Beat This! Competition - May 17-18, 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

V.J. Retro

The silent beat assassin
This thread is getting weird. We should start an emotional support thread for some of you.:woot:
:clown:
Mematic_20230517_202605.jpg

I voted for @InsideOutBeats and thought it was going to be between him or @Delta_Nine . That being said I didn't even expect to place. I have never placed in "Beat This", so to win it, after being here for almost two years (I think?) truly means a lot to me! As for everyone else, I can't call out one bad submission. I think everyone did a great job! There are a couple more that stood out to me, but I will have to comb through all of that tomorrow... because it's bedtime! lol. Thanks a million to the Illmuzik community!

The next competition will be from May 17-18th! See the information below.

=========== NO THEME! ===========

Signups

The signups will be on May 17th at 12pm ET/EST, and end around 8pm ET, or until we have enough contestants (whichever comes first - depending on the theme).
Voting will be for one day, on May 18th, where the results will be posted the same day.

Check out the Beat This! ranks: https://www.illmuzik.com/beat-battles/?cat=bthis

*Note: check out this site to find out the correct time difference for your timezone:

The Signup page is here (it will open up on the signup day)

Theme: NONE
Time Limit: 2 minutes
*Vocal Track Allowed?: YES
**Vocal Snippets Allowed?: YES

===========
* VOCAL TRACK ALLOWED? This means you can have a full vocal track with your beat (acapella, for example).
** VOCAL SNIPPETS ALLOWED? This means you can have vocal snippets in your beat (very short vocal parts, for example). This is where you can also have an intro with talking (like from a movie).
===========

Voting

If you are competing, you will be able to vote but not for yourself. DO NOT TRY TO CHEAT! I will be watching for cheaters. This means you cannot sign up under different names or get your friends and family to sign up either. If you are caught cheating you could be banned.

Voting Criteria

You can use whatever sounds you want, samples, synths, just remember to read the rules for the rest of the restrictions. What the judges will be looking for is originality, creativity, mixing skills and overall dopeness!

Beats

All the beats will now be displayed in a random order and without any names. All you will see is: Beat #001, Beat #002, etc. This is so that there is no favoritism when voting.

Rules

If you're not sure about the rules, read this thread.

If you have any comments, suggestions, or questions about the competition, please post them in here.

View attachment 6707
how much time do i
I voted for @InsideOutBeats and thought it was going to be between him or @Delta_Nine . That being said I didn't even expect to place. I have never placed in "Beat This", so to win it, after being here for almost two years (I think?) truly means a lot to me! As for everyone else, I can't call out one bad submission. I think everyone did a great job! There are a couple more that stood out to me, but I will have to comb through all of that tomorrow... because it's bedtime! lol. Thanks a million to the Illmuzik community!
Congratulations .Great work

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 544
Thank you @Iron Keys. My original name on here was “space Alexander”. Just changed it a couple of months ago. Every time I entered you were always outraged that my beat didn’t place, so I appreciate your continuous support and praise . Always means a lot coming from you as you are one of my favorite producers on here!
Ahhhhh my guyyy!

Glad to see you finally reap the juicy fruits of your deserved labor!

Really appreciate your last line, brother! ♡

Alright all,
Can I get some feedback on my overall beat and vocals. Nice getting 3rd spot but even if I was 1st I always want feedback as that helps me grow especially from those of you who have been in the game for some time and have the ear for little mix issues and all.

Anything and everything, hit me hard as that’s how I can continue to learn and grow musically.

I’ve learnt a huge amount from this community and always appreciative of your views and opinions.

Many thanks.

Alright all,
Can I get some feedback on my overall beat and vocals. Nice getting 3rd spot but even if I was 1st I always want feedback as that helps me grow especially from those of you who have been in the game for some time and have the ear for little mix issues and all.

Anything and everything, hit me hard as that’s how I can continue to learn and grow musically.

I’ve learnt a huge amount from this community and always appreciative of your views and opinions.

Many thanks.
Bro your track was fire. I really don’t have much criticism for it. When it comes to production, a lot of it is subjection and personal preference, so I don't like to nitpick when the overall product sounds spectacular.

I will just say that if it was my mix, I wouldn’t have cut so much low end off of the snare. I like the snare to be a little bit beefier, and hit a little harder. Maybe raise some focal points in the lower mid range?

Also I would have preferred more punch in my kick. I would have probably put a soft clipper on it and turned it up .5 to 1db.

Also, a transient shaper would make the drums tighter and punchier. Sometimes I put it on my entire drum bus, sometimes I'll just put it on the kick or the snare.

Here is the link for the FREE soft clipper that I use:

This is what I use for the transient shaper, and it's also FREE:

Do you have any feedback for my mix? I'm in the same boat as you. I was expecting some feedback like usual, but nothing... :LOL:

Last edited:

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 544
Can I get some feedback on my overall beat and vocals

I think the guitars may be a bit sharp for the mix. Don't be shy to dull things a little. I think this can cause it to compete for attention with the vocal.

Do you have any feedback for my mix?

Maybe snare could be a little louder or more present. Otherwise sounded like a complete record.

@Space_The_Face, man i just listened to your beat again and i have nothing to add. Drums are personal preference but nothing stands out for me that i would change, Dope!

Thanks for the free plugins but i try to use what i have in the Mpc, learning more all the time. Just took your advice but used the Mpc Air transient and tightened the drums up a bit. Sounds good but i had to stop myself as i end up changing too much going down a rabbit hole of what if's!

@Iron Keys, yeah i can hear what your saying and tweaked it very subtly.

Thanks again guys!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.