Bass

Mike Chief

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 4
Whats your go-to when creating? Do you prefer analog? What type of plug ins are clutch ones for you?

Also, whats your process in coming up with a bass?

Just curious on what everyones flavours are...

Recently I’ve been putting the drums and sample chops / melody together first then just play around with different bass until I get what I like.
Have been using some subs from the Jura plug-in but chopped up a bassline sample recently for that authentic sound.
I play it out on the pads to get the feel, just used to that instead of using my Arturia Keystep which is currently kind of redundant.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 544
Whats your go-to when creating? Do you prefer analog? What type of plug ins are clutch ones for you?

Analogue would be great if I had the resources and skills - with analogue I'm talking bass guitar, if synth I'd keep it midi/vst for ease of editing.

I'm 'getting away with' my plugins, none of them are ideal for me currently. I'm using stock sounds or sometimes NI Massive. Lately struggling to get some bass sounds I want.

Also, whats your process in coming up with a bass?

I play all my bass in via midi keyboard. All of it.
Whether that's synth bass or bass guitar. I feel i do a good job with bass guitar keyboarding and often satisfies what I'm trying to achieve.

My process varies, whether I'm starting with the bass, playing the bass over drums, adding bass last, or adding it to other instruments.

I just vibe it. I usually can feel a vibe inside me, and I let that movement translate through my fingers, often it's mostly a case of just finding the notes but the groove/feel is internal.

If in circumstances where I can't find the groove, it really agitates me and I'll have to leave it alone or come back to it at some point.

unaufadox

ILLIEN
In terms of coming up with ideas, I tend to have the key signature of the track, then I mess with the go-to notes in the scale like the 3rd, 5th, 7th below the root and the octave above. See how those sound. Or I could hit the bass notes following the kick pattern. That could give me a good solid kick and bass sound. Or, before anything I'll hum something to myself and see what would sound great over the track. Then I recreate that on my bass. For a VST, I use Trillian by Spectrasonics. So much flexibility. Also, I bought a copy of the next edition of Computer Music Magazine because it has the ImpOscar synth for free. It's a great lil bass VST. It'll be out Nov 28th I think...

I use two different things for bass, well 3, but 2 synth vsts and one mixing vst.
Rob Papens Subboombass 2, Waves Bass Fingers which is a bass guitar emulation plugin.
To mix bass I always, without fail, use waves R-Bass, and more often than not use soft clipping on it too with a little saturation 9% to 13%, using standardclip pro. Standardclip pro is a game changer for me, do far less compression now and use soft clipping where possible.

RBass is a giant. Also DBX160 compressor (waves) adds a nice flavour helps it cut through
I have the DBX160, never found a use for it, might try it out. i tend to use the CLA2A and CLA76(1176 emulation) for most of my compression needs, for side chaining I use the C1

unaufadox

ILLIEN
I have the DBX160, never found a use for it, might try it out. i tend to use the CLA2A and CLA76(1176 emulation) for most of my compression needs, for side chaining I use the C1
I like the bottom end the CLA76 adds and I like the top or ‘air’ the CLA2A adds. C1 is a surgical tool

The 30Hz or 60Hz on the puigtec EQP (with the Touch of attenuation Sometimes) is nice for bass too.

Also also the API EQs do something magical at the bottom end as well

I like the bottom end the CLA76 adds and I like the top or ‘air’ the CLA2A adds. C1 is a surgical tool

The 30Hz or 60Hz on the puigtec EQP (with the Touch of attenuation Sometimes) is nice for bass too.

Also also the API EQs do something magical at the bottom end as well
I use the EQp1a as standard as the first plugin on the Master Bus(20 or 30hz). Also as the first plugin on my drum bus(60hz or 100hz). I really like how it makes my high end sound, as well as the fairchild trick, using both attenuation and boost on the bass.

unaufadox

ILLIEN
I use the EQp1a as standard as the first plugin on the Master Bus(20 or 30hz). Also as the first plugin on my drum bus(60hz or 100hz). I really like how it makes my high end sound, as well as the fairchild trick, using both attenuation and boost on the bass.
Love your style man. That top end on the puigtec is magical. Also, on the master, it sounds like it opens up the whole mix before you touch anything.

Love your style man. That top end on the puigtec is magical. Also, on the master, it sounds like it opens up the whole mix before you touch anything.
Yeah I love the tone of the P1A, like you say its magical. A must have. The waves one with the gain on it also allows you to get your master bus level in the right ballpark without having to gain stage everything first, I could use a standardclip pro for that also though.

unaufadox

ILLIEN
Yeah I love the tone of the P1A, like you say its magical. A must have. The waves one with the gain on it also allows you to get your master bus level in the right ballpark without having to gain stage everything first, I could use a standardclip pro for that also though.
Agreed. The gain is a great feature. The Apogee version doesn’t have the gain control. It is missed.

I like to create analog bass or find juicy analog one shots (or loops to chop up). Diva is really great for huge bass, but the built in synth from any DAW should have a lot of great options.

OGBama

Big Clit Energy