Asr-10 Rackmount

trebeatz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
alright, i got some questions, if i got a rackmount of the ASR-10, to control it could i just use my radium 49 midi controller with a midi cable or something? how does that work? and i would also like to know how chopping samples is with the ASR-10, (rack or keyboard version). Are there any huge drawbacks of buying the rack instead of the keyboard? The racks look like they go a lot cheaper, but if i can use it with my midi controller, what is the point of getting the keyboard you know? If anyone can hit me back I would really appreciate it!

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
you partly gave yourself the answer, I also thinkg ( as with the asr-x ) that you have 4 assignable parameters to control from the knobs on the radium. You should look at recycle for dumping files, but most of all ...rtfm

trebeatz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
yeah i definetly will rtfm probably numerous times if i decide on getting it, it's just that as of right now, i don't have any idea of how it would work, but i am getting bored with software and want to try out the pure shit you know. thanks for the help, ill probably end up getting the rackmount and using my radium, it would be nice to get the keyboard but for 400 extra bucks, fuck that. what format would i dump the recycle files into the ASR as? and does the ASR have a chopping feature? is it just auto-chop?

trebeatz

ILLIEN
ill o.g.
hold up, damn, if i am going to use my radium, would it just be a wiser decision to get the ASR X and use my radium with that, does the ASR X have better features than the rackmount ASR 10?

Formant024

Digital Smokerings
ill o.g.
Well... I believe the asr-10 16mb, asr-x has 34 and the asr-x pro 66. They're all the same engine but the OS enable different options which make the asr-x's a bit more improved opposed to the ASR-10. The ASR-10 is more userfriendly but has less features ( I like features ), only time will make it userfriendly hehe

The ASR-X advantages are;

Reads wav/aiff files
DP2 fx engine
Multimode filters
More memory is better(duh)
With OS 2.67 comes FAT storage! So you can load your zips into windows.
Sequencer is actualy not bad, better timing/swing features than the mpc.

ASR-X Pro comes with scsi, the unprofessional ASR-X needs a scsi board and then some. I'm currently pondering what the hell is up with that chickensys internal zipdrive kit and why I need it so I'll post later how that goes, unless someone can enlighten me with this issue ( i is gonna stuff a cardreader in it ). Other than that, both asr-x's come with an internal rompler, with drums and synths presety stuff, not bad...not that good either I made a track with just them sounds and its turns into something ying yang kinda stuff, i was actualy amazed I could make such crap so easily. The Pro also has the ol skool stomper embedded, a 909 kinda drumsynth also made available for pc, I dont have the pro so I dont know.

Check out the thesoniq.com , I spotted a Pro for 500 bucks maxed out and looks brandspankin new.

The most users I've met mostly used it as a sampler, not using the sequencer and they all had different motivations to do so and can agree with some of them and I might even do that in the future but since I just got it I want to see what I can crank out of the sequencer cuz the specs look ill, definitly nice to control other synths but the mpc will still be the master in the setup so I'll slave the asr to the mpc clock.

Recycle is via SMDI ( midi ) and not via scsi but recycle can dump files to the asr, however... I rather chop up the wav in recycle, process them with recycle and then give em mastering, going that route I'll rather save to zip and then load them in manualy since SMDI can be slow and full 32mb transfer can take ages.

members online