Best Setup Advice

Gene Flo

"Current Events" OUT NOW! www.TheVerbalImage.com
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 32
Im finally saying Fuck It and gonna start recording my own Vocals. I wanted to hear from you guys since I know nothing of Vocal Recording Equipment, what to buy i.e. a mic, monitors,mixers, etc.

Can someone Help me out?

Thanks

N.Y.S.O.M.

A Beat Nut
ill o.g.
Im finally saying Fuck It and gonna start recording my own Vocals. I wanted to hear from you guys since I know nothing of Vocal Recording Equipment, what to buy i.e. a mic, monitors,mixers, etc.

Can someone Help me out?

Thanks

lol i got mbox 2 and a mic

Mantas

Diggin 4 Life
ill o.g.
first off u need a mic. rode nt1a or rode ntk will do the trick (since i dont know whats your budget).

then u need a decent preamp. depending on your budget, i would look at these brands: presonus, art, spl, rme, etc.

lastly, obviously u need some decent pair of monitors. i'd recommend yamaha hs80m, but if u got some cash, i'd go with the new mackie hr824 joints.

Agent Smith

IllMuzik Junkie
ill o.g.
word...what mantas said. a good mic and preamp are super important. i personally run a blue baby bottle through an avalon stereo compressor...
some of shure and audio technica's condenser mics are ill for cheap.
don't buy used. if it means waiting longer to get iller gear, do it because you'll be upgrading anyway. you already know you're serious about it.

Haze47

THE URBAN ARCHEOLOGIST
ill o.g.
yep

PRE AMP, PRE AMP, PRE AMP

you dont need moitors if you understand your own speakers and sound waves in general

MPCaddict

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
i'm assuming that you're gonna be recording hip-hop vocal. if so, i strongly recommend you this vocal chain

Mic - Shure SM7b ($350)
Preamp - Groove Tubes The Brick ($400) or True Systems P-Solo ($500)
Compressor - FMR Really Nice Compressor (RNC) ($175) or DBX160X ($400).

Don't go cheap on the vocal chain because it's the most important, it's not like your samplers or synths which are digital. I found those equipments above are best bang for the bucks. And fuck the mBox. The converter on that is a piece of shit anyway.

Remember when it comes to gear, BUY CHEAP BUY TWICE. So might as well just save up til you have enough to get something nice.

eldiablo

KRACK HEAD
ill o.g.
ive heard good things about the groove tubes brick for the $$.
i wanna know about that avalon stereo compressor, what did that run you?
i run an audio technica at4040 into a roland vs1680 and use virtual effects for warmth. and since i dont have a vocal booth my room is esentually small enough to be a vocal booth so i have an SE electronics reflexion filter. i usualy turn the computer and everything else off while recording vocals since the roland HD recorder has an option when you record the fan shuts off.

and i did get my mic off e-bay i saved like $200 and the guy was selling it here in town, so i didnt have to pay shipping. i went to pick it up, and it was at a church studio, i grew up in that neighborhood and never knew about it. it looked like a million dollar set-up, i was in aw.

just a reminder, eldiablo got his mic off a holy man. hahaha

r2danov

ill o.g.
$5500- If you got the money this setup will get you pro vocals with the right room acoustics.

AT4060
Focusrite Liquid Channel(40 comps & 40 pres)(Avalon, UA, Neve,etc.)
Apogee Rosetta

$3000- You can also get pro vocals with this setup if you know what you're doing.

AT4047/SV
X73i
Rme ADI-2

Under $1000- Decent.

SP C1
Focusrite Voice masterpro

$200- You can go a long way with this and some plugins if you know what you are doing.

SP B1
Presonus TupePre

If you tell me your budget and all the gear you already have. I can do you an entire setup thats capable of achieving pro quality.

ManDAmyth

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I got the SM7B by shure and run that through the Grace Design model 101 preamp going into Cubase.

I am very satisfied with my vocals. The SM7B is for spoken vocals and is perfect for Hip Hop. When I need a singer I record with the Rode NT1-A.

I also have real traps' portable vocal booth. I get no interference with that, and my room has terrible acoustics.