Best Sampling Tool

lion-ucs

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Help me develop the best sampling software

Think of what makes hardware and software samplers so great in their own right.
Whats missing from those other samplers?
What will keep and/or increase your work flow?
What would make the best Soft-Sampler?

Also, I'm curious to know how much you'd pay for it.

SirSedric

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Help me develop the best sampling software

You're thinking about programming a sampler??? That's sweeeeeet!

My dream sampler would be a software hybrid of an MPC-style sampling and chopping mechanism (time-based) with the flexibility of something like Logic's EXS24.

I think the number one thing is latency. Kontakt is cool, but I'll never use it because of the latency... I like to play my sample track live over my drum beat and even with latency compensation and low-latency mode I still get about 11ms of latency. EXS24 gives no latency, and is actually programmed to spread out your CPU load when multiple instances are used.. even though the rest of Logic isn't... however EXS24 has no way of easily chopping long samples to be assigned...

...so...number two would be an internal chop and slice mechanism. EXS24 is great, but can only load pre-chopped samples or pre-sliced REX files... either way, you have to involve another program to achieve the end result of assigning individual samples to keys.

It would also be really important, if there was an internal sample chopping mechanism, that there be multiple methods of chopping. I really like the MPCs time-based sample chopping, but I hate using MPCs personally. I also really like ReCycle's way of chopping based on transients and a simple sensitivity slider... then you can make precise changes after that. If there were a sampler out there that let you choose and/or integrate both methods of sample chopping that would be awesome. Even if that would limit the total number of sample chops that can be performed, I would be willing to sacrifice that for more functionality from the sampler. Sonnivox's Sampla has a mechanism like this, but I don't particularly care for the interface..

...which brings me to number 3, interface. If the interface isn't smooth and sensible, the sampler is useless as a sampler and only useful as a highly-technical method of sample playback. Of course, in a similar way to the EXS24, there has to be a back-end or a separate panel/view that allows for manipulation of important parameters like crossfade, sample start and end, choke groups, etc...

Also, there's something to be said for native formats... if your sampler can handle files that were native to other samplers, that would be a godsend... I've spent so many damn hours converting GigaSampler files into EXS24 files that I could use in Logic that it makes my brain numb. If you can figure out a way to reverse-engineer another sampler's format and produce something worthwhile at the same time... you would be a god among men.

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 73
You're thinking about programming a sampler??? That's sweeeeeet!

My dream sampler would be a software hybrid of an MPC-style sampling and chopping mechanism (time-based) with the flexibility of something like Logic's EXS24.

That's not a dream...that's reality. ABLETON 8!

SirSedric

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
That's not a dream...that's reality. ABLETON 8!

Haven't looked deep enough in Ableton to know I guess... You got any links to videos or anything that show how it works? I'd probably get it down the road if it was cool enough, it just always seemed to me that Ableton was thinking a little too far out of the box... I like my linear, waveform based recording applications too much.

LDB

Banned
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 73
Haven't looked deep enough in Ableton to know I guess... You got any links to videos or anything that show how it works? I'd probably get it down the road if it was cool enough, it just always seemed to me that Ableton was thinking a little too far out of the box... I like my linear, waveform based recording applications too much.

Why have one version (linear based) when you can have two, linear and clip. You'd be totally blown away at how clip based music production makes arranging your song super simple. That and you still have the option to add to it in linear way as well. The best of both worlds!

lion-ucs

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I don't know man, how are you going to top what redmatic is doing?

I assume you mean Redmatica
and from the looks of things they are solely Apple products

This soft-sampler will be standalone and cross-platform.

Also, its not so much of topping anything or anyone. Its really about bringing a different sampling environment, specifically one that listens to ppl that actually sample. Being better than another program is extremely subjective, especially in the world of music. My favorite program and/or plugin A, could be your most hated program/plugin while you favor program/plugin B, yet we can produce the same quality music. So really to answer your question I don't expect to indefinitely outdo another product, but more so bring together what I (and other producers) feel was missing from alot of samplers.

inflict3

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
nice!! I would buy something like this!! has anyone here used sampla? if so, how is it?? Ive been checking out the beat thang virtual lately, here is a thread I started..
check the link too, they are having a contest winner gets 10,000 cash
https://www.illmuzik.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25493

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ guess they closed my thread...oh well, i'll get more knowledge on this subject elsewhere.......

Haze47

THE URBAN ARCHEOLOGIST
ill o.g.
velocity mapping...

abiltiy to add VST i nsert effects at any time during the signal chain in the sampler (i.e post and pre filter)

complete drag and drop capability....

Snappy EGs

Unlimitied routing options

Ability to use controllers as modifyers...

a complicated step sequencer

Ability to push LFOs into the hearing domain

Unlimited LFOs and EGs

Frequency Modulation options (maybe 3 way)

Mulit mode resonant filters built into a filter bank (like quad fromage)

I want formant synthesis capability

Tempo matching (like ableton)

Some sort of granular options as well - like the samples are automatically seemlessly chopped into grains as soon as they are loaded

Crunchy bit crushing (like an SP1200)

Sample Sync - like oscillator sync but with your own choice of waveform...

Ability to add more sound and effect modules

Basically i want a massive modular synth that you can load your own samples into, to either play back or mangle in ungody ways!

with all the above features and more!