Bass Guitar Loops - What do the people want?

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 544
You see it wasnt helpful at all like most of your posts that ive seen so far
That was the most arrogant dumb shit ive ever seen what point did you even make? except stroking your own ego?

It's quite evident who the only person here doing the "hating" is

What you're doing is projecting

You would like to think that but it aint true

The evidence clearly shows otherwise.

Ys Man

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 21
It's quite evident who the only person here doing the "hating" is

What you're doing is projecting

The evidence clearly shows otherwise.
Jesus man you aren't as clever as you think,
I'm not the first and won't be the last to check you.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Jesus man you aren't as clever as you think,
I'm not the first and won't be the last to check you.

Funny, I was about to say, you're not the first and definitely won't be the last to try come against me and fail.

Out here looking to be the next in a long line of victims to be eliminated.

Now like I said, finally pull your tongue out of my ass and stop derailing every thread with your envy.

Zzz

Ys Man

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 21
Funny, I was about to say, you're not the first and definitely won't be the last to try come against me and fail.

Out here looking to be the next in a long line of victims to be eliminated.

Now like I said, finally pull your tongue out of my ass and stop derailing every thread with your envy.

Zzz
You're delusional mate, keep pretending you're in any kind of engineering "circles"

Dusty B

ILLIEN
Battle Points: 37
Just reading through, my $0.02 would be to look at this like you're building a start up. Take a look at the concepts like TAM/SAM/SOM and try to hone in on your serviceable and obtainable market (based on data/research) and then focus on executing that. By trying to market to people who sample music, it may be too broad (at this point until you scale and grow), and more data/research on potential customers may help to fine tune how you market and sell your product offering. Develop a marketing plan if needed, as well as a roadmap/goals/milestones. Keep it realistic since you're also competing with the likes of Cymatics and those other bigger players who have bigger budgets to buy more ads and manage their marketing efforts more effectively. Google some start up pitch decks to give an idea of the things to think about.

Given that it's a relatively unique product offering, I do think some finished examples could be good too, i.e. having a handful of completed songs on your landing page that highlights how one of your bass guitar loops was used.

Dusty B

ILLIEN
Dusty and the Bs
I'm actually working on a collab beat tape with another producer right now. Pushing it out for free so not to push leases or exclusive rights, rather trying to attract rappers. If someone like the beats, spit on them and let's keep creating great fucking music and then blast out finished songs everywhere (since very few fans listen to just beats). Essentially I'm trying to build a digital Wu Tang Clan :cool:

Dusty and the B's ain't to bad. I can scream things like I'LL STING YA BITCH YAHHH before the beat drops.

I don't buy loop packs, but if I did I'd expect the loops to be useable out of the box. I'd want them in high quality, with variations of the same basic loops and chord progressions. If I wanted to go in and chop them up and personalise them that would always be an option, it shouldn't be forced upon you. Finding a way to monetize your jam sessions is a decent idea. But I think a little bit of work on the quality and presentation will go a long way.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
I'm actually working on a collab beat tape with another producer right now. Pushing it out for free so not to push leases or exclusive rights, rather trying to attract rappers. If someone like the beats, spit on them and let's keep creating great fucking music and then blast out finished songs everywhere (since very few fans listen to just beats). Essentially I'm trying to build a digital Wu Tang Clan :cool:

Dusty and the B's ain't to bad. I can scream things like I'LL STING YA BITCH YAHHH before the beat drops.
Yeah my approach is if pushing beat tapes I'd be pushing them to artists I really rate and think are good so at the very least it's a calloborative project. If they had a budget for an album or something then that maybe changes things.

I'd personally try and avoid having poor vocals on your tracks. But it can also work if some clown who has a load of followers vocals your beat with some wonky trash shit but your beat is fire the beat will get exposure.

Dusty B

ILLIEN
Yeah my approach is if pushing beat tapes I'd be pushing them to artists I really rate and think are good so at the very least it's a calloborative project. If they had a budget for an album or something then that maybe changes things.

I'd personally try and avoid having poor vocals on your tracks. But it can also work if some clown who has a load of followers vocals your beat with some wonky trash shit but your beat is fire the beat will get exposure.
That's kind the approach I'm thinking right now. Just get the beats as many listens as possible.

And then also I'm not really looking to spam out with leases, stick with exclusives and custom projects only. Try to distinguish myself that way (but will only work if my channel/beats gets some buzz which of course is the goal of everyone haha..)

unaufadox

ILLIEN
Just reading through, my $0.02 would be to look at this like you're building a start up. Take a look at the concepts like TAM/SAM/SOM and try to hone in on your serviceable and obtainable market (based on data/research) and then focus on executing that. By trying to market to people who sample music, it may be too broad (at this point until you scale and grow), and more data/research on potential customers may help to fine tune how you market and sell your product offering. Develop a marketing plan if needed, as well as a roadmap/goals/milestones. Keep it realistic since you're also competing with the likes of Cymatics and those other bigger players who have bigger budgets to buy more ads and manage their marketing efforts more effectively. Google some start up pitch decks to give an idea of the things to think about.

Given that it's a relatively unique product offering, I do think some finished examples could be good too, i.e. having a handful of completed songs on your landing page that highlights how one of your bass guitar loops was used.
Thanks for this. I've started to do some more research regarding the target audience. I also started work on a track today (although I'll probably start it again in light of today's findings) where I was using my loops. Nice tip about it being on the landing page :cool:

unaufadox

ILLIEN
I don't buy loop packs, but if I did I'd expect the loops to be useable out of the box. I'd want them in high quality, with variations of the same basic loops and chord progressions. If I wanted to go in and chop them up and personalise them that would always be an option, it shouldn't be forced upon you.
All good man. Thanks.

But I think a little bit of work on the quality and presentation will go a long way.
Off the YouTube lives or the site where the loops/lines are?

Mike Chief

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 4
Hmm. I think time and patience would be most key in this issue. Just curious, how long have you been selling these with your current state of marketing?

And, to piggy back off of previous comments, who really is your target audience? Many different genres sample....
There seems to be some sort of expectation on who is purchasing these from you...who do you envision buying and using these? And, if there is a clear consumer that you can picture, what steps are being taken to appease this niche market?

unaufadox

ILLIEN
Hmm. I think time and patience would be most key in this issue. Just curious, how long have you been selling these with your current state of marketing?
Selling and promoting since Jan. Had to stop in August...currently healing from a wrist injury so thought I would take this time out to speak to a few folks and get some feedback. Also, to speak to like minded people about this thing we love, and save those closest to me from my musical onslaughts.

who really is your target audience? Many different genres sample....
People who understand some music theory or who have a good ear, and can get my loops/lines into their track. Alternatively, the more modern MPCs have the function baked into its software. Genre...it's really open. The current loops are not funk, jazz, R&B, Gospel etc.....if anything I'd say they were more pop but only because the chord progressions are POPular. No woman no cry (Bob Marely) shares the same chord progression as someone like you (Adele). Massively different styles. Same progression. I wanted them to be open rather than nailed down. Perhaps, from a marketing perspective they should be nailed down but producers I have spoken to often do not like to be nailed to a genre. They know when it's done and they have to tell someone.

There seems to be some sort of expectation on who is purchasing these from you...who do you envision buying and using these? And, if there is a clear consumer that you can picture, what steps are being taken to appease this niche market?
I've have quite an insightful day today. From this feed, to reddit research and another book I am reading which is not related to this feed. I've come to the conclusion that people like me will be buying my loops :D I have a good grasp of theory, chord progressions and can produce the sound that I want. When I produce, often times I'll be fishing for a chord progression, but if not, I know the root note of the key signature I am in and in that case I can choose one of the unaufadox basslines in that key, look for the 1 in any chord progression and use that groove. Maybe I like the natural minor with it too so, I take the same groove but from the 6 in that progression, and leave all of the other chords in the progression. I completely reinvent the line I - I mean unaufadox has made, silencing some parts, using different variations from the 10 minute recording for others. To appease...me :D I am reaching out to producers in multiple forums and getting a feel for the landscape. Making real connections with people and seeing what they need. Generally having a good time though because music after all, is what I love.

I don't want to get too bogged down in numbers and trends and the like because, they can shift over night. But when Tony, Billy John and Tyrone all told me they wanted loops which are around the 85-90bpm mark, following a 1625 chord progression, with a consistent groove with lots of space...I've got them covered.

Dusty B

ILLIEN
Selling and promoting since Jan. Had to stop in August...currently healing from a wrist injury so thought I would take this time out to speak to a few folks and get some feedback. Also, to speak to like minded people about this thing we love, and save those closest to me from my musical onslaughts.

People who understand some music theory or who have a good ear, and can get my loops/lines into their track. Alternatively, the more modern MPCs have the function baked into its software. Genre...it's really open. The current loops are not funk, jazz, R&B, Gospel etc.....if anything I'd say they were more pop but only because the chord progressions are POPular. No woman no cry (Bob Marely) shares the same chord progression as someone like you (Adele). Massively different styles. Same progression. I wanted them to be open rather than nailed down. Perhaps, from a marketing perspective they should be nailed down but producers I have spoken to often do not like to be nailed to a genre. They know when it's done and they have to tell someone.

I've have quite an insightful day today. From this feed, to reddit research and another book I am reading which is not related to this feed. I've come to the conclusion that people like me will be buying my loops :D I have a good grasp of theory, chord progressions and can produce the sound that I want. When I produce, often times I'll be fishing for a chord progression, but if not, I know the root note of the key signature I am in and in that case I can choose one of the unaufadox basslines in that key, look for the 1 in any chord progression and use that groove. Maybe I like the natural minor with it too so, I take the same groove but from the 6 in that progression, and leave all of the other chords in the progression. I completely reinvent the line I - I mean unaufadox has made, silencing some parts, using different variations from the 10 minute recording for others. To appease...me :D I am reaching out to producers in multiple forums and getting a feel for the landscape. Making real connections with people and seeing what they need. Generally having a good time though because music after all, is what I love.

I don't want to get too bogged down in numbers and trends and the like because, they can shift over night. But when Tony, Billy John and Tyrone all told me they wanted loops which are around the 85-90bpm mark, following a 1625 chord progression, with a consistent groove with lots of space...I've got them covered.
I think what may make bass loops hard to sell and market is that bass is the glue of the track, so some buyers would likely need to build around the bass loop. I get that folks can chop it up but realistically most bedroom producers would load a plugin at that point.

If you're marketing to folks who know music theory, I wonder if it's a tough crowd since you're getting into folks who want to DIY.

I say keep trying to find "product market fit", I feel like it's still broad and it's unclear who your customer base is.

members online