1-dimensional tokens across all networks, cable and film, behind and in front, the boardroom, the writing room and the cutting room is the the route that black, latino/a, asian, and native groups have to do again but this time keeping the industry under pressure even if they give 1 or 2 'concessions'

repug and elite slavecatchers like bob johnson aren't going to change but when there was a boycott call from a group looking out for young black women how many joined in? especially when they were also targeting the images of hip hop videos and lyrics?

if you are going to go after 'bet' then know that it's viacom who you really have to go after

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
why would anybody expect more from viacom?

not everyone that's on tv expects or wants to be a role model nor do kids automatically look to them to be one.

at what point does a black person allowed to be themselves? when no one is looking?

tv. and movies, have gotten whiter, so in that respect what goes on at 'bet' looks to be worse by some but the same is said for any black 20-something on mtv's reality shows or vh-1's reality shows. which boils down to the self-defeating concerned negro hang wringing that is similar to those cringing hoping the latest crime on tv doesn't involve a black person because "it makes us all look bad".

demanding more shows and representation not limited to 1-dimensional tokens across all networks, cable and film, behind and in front, the boardroom, the writing room and the cutting room is the the route that black, latino/a, asian, and native groups have to do again but this time keeping the industry under pressure even if they give 1 or 2 'concessions'

repug and elite slavecatchers like bob johnson aren't going to change but when there was a boycott call from a group looking out for young black women how many joined in? especially when they were also targeting the images of hip hop videos and lyrics?

if you are going to go after 'bet' then know that it's viacom who you really have to go after

Tru, and this was the direction I think I wanted this to go in, carry on! :)

members online