Basic Equipment?

B

Beej

Just found this sight and it looks like it's the right place 2 find the answers 2 some questions i need answering!

What would anyone recommend is the essential basic equipment for someone to start making beats?? I only have a good PC (windows based), an old Atari 1040ST lying around somewhere, and a turnatable!! Also i don't have the biggest budget!

Cheers, i'll appreciate any comments.

(By the way after originally writing i checked the rest of the site and got a hell of a lot advice, still any advice has gotta help.)

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Hey welcome to the site.

I'll tell you, I've made many beats with just my PC alone, nothing else (not even a keyboard! - I used my PC's keyboard to play notes, LOL). That's how tight my budget was at one point. You can do a lot, trust me.

What kind of software do you have? All you need is a sequencer and an editor and you should be set. And since you have a turntable, you can sample off of vinyl which is great. Hmmmm, lots of options. Good that you checked around the site, that's what it's here for - to provide you with tons of info.

B

Beej

Cheers

Cheers mate,

Do you have any software recommendations? and can u tell me what i would need to hook my turntable up 2 the PC?

By the way, it's a class site!! Glad i found it!

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Sure, to hook up your turntable to your PC, it's simple. Do you have a DJ mixer? or some other kind of mixer? Because you need to ground the turntable and plug it into your mixer, then plug your mixer to your PC's soundcard. All you need is 1 wire that has regular RCA at one end and 1/8" at the other end. Check out this article:

https://www.illmuzik.com/articles/bpcrecording/bpcrecording1.php

Lots of good tips there to get you set up.

And for software sequencers, there's Cakewalk, Cubase, Pro Tools. Cakewalk is the simplest IMO. Get an editor like SoundForge or Cool Edit Pro so you can chop up samples and stuff. Then there's other programs like Fruity Loops or ReCycle.

Hope this helps.

JPeg

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
first beats

Get hold of one of the following: fruityloops or reason
either that or buy a copy of one of the following orion or acid cause they r cheap at around £40, u could also try magix music generator or making waves for around the same price.

All the software mentioned above have sounds avalible with em to get u started than u can start using sounds off ur vinyl to make the beats sound more authentic.

V

vizibl_not

if u got money for an mpc dont even think about anything,run and buy one then conect it to your pc and shh will run...i personaly use samplitude to rec that soft iz great!!!