Best Rack?

Cleverwon

Paradigm P
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 74
Im bout to get a rack to use with my mpc and motif. im mainly looking for dope deep bass. any suggestions? the triton had sick bass on it. but my motif has ass bass.

Cleverwon

Paradigm P
ill o.g.
Formant024 said:
what do you wanna spend ? I can name some stuff but do yo want a synth or a rompler with additive synthesis ?
im looking to spend no more than like 1500. im mainly looking for incredible bass.

MarkN

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 55
something like the ms2000 rack you can make nice types of bass with or the newer minimoog or korg have got a new version out the radius.
personally i sample my bass sounds and then play them on my keyboard, or i use my bass guitar and a behringer v-amp !

konceptG

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
honestly, you could look around for an old Novation BassStation Rack or Waldorf Pulse and call it a day. The bass station shouldn't set you back much, maybe a couple hundred, but the Waldorf may hit your pocket for 300-500 depending on the seller and condition of the unit.

There's also the Peavey Spectrum Bass II (rare) and Spectrum Synth (even more rare), Access Virus, Waldorf Microwave/Microwave XT, Nord Rack, and an assload of other analog synths that can hit you with some of the heaviest bass you've ever heard.

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
at 1500 bucks I'd be looking into a studio electronics atc-1 or se-1 ( new series are atc-x and se-1x ). The atc-1 is the best sounding monophonic synth which is completly analogue, by default it comes with a moog filter but works on cartridges to add other vco's from the tb303, oberheim sem, arp2600 and the minimoog. The se-1(x) is a 6 voice polyphonic analogue, giving less power when patching for a bass ( but still yo, it whoops your mixer/audiocard's ass, my a&h is on the -30dB pad lol ). They both have what it takes to bring out a raw punchy sick bass but since the se-1 is poly it wont put its brilliance in the low range alone ( which goes for most poly's with a lot of voices, layering eats headroom in any case ), so if you want bass pur sang then go atc-1, you want leads n pads n bass then se-1 cuz it will rip any motif, triton or whatever to bits. They both should come below the 1K and for both cases I suggest getting a nice hardware comp to keep that bass signal chain under control because these beast make you inputs peak really fast, I'd definitly would look into a good deal on a focusrite compounder ( it has a very nice bass enhancer, I use them on kicks n bass of course, but you can give snares that nicey subtle bottom too just dont overuse it hehe).

On a note, I think the gear you have now are still appropiate for creating bass, its not the synths because in those terms ( of who has the best bass ) is a matter of knowing the vintage classic stuff. I personaly im addicted to the acces virus, those machines just really whoops anything and falls into a mix by itself.

Cleverwon

Paradigm P
ill o.g.
classic said:
i dont know clev do u need a rack just for bass, i have a fantom and motif and almost all the bass i use i make myself via autochromatic...

I mean the fantom rack gots good bass sounds u can tweak but u can get the same results but multi-sampling one note
well, id use whatever other sounds came with it too, but bass is the main thing. what is autochromatic? by the way, i need your midi expertise too if u got some time.

Cleverwon

Paradigm P
ill o.g.
Formant024 said:
at 1500 bucks I'd be looking into a studio electronics atc-1 or se-1 ( new series are atc-x and se-1x ). The atc-1 is the best sounding monophonic synth which is completly analogue, by default it comes with a moog filter but works on cartridges to add other vco's from the tb303, oberheim sem, arp2600 and the minimoog. The se-1(x) is a 6 voice polyphonic analogue, giving less power when patching for a bass ( but still yo, it whoops your mixer/audiocard's ass, my a&h is on the -30dB pad lol ). They both have what it takes to bring out a raw punchy sick bass but since the se-1 is poly it wont put its brilliance in the low range alone ( which goes for most poly's with a lot of voices, layering eats headroom in any case ), so if you want bass pur sang then go atc-1, you want leads n pads n bass then se-1 cuz it will rip any motif, triton or whatever to bits. They both should come below the 1K and for both cases I suggest getting a nice hardware comp to keep that bass signal chain under control because these beast make you inputs peak really fast, I'd definitly would look into a good deal on a focusrite compounder ( it has a very nice bass enhancer, I use them on kicks n bass of course, but you can give snares that nicey subtle bottom too just dont overuse it hehe).

On a note, I think the gear you have now are still appropiate for creating bass, its not the synths because in those terms ( of who has the best bass ) is a matter of knowing the vintage classic stuff. I personaly im addicted to the acces virus, those machines just really whoops anything and falls into a mix by itself.

word up, ima look into those. gracias!

J Rilla

Tha Fresh Prince of L.A.
ill o.g.
cleverwon said:
well, id use whatever other sounds came with it too, but bass is the main thing. what is autochromatic? by the way, i need your midi expertise too if u got some time.
Only the 2kxl has auto chromatic...its spreads one sound across your keyboard chromatically..and i think you have a 1000

Cleverwon

Paradigm P
ill o.g.
J Rilla said:
Only the 2kxl has auto chromatic...its spreads one sound across your keyboard chromatically..and i think you have a 1000
oh ok. yea i got the 1000 but i can use the 16 levels shit to do that.

Cold Truth

IllMuzik Moderator
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 25
yeah i was gonna suggest the proteusmo phatt...

one thing to think about: spend some time with the motif and fantom... dontforget the eq's and filters there, plus whatever eq's and filters you have on your recording app. you can create good bass sounds out of their stock sou7nd swith a little time.

otherise, i suggest if all you really need is bass, give trilogy a try. its a vst synth, not a rompler, but its what i have relied on for th last year and there are plenty of bass patches to go around, acoustic, electric, synth, etc...

MarkN

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 55
yea i've got the mo'phatt and its a good module, its well cheap these days to but just as a bass module i wouldnt recommend it, i dnt think its that amazing at bass sounds to recommend it especially with the available budget you have !

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
Yo peeps, on the emu rompler tip, try a E4XT and buy the roms for 40/50 bucks each, these machines have much better converters than any other rompler or keyboard/sequencer, plus you got a dope sampler.