Beat This! - April 22-23, 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

KongoRampoozy

Battle Points: 6
I'm pretty sure i won't win this one but I am definitely more happy with this beat than the last beat I did for Beat This. Need to get on the beat battles a lot more! I love to get competitive!

SwayeeBoogie

Torch Bearer for Authentic Hip-Hop
I have to admit that there are really dope joints here. It came down to three that i had to decide my vote on. One joint is just super hard and had my neck boppin though. Love seeing how different peoples brains process in making these beats. Def got some peeps ima shout out when i find out who did what. Nice work all.

ATR360

ReZoUnD
Battle Points: 42
Last time I sacrificed a virgin, I got four kids...!

Listening to all the beats and trying to come up with a method for voting was difficult. "Rock" theme is a broad feel, I can see why it's so diverse, none of them are wrong (except those with out guitars) they're all right. Some are hiphop not rock, with a gtr sample in the far back and thats a rap...but you still bang or sway your head to it, technically its following the rules...and some are just samples all the way thru (maybe, could be original) but again it has guitars and they're rocking. So I decided to ignore the ones with no guitar, vocal samples, and the ones that sound like everyday hiphop/rap, and picked 3. One had a guitar sample that was obviously chopped but to me that's playing a guitar with pads, and the other two had rockin drums and skillful guitar playing (hopefully playing). Rolled the dice with them, best out of 3 hehe.

I'll like to add, they're are some skilled mixers here, I know a lot of producers that mixing is just foreign to them, a whole other mind set.

Good luck! This is anyone's game here, good thing about this competition it shouldn't be no beef because of diversity and technicalities.

I'm pretty sure i won't win this one but I am definitely more happy with this beat than the last beat I did for Beat This. Need to get on the beat battles a lot more! I love to get competitive!
Same, really happy with the beat I made, these battles really make you try hard, which makes improvement much quicker. Its a bit like how humans invent so much in times of war. Maybe people are just best suited to conflict hahaha?

Last time I sacrificed a virgin, I got four kids...!

Listening to all the beats and trying to come up with a method for voting was difficult. "Rock" theme is a broad feel, I can see why it's so diverse, none of them are wrong (except those with out guitars) they're all right. Some are hiphop not rock, with a gtr sample in the far back and thats a rap...but you still bang or sway your head to it, technically its following the rules...and some are just samples all the way thru (maybe, could be original) but again it has guitars and they're rocking. So I decided to ignore the ones with no guitar, vocal samples, and the ones that sound like everyday hiphop/rap, and picked 3. One had a guitar sample that was obviously chopped but to me that's playing a guitar with pads, and the other two had rockin drums and skillful guitar playing (hopefully playing). Rolled the dice with them, best out of 3 hehe.

I'll like to add, they're are some skilled mixers here, I know a lot of producers that mixing is just foreign to them, a whole other mind set.

Good luck! This is anyone's game here, good thing about this competition it shouldn't be no beef because of diversity and technicalities.
Well i mean, habing a sample of something has always been where hip hop beats killed. I felt for myself, yes let the be rock in it, but this is still a hip hop battle and not a 'rock' sample, so i didnt bother with rock drums because the comp did say rock guitar i think? Overall though i think there were about 5 really good ones. i can recognize two of the guys cause the style doesn't change. They have a trademark drum, or snaring etc lol i see you guys :)

Ive won 2, almost won 3 out of 3 but the winner in the last one deserved it.
I dont know how I won the last one I did, I think the virgins were taken because I was already in debt hahahaha

Battle That is the one I want
Yer, you been killing warzone hahahaha i just cant come up with 4 beats randomly for one comp lol

Yer, you been killing warzone hahahaha i just cant come up with 4 beats randomly for one comp lol
Im a lot more consistent than i used to be when making beats, my biggest trouble these days is actually squeezing in some time to make music. I need to be able to get in the zone and if Im not in the zone I just cant make anything. I go days when I just cant get into it, then have a few days where Im really feeling it. Its weird, but it is what it is. Thats creativity for ya. Im just glad to be out of my 7 year block, Im really happy to be making music again, never imagined these battle wins. Lets me know Im going in the right direction and to have faith in my own compositions.

SwayeeBoogie

Torch Bearer for Authentic Hip-Hop
@Primz Just to chime in. People have to realize and understand that Hip Hop is an sampling art form. if you look back at rap before the sugar hill gang took a loop hip hop consisted of emcees rapping over drums only with minimal sound effects or vocal samples (Like Audio Two as an example)and those drums were breaks (sample). This is the foundation of Hip hop. Hip hop has always taken from other forms and in today's time all other genres take from IT. One shouldn't be knocked because they sample or because they make original beats. If it's dope it's dope and i try to stay in that mind frame. i have producer friends who make Boom bap music original only and them joints knock heavy I myself love to chop but have a good clip of orignal beats.This was taking rock and flipping that into hip hop. Whether you sample it or you have the skill set to play a guitar or drums yourself or use plugins, It's all beautiful. When you program your drums if you aren't playing them and just picking from your stash its still a sample ha This is what makes hip hop so great imo.

