best monitors under $500

DrOscillator

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
hey, i'm thinking of throwing down for some nice studio monitors this summer to step up my sound quality. what do you think are the best monitors for $500 or less (a pair)? i'm thinking of getting rokit's, i've heard good things about them.

on a related note- do you think a sub is essential for good mixing?

blkyankee

ill o.g.
open mind said:
sorry for the noob question but what the hell is a sub?

Wow! all i can say is..."WOW!" Get a new hobby B! I'm usually one to help others but i would never come out of my face with a question like that...seriously....

Rhythmikal

Beat's Disciple
ill o.g.

Ash Holmz

The Bed-Stuy Fly Guy
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 207
^^^^^^ because your room isnt properly treated .... and your monitors are likely in the wrong position and too close to you.... there are a million things in your room that can fuc up your sound .... reflections.. vibrations.. phasing...etc.. the smaller your room the bigger these problems can become... ideally you would like a big room to mix in .... and ideally you want your speakers as far away from the walls as possible... i recently moved .. and my new studio is def smaller than the area i had before, and i notice a considerable diffrence in sound... so im going through the process now of getting acoutic treatment material and setting it up in the proper position to control the viberations and reflections...

Iszazial

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
DrOscillator said:
hey, i'm thinking of throwing down for some nice studio monitors this summer to step up my sound quality. what do you think are the best monitors for $500 or less (a pair)? i'm thinking of getting rokit's, i've heard good things about them.

on a related note- do you think a sub is essential for good mixing?

just a suggestion but i believe these are quite a bit under 500$

behringer 2031a's

misscc803

Miss C.C.
ill o.g.
I just copped da Behringers 2031P(the passive version of the 2031A) for $127.50 from Musicians Friends due to a price match they beat for me. When they come(Tuesday) i'll give u a heads up on them. Dont sleep on Behringer cats always diss them but u have to find out for yourself. I have used their products and never had a problem.

Nicole

Iszazial

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
misscc803 said:
I just copped da Behringers 2031P(the passive version of the 2031A) for $127.50 from Musicians Friends due to a price match they beat for me. When they come(Tuesday) i'll give u a heads up on them. Dont sleep on Behringer cats always diss them but u have to find out for yourself. I have used their products and never had a problem.

Nicole

i agree, I bought a pair of 2030'a a while back and they still workin great. i figure just dont play the shit out of them with DB's and you'll be good. I use this set of reference speakers i bought for that haha.

DrOscillator

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
thanks for the suggestions guys!

the behringers are starting to look pretty nice- i've gotta get to guitar center and start listening to some of these before i choose i suppose.

a related question- is it possible to have monitors that are "too powerful", like if i'm mixing in a pretty small room? or is more power always better (more wattage)?

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
behringer has nice cheap headphone pre's

and thats really it.

Try B&W speakers, 602 MKII on a good amp... I'd stay away from all the low low budget stuff cuz in such a case you're better off with your aiwa hifi speakers.

O-H-TEN

aka Tha' NVZABLE DRAGON
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 3
Formant024 said:
Try B&W speakers, 602 MKII on a good amp... I'd stay away from all the low low budget stuff cuz in such a case you're better off with your aiwa hifi speakers.

Yeah, I'm runnin' a pair of B&W 601's. I love the sound from those joints. Even in a small room you get good separation. People that come here can't believe the clarity and the overall depth that comes from these little speakers. They are always looking around the room for more speakers. LOL!
ONE

members online

No members online now.