Are you sober when making beats?

Very interesting question. I have the same approach to this as you @Kane the MOD . I've never created anything worth listening (if we're talking about making music), reading or watching while being under influence of some substances. And similarly to you, I don't have anything against legalisation of weed but I'm not a fan of using it at all.

So yeah, #teamsober for me.

Iron Keys

ILLIEN MBAPPÉ
ill o.g.
Battle Points: 544
So, I once used absinthe as a way to get a tiny tiny bit tipsy when making music.

Why:
I used it so that I could feel an 'internal rhythm or vibe', when I started to play a melody or bass or drums, if this didn't 'click' with my internal vibe I'd discard it.

I did this because sometimes I would make music that technically is and sounds right, but it just wasn't 'doing anything' for me.

How:
The 'internal vibe' was like a track or a cog turning, I would play something until the music felt like it 'latched on' to the internal vibe.

Why I stopped:
I then learnt how to find that internal vibe/feeling without substance - it was always there.

In fact, I think initially I used the absinthe to get tipsy because I figured I would naturally be feeling a vibe when tipsy and that would let me know if it's good - that's when I figured out the 'internal rhythm' thing.

This was like a decade ago or more.

Sometimes I will sip a bit of drink when making music. But that's just to feel a bit relaxed and enjoy the ride.

But I rarely drink these days, mostly socially or if with my girl.

Fade

The Beat Strangler
Administrator
illest o.g.
Sober when making beats.

Drunk the rest of the time.

But sometimes when I'm drunk I'll remember I wanted to try something on my MPC so I get on it and surprised that I'm able to actually use it even though I'm drunk.

TWU

The.Widely.Unknown
Most of the time sober, sometimes while smoking. Usually that's a 1 to 2 month period where I get a batch of hash and stop when it's finished.
Not a fan of drinking when making music. It numbs my creativity.
Kept the powders and pills strictly for clubbing... I tried once to make music on MDMA... That. Just. Doesn't. Work. :ROFLMAO:

200.gif
rolling acid house GIF
Virtual Reality Space GIF by UBERcut

OGBama

Big Clit Energy