Last edited:

Mahlhavoc

Freedom Seed Spreader
Battle Points: 360
That remix of Totos love isnt always on time was almost there if that guitar wasnt chopped. I mean was really good just my own thought was if it wasnt it woulda been more.fluid... really liked it though was a good 0lay off the song. Few others were nice, i like the rage against the machine one, just sounded like was an all sample mix.. still loved the shit out of it... really a few bangers, might change my vote when I get off work and can really listen... decisions decisions

Mahlhavoc

Freedom Seed Spreader
Battle Points: 360
@Primz Just to chime in. People have to realize and understand that Hip Hop is an sampling art form. if you look back at rap before the sugar hill gang took a loop hip consisted of emcees rapping over drums only with minimal sound effects or vocal samples (Like Audio Two as an example)and those drums were breaks (sample). This is the foundation of Hip hop. Hip hop has always taken from other forms and in today's time all other genres take from IT. One shouldn't be knocked because they sample or because they make original beats. If it's dope it's dope and i try to stay in that mind frame. i have producer's friends who make Boom bap music original only and them joints knock heavy I myself love to chop but have a good clip of orignal beats.This was taking rock and flipping that into hip hop. Whether you sample it or you have the skill set to play a guitar or drums yourself or use plugins, It's all beautiful. when you program your drums if you aren't playing them and just picking from your stash its still a sample ha This is what makes hip hop so great imo.

I would agree with everything you stated until it becomes less your music and more of anothers, ya know? There is a limit to it.

@Primz Just to chime in. People have to realize and understand that Hip Hop is an sampling art form. if you look back at rap before the sugar hill gang took a loop hip consisted of emcees rapping over drums only with minimal sound effects or vocal samples (Like Audio Two as an example)and those drums were breaks (sample). This is the foundation of Hip hop. Hip hop has always taken from other forms and in today's time all other genres take from IT. One shouldn't be knocked because they sample or because they make original beats. If it's dope it's dope and i try to stay in that mind frame. i have producer's friends who make Boom bap music original only and them joints knock heavy I myself love to chop but have a good clip of orignal beats.This was taking rock and flipping that into hi hop. whether u sample it or you have the skill set to lay it yourself, It's all beautiful. This is what makes hip hop so great imo.
Thats how hip hop started and to many purists that all it will ever be, I used to be one of those purists. But hip hop has evolved and we as producers have to evolve with it, or we become irrelevant. Which is fine if you make music for only you and a few purists to listen to, but if you want a decent following of fans then you have to aim for a larger demographic.

Hopefully, we have had the 60's re run in pop with Amy Winehouse a few years ago, we had a small 70's rerun, and now we are in the 80's rerun with synthwave becoming popular, which means the 90's is next, the era of great sampled hip hop, who knows a sampled boom bap revival might be around the corner.

@Primz Just to chime in. People have to realize and understand that Hip Hop is an sampling art form. if you look back at rap before the sugar hill gang took a loop hip consisted of emcees rapping over drums only with minimal sound effects or vocal samples (Like Audio Two as an example)and those drums were breaks (sample). This is the foundation of Hip hop. Hip hop has always taken from other forms and in today's time all other genres take from IT. One shouldn't be knocked because they sample or because they make original beats. If it's dope it's dope and i try to stay in that mind frame. i have producer friends who make Boom bap music original only and them joints knock heavy I myself love to chop but have a good clip of orignal beats.This was taking rock and flipping that into hip hop. Whether you sample it or you have the skill set to play a guitar or drums yourself or use plugins, It's all beautiful. when you program your drums if you aren't playing them and just picking from your stash its still a sample ha This is what makes hip hop so great imo.
100%, iv made originals and iv sampled. If its dope its dope lol

ATR360

ReZoUnD
Battle Points: 42
Well i mean, habing a sample of something has always been where hip hop beats killed. I felt for myself, yes let the be rock in it, but this is still a hip hop battle and not a 'rock' sample, so i didnt bother with rock drums because the comp did say rock guitar i think? Overall though i think there were about 5 really good ones. i can recognize two of the guys cause the style doesn't change. They have a trademark drum, or snaring etc lol i see you guys :)
I feel you and agree this a hiphop site, but that was my method of voting, because everyone here i'm assuming is hiphop (including myself), but the production range I can't ignore. My top playlist is hiphop/rap, and I know voting that way is in the minority and the "true" hip hoppers will still have a higher probability of winning. I'm definitely not knocking sampling, my favorite producers sample like J Dilla, Arrab, and my best friend who past was ASR10/MPC2000 all the way, but the skill of playing samples in its self like an instrument not just looping I am a huge fan of. I am always amazed of how they can take small pieces and make them feel organic.

Status
Not open for further replies.