Backup UR SH!T!!!!!!!! reminder!!!!!!!!!

bluchippa5

Golden Ear
ill o.g.
I thought I'd help u poor chaps out while getting some help of my own in the same breath....I'm doing you a favor by reminding all of you sorry sacks to backup, backup, and backup...I'm fishin for any tips I should know before I backup my PC with dvd-r's...I've heard stories of people losing data in the process of backin up their pc...Any warnings???? I kind of got a jist of how to do it, this is my first time doing this...

Nevermind, I googled how to backup a cpu....BACKUP UR SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!

O

open mind

bluchippa5 said:
I thought I'd help u poor chaps out while getting some help of my own in the same breath....I'm doing you a favor by reminding all of you sorry sacks to backup, backup, and backup...I'm fishin for any tips I should know before I backup my PC with dvd-r's...I've heard stories of people losing data in the process of backin up their pc...Any warnings???? I kind of got a jist of how to do it, this is my first time doing this...

Nevermind, I googled how to backup a cpu....BACKUP UR SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!
thanks for the reminder.

ill o.g.
This is basically my maintenance routine:
1. External <---> Laptop
2. Burn to CD
3. Virus & adware scan
4. Defragment
5. chkdsk
6. sfc /scannow

The last two are good because they make sure your hard disk and Windows folders are intact. Run them through your command prompt.

adomav17

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
sounds like a good plan^... the only thing is what are those two last things, just wonderin because i havent heard of them

ill o.g.
adomav17 said:
sounds like a good plan^... the only thing is what are those two last things, just wonderin because i havent heard of them
They're basically functions you call up through your Windows command prompt...Click start, run, and enter "command." I'm not a computer engineer, but this is my basic understanding of what they do...

chkdsk basically scans through your hard disks and makes sure there aren't any flaws with them. scannow looks through the Windows folder on your computer and compares the files in said folder against either your Windows XP CD or a copy of the CD files that's on your computer. So it makes sure your Windows files are intact and running properly, that they aren't corrupted, etc.

Even if you defragment often or are extremely careful regarding viruses, there's still a small chance that your disk has a slight problem or that a Windows file or two have been corrupted. The functions help you fix that. Hope that helps.

Z

zeoent

you guys do know even if your pc does crash. you can still recover evrything right?

think of your windows HD as an onion. it has layers so it just creates a new layer and writes info. a good data recovery program should get the job done.

trez260

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
get a program like system mechanic and run it on a routine basis, and you should be straight, but always backup your important files to an alternate source (cd,dvd,etx hd,etc.)

BeatAssassin

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
Man I feel you on that one. I forgot to back up one of my external Lacie Drives. I lost about half the files on the drive. My main Cubase Project folder lost, about 120 songs. I was so mad. I back up on DVD and I brought another external that a back up for my other external.

O

open mind

just wann remind fam:
BACKUP YOUR SHIT!
use partitions other than C: so when windows is fucked u still got d,e,f,g, or wuteva also use EXTERNAL hardrives if possible u mobile and on the save side. so again

BACKUP AND BE SAFE.:badpc: :D

open mind.

F

F Major

I definitely concur with this thread, I recently started using Stompsoft's PC Backup which was reccomended by one my good friends. I been using it for close to 3 months so thats not too long considering I been making beats on the computer close to 6 years now. Now my computer is setup to back up twice Weekly to an external HD. Its compressed so I dont have to worry too much about disk space, Hopefully I wont ever have to use the back ups but its always better to know that you have a backup.

members online