Basic Sampling Setup Help?

thaprecepta

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
I wrote this in the mpc forum but nobody answered...

Alright so I'm thinking of saving up for an MPC2500 and I already have two technic sl 1200s so I can sample records into the mpc. If I do get the mpc2500, what do I need to buy in order to be able to create, master, and burn full instrumental tracks? I know you can save to mem stick w/ the 2500 so if I made a beat on it and saved it and opened it with Cubase or somethin and mastered it there would I be good?

Things I Need:
Turntables (got it)
MPC2500
2 Monitors
Cables

can you guys add anything to this list? would I need a 8/16 track recorder? or an mbox or whatever the fuck you need to hook up an mpc directly to pc (i think the mpc2500 can directly connect thru usb tho)? thanks

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
Yes you can connect the 2500 to the pc via usb but you couldnt like drop the beat thru it..
The usb cord is for transfering data like wav(sounds) or sequence data.

You will need some kind of program to record it, somthing that has 1/4 inch inputs like a firepod or somthing.
I would try and get somthing that has at least 8 input although Ive taken to recording by using the stereo outs and just soloing tracks as of late.

I use Protools, you dont have to tho..

Your gonna need to get a bunch or flash cards too, you cant ever have enough of these imo.
I go ahead and get the 1 and 2 gig variety.
Dedicate 1 card to be the one you are gonna save all your songs to.
Some will say to get the hard drive for the mpc but I dont think you need that.
Also go ahead and buy the 128mb ram card for the 2500 you ARE gonna need that.

MPC forms isnt set up very well, they are hit and miss. lol

thaprecepta

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
why would i need the extra ram?
and thanks for all the info - I had no idea about the recording (I thought you could save to pc straight from the mpcs usb)- shit thats gonna cost a lot of money (another $300 or so)
also if im recording to a pc like that do I need a mixing board or whatever? whats that shit for? thanks again man

Relic

Voice of Illmuzik Radio
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 83
WOW you really ARE new to this!
Squeeky new!
*rubs perceptas head to hear it squeek*

No problem though we got cha!

The 128 mb of ram is neccessary so that you can hold up to 12 minutes worth of samples in your machine.
Trust me you will want this, I use to think peeshaw I dont need that, until I did a track that had alot of samples and I had to do it in 2 diff songs and sync it in PT..lol
Flash cards dont cost that much anymore(thankGod) like 2 years ago they were $100 a pop for a gig but no more its like $40 now in office max or w/e.
A mixing board is a good idea but software like adobe I think will take that out of the equation...
Lots of ways to go on recording Glad you picked the 2500! I need more comrades!

thaprecepta

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
ic well i thought since pete rock and marley marl could produce fire on the sp1200 w/ like what was it 8mbs? not sure but i remember it wanst much. i thought 128 could handle my shit. thanks for the info man -im not all that new - its just tht i havent made many beats and when i have i used reason 3 - but I wanna see if my rents will let me save up for an mpc2500.

members online