Beat This! Competition - September 20-21, 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

VVS

Banned
Battle Points: 133
Just couldn't seem to get it working. Was going to have bass and another instrument. But something always felt a bit off. And didn't have enough time to figure it.

What did you like about the mix ?
The good:
Not clipping.
Instruments not clashing with each other.
Channel levels sound good to my ears.

The bad:
You had a peaky resonance at the 1k-2k range around the 20 second mark that sounds like a rhodes piano. Easy fix with a bell curve and high Q.

1695377170409.png

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 544
The good:
Not clipping.
Instruments not clashing with each other.
Channel levels sound good to my ears.

The bad:
You had a peaky resonance at the 1k-2k range around the 20 second mark that sounds like a rhodes piano. Easy fix with a bell curve and high Q.

View attachment 6799
Looks like I could have pushed my levels a fair bit more! Both in the mix and master.

Reactions: VVS

VVS

Banned
Battle Points: 133
Looks like I could have pushed my levels a fair bit more! Both in the mix and master.

I was going to mention this. I target all my masters at -9 LUFS. Since your beat lacked that low-end bass you definitely had more head room to play with.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 544
I was going to mention this. I target all my masters at -9 LUFS. Since your beat lacked that low-end bass you definitely had more head room to play with.
Think the kick was already getting a little crunchy from some of the processing I had on it. So thought I'd keep it safe. Think it hit around -8 on the Loudest parts.

Sometimes I think of pushing up my "everything but the drums" bus for louder overall... but concerned how much this will mess with the perceived loudness of my drums. Thoughts ?

Status
Not open for further replies